laser engraving.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
does anyone know a company where you can send them any light and they will work with you to make a laser engraving work on it? thanks!

sortafast

Enlightened
I can think of 2 or 3 just in the Portland OR area where I live. Check the phone book for engravers and if they don't do it, they can probably point you in the right direction.

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
I understand what equipment depends on the material you're etching. How you want to approach the problem probably depends on your volume. (Resources available to you depend on your location.)

E.g. if you want to etch a one-off in a soft anodized coating and you're close to one of their locations, TechShops (http://www.techshop.ws/index.html) have Epilog laser printers. You could, as a member, do it yourself or probably post a "services wanted" ad and hire a member do it for you. (But their equipment can't cut or etch metal, just the coating. I suspect it can't handle a hard annodized finish either. For higher volume or a more powerful laser you'd want a more industrial shop.)

mr.lumen

Enlightened
hmm well the light im getting is i think a ha111 black anodized coating on aluminum. i wanted to get it personalized with a laser etch but i forgot its not a bare metal light. so how would a company do that? have a laser that burned through the anodizing to the metal?

I understand what equipment depends on the material you're etching. How you want to approach the problem probably depends on your volume. (Resources available to you depend on your location.)

E.g. if you want to etch a one-off in a soft anodized coating and you're close to one of their locations, TechShops (http://www.techshop.ws/index.html) have Epilog laser printers. You could, as a member, do it yourself or probably post a "services wanted" ad and hire a member do it for you. (But their equipment can't cut or etch metal, just the coating. I suspect it can't handle a hard annodized finish either. For higher volume or a more powerful laser you'd want a more industrial shop.)

moderator007

Enlightened
Could something like this work or are you set on the laser engraver. I would imagine a machine shop with a CNC high speed mill could do the same with a small carbide ball end mill. It would probably cost more than the light it's self though.:)

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
hmm well the light im getting is i think a ha111 black anodized coating on aluminum. i wanted to get it personalized with a laser etch but i forgot its not a bare metal light. so how would a company do that? have a laser that burned through the anodizing to the metal?

Lots of different laser types & powers, so lots of different things can be done with the *right* setup.

I was describing something I've seen examples of, and know is relatively straight forward, as an example. I don't know if they can burn through type-3 anodizing, but I've seen examples of the Epilog 60W handling type-2, (e.g. Maglites,) and know they are relatively easy to use. (Interface is just like a printer, with a couple extra parameters.) Yes, it burns through the paint, lacquer, or anodizing to the bare metal. (My wife made a tag for our dog that way, I've seen people customizing steel water bottles, and the TechShop SJ has/had an etched Maglite on display.)

Sorry, you need someone who knows more than I. (But I hope I've helped in framing the questions. :)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone know a company where you can send them any light and they will work with you to make a laser engraving work on it? thanks!
It shouldn't be hard to find in most cities. Look for shops that sell trophies, plaques, awards, stencils, etc. Then start calling them about what kind of services their setup supports. I've only had my lights engraved with text but I'd be amazed if some of the shops don't have scanners for more graphic designs.

If it's just one piece the setup will probably cost more than the actual engraving -- which is pretty cheap.

You'll save time and money by being fully prepared for the job on your end.

--- I took pics of the lights I wanted engraved and used the GIMP to alter the images to show the operator exactly what I wanted for each light. If there are any doubts in your mind talk directly with the operator.

--- I print two labels with all of my contact information for each light. One is placed in the empty battery compartment of the light to be engraved and the other is stuck to the box that protects the light when I bring it to the shop.

I've had two lights engraved and been very happy with the outcome. The last light was custom and the operator liked it so much he got the info and ordered one for himself.

Last edited:

mr.lumen

Enlightened
you definitely have. you know more than i do haha

Lots of different laser types & powers, so lots of different things can be done with the *right* setup.

I was describing something I've seen examples of, and know is relatively straight forward, as an example. I don't know if they can burn through type-3 anodizing, but I've seen examples of the Epilog 60W handling type-2, (e.g. Maglites,) and know they are relatively easy to use. (Interface is just like a printer, with a couple extra parameters.) Yes, it burns through the paint, lacquer, or anodizing to the bare metal. (My wife made a tag for our dog that way, I've seen people customizing steel water bottles, and the TechShop SJ has/had an etched Maglite on display.)

Sorry, you need someone who knows more than I. (But I hope I've helped in framing the questions. :)

mr.lumen

Enlightened
thats awesome! glad to hear its been done and is possible, i shall search and see what i find. thanks for the help sir.

It shouldn't be hard to find in most cities. Look for shops that sell trophies, plaques, awards, stencils, etc. Then start calling them about what kind of services their setup supports. I've only had my lights engraved with text but I'd be amazed if some of the shops don't have scanners for more graphic designs.

If it's just one piece the setup will probably cost more than the actual engraving -- which is pretty cheap.

You'll save time and money by being fully prepared for the job on your end.

--- I took pics of the lights I wanted engraved and used the GIMP to alter the images to show the operator exactly what I wanted for each light. If there are any doubts in your mind talk directly with the operator.

--- I print two labels with all of my contact information for each light. One is placed in the empty battery compartment of the light to be engraved and the other is stuck to the box that protects the light when I bring it to the shop.

I've had two lights engraved and been very happy with the outcome. The last light was custom and the operator liked it so much he got the info and ordered one for himself.