LD12 replacement (are Quarks all they're cracked up to be?)

sackless

Newly Enlightened
I see your dilemma, two tactical UIs with XP-G2s, one with more throw, would be a little redundant. My combo - the floody LV XML Pro UI paired with the LV XPG Turbo (both shown in my first pix above) makes more sense.

Also the 14500/Li-ion step might not make sense if you don't plan on a reasonable investment in flashlights. Keep in mind our light perception is roughly subject to the square/square root laws where you need 4x the lumens to appear twice as bright. Said another way, while a 14500 will double the lumens over a AA, it will only appear about 40% brighter.... (This is one of the reasons I'm a low lumen enthusiast - for about half the perceived brightness, I can get 4x the runtime).

Maybe just get a Burst Mode XML Pro 2L (since you're looking for power) and run CR123s? Then consider 17670s and 14500s (which can Lego to either) down the road?

I can see your point about low lumens - the human eye is a wonderful thing as is, why make it 'stop down' with loads of lumens. Compared to a borrowed Fenix head torch putting out around 205 lumens it still holds its own given what I payed for it; 34GBP IIRC.

It's a case of I say 'yes', my wallet (and my sensible side) says 'no'!

Thanks for all the help reppans, I really apreciate it.
All the best
Jacob

edpmis02

Enlightened
Quarks tend to be lighter in weight compared to Fenix (I have a L2D and LD10). Maybe that is why they are not driven as hard. The original quarks were XPE based so the 700/900 current levels were needed. It drives me crazy that the newest XML lights are driven at the same levels as the old XPE models. even the beefy turbo models (I have two) follow the same specs.

The Lego-ability is great! I also like the fact that you know what level you will get when you turn it on, but sometimes it is a pain to cycle up to the desired level. My Fenix E35 has a tighter beam than my Turbos, and they take 18650s which quarks do not have battery tubes for. Fenix also has a full line of defuser cones that I like.. they do not fit the quarks very well. I have not bought any quarks since their rebranding sales two years ago. I miss the warm and neutral models they were famous for putting out... but no more..

hurld

Newly Enlightened
I know you said you don't like side switches, and neither did I, but I took a chance and bought the Zebralight Sc52 and it is awesome! I run it strictly on 14500's, and the runtimes are good, but 500 lumens of flood from a torch this small is crazy! =-O

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sackless

Newly Enlightened
I know you said you don't like side switches, and neither did I, but I took a chance and bought the Zebralight Sc52 and it is awesome! I run it strictly on 14500's, and the runtimes are good, but 500 lumens of flood from a torch this small is crazy! =-O

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Too late; I've got a quark now.