Lawn furniture

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I was a kid (and yard darts were the norm) lawn furniture was made out of the same stuff automobile fenders were. Big ole sturdy numbers you painted with lead based paint every few years. Then came the alluminum frame web chairs that folded up. They were actually pretty durable for the most part. And the do-it-yourselfer could re-web when necessary provided the frame had not bent.

At my dads are some old web chairs I re-did in the 90's. My grandma had wrought iron. Rockers, gliders and chairs. My grandma died broke as a joke but she had some real nice stuff while she was alive. Then those resin chairs showed up. Ridiculous. They lasted about a season and costed like wrought iron. I remember every spring seeing stacks of those things next to peoples trash can on trash day. I actually have 4 that live in the shade that came with the house I live in.

About 10 years ago I bought a nice Rio Creations set of 4 chairs, a table and umbrella for $25!! This year stitching is busting on the chairs. Held together with pop rivets the cloth cannot be sewn via conventional means.
CD076CFE-50D9-4585-B183-CD23BCC9347A.jpeg

So I'm deciding either rebuild with zero gravity cloth and paracord or break the pop rivets, use screws and re-sew the stitches. Zero gravity cloth costs nearly as much as a chair.
A987F30B-FA61-4AA7-8EE9-62F0405ED1BD.jpeg

The zero gravity method

I searched online until my eyes watered for new chairs but man they sure have gotten expensive. Looked, looked and looked. I finally dragged my carcass to Home Depot chancing the latest Rona or monkey pox, but hey this is about lawn furniture. Worth the risk.

They had some StyleWell sling like chairs for $40. Best part is the joints where the cloth goes over the frame have screws instead of pop rivets. Rebuildable!!
10682FD5-54F5-42B2-A6CF-911A629199D9.jpeg

So when the stitches fail it can be repaired.

Nothing fancy but comfy after cutting the grass or chillin' on a Sunday morning listening to birds chirp.
49F55DF9-46F6-49D3-8C92-D5E30D82A7E8.jpeg

That's Mrs Fixers.
Powder coated frame and arms, quick dry polyester cloth and sturdy joints. Not bad for $40.

We inherited a pair of these from Miss Pat. She was a friend of the family for many years. They're the first and only ones I've ever seen with wooden accompaniments.
IMG_1798.jpeg

These are our everyday chairs. They came out of garage storage a bit early this Spring. It's been cold and raining every since. We purchased two pairs of cushions for additional comfort.
IMG_1800.jpeg