leatherman squirt...opinions???

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can live with the chisel edge, but I wish the point was further down, in a more typical blade profile.

Oh well. I guess the search continues for the perfect keyring multi-tool..

Graham

scott

Enlightened
The knife blade is far from perfect. I carry it mostly for the screwdrivers and pliers, though. And I wouldn't think of putting on a pair of pants without putting a real knife into a pocket anyway. I always carried a knife long before I always carried the P4.

Scott

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Scott, I agree...it's just a basic "in a pinch" cut the tape/string, minor task sort of knife. Beats not having one handy, and yes a "real" knife is always along for the ride anyways.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
A multi-tool is going to be a compromise no matter what you get. Certainly something as small as a P4 cannot be considered a primary carry knife.

You want the Squirt for its small size and light weight and a versatility of tools. Chances are you will have this tool on you when you need a pliers or a screwdriver or a wirecutter.

The Squirt will certainly never take the place of a 2.5" - 3" folder, nor is that what its designed for!

nyyanks

Newly Enlightened
I wish that the file would be smooth on the exposed edges when it's closed so it won't wear away a hole in my pants or get my hand scratched up when digging for it in my pocket

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
The first thing I did was resharpen the blade on my P4. That took care of the poor edge. The other thing I will do as I need to maintain the blade is grind it down to be more like the spear point blade of a Vic SAK. To address the overall weakness of the blade the best answer is to use the proper blade of what ever EDC pocket knife you carry.
I have been lurking on the blade and knife forums alot recently and I think that the idea of using a SAK and a Leatherman to compliment each other is great. I am thnking of the Vic "Soldier" Pioneer and the P4 as EDC.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Picked up a P4 Storm Grey at the recent Fort Worth gun show for $25. I love it. Had been carrying a Swiss-tech, but it has since been retired. I still like some of the features of the micra, which I still also carry, but since I just saw the S4 in blue at Costco for $22, I'll be picking one of those up to retire my micra from EDC. I agree with Gone Jeepin though, I like to put a double bevel on the knife blade, I don't care for the single bevel they come with. These little Leathermans are sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

--Edit--
I picked up an S4 this weekend at Costco. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Micra stays home in the nightstand now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was browsing around Target a few weeks ago and ran across the Juice and Squirt. I saw the Squirt was only $28, so I bought a gray P4. I figure the S4 is more of a normal "office" type guy would carry. I work in an office, but I'm not an office type of guy. Besides, just about anything that is on the S4 can be improvised with the P4.

As far as the blade goes, it's totally just a simple utility blade. I carry a Spyderco Delica for a real blade anyway.

scott

Enlightened
The Wal-Mart in my area (Uniontown, PA) had them for $19.95. (At least they did a few days ago.)

Scott