LED Candles Battery Operated

glire

Enlightened
Super Dave said:
Greetings,

Is LCK-LED.COM a good company to deal with? I want to order 10 of these for my Alzheimer's care facility. I think the residents would dig it and enhance the mood of dinner.

Mahalo,
Dave
I did it. Fast service. Mine came in one week.
Go! :)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have some on the way and would like to hear/see more, glire, if you get the opportunity. Will they run alright on nimh cells?

glire

Enlightened
Phaserburn said:
I too have some on the way and would like to hear/see more, glire, if you get the opportunity. Will they run alright on nimh cells?
I bought some Energizer NiMh 850mAh on wednesday evening. Charged them using the 'test' mode with the well known LaCrosse BC-900 (who reported around ~800mAh for each cell). And since, two candles are 'burning' non stop. That's about 40 hours until now.

I opened one candle: 2x 3mm LED yellow/amber.
I also mesured current: around 6-7mA.
Mod should be easy.
If I knew a way to upload pictures on CPF servers, I could already post them.

More another day :)

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the insides of this can be taken appart and be made to lay more flat?

B@rt

Flashaholic
That will never happen Glire, you will have to use one of the free picturehosts or your own site to host the pics.
Putting them on the CPF server would mean a huge increase in traffic and thus in costs.... :(

glire

Enlightened
LED candle (F bias -1)
LED-1.jpg

LED candle and actual candle (F bias -1)
LED-KDL-1.jpg

LED candle and actual candle (F bias -2)
LED-KDL-2.jpg

glire

Enlightened
F bias -1
LEDKDL-1.jpg

F bias -2
LEDKDL-2.jpg

On the back, an amber luxeon star
F bias 0
LEDKDLLUX.jpg

F bias -1
LEDKDLLUX-1.jpg

F bias -2
LEDKDLLUX-2.jpg

Last edited:

glire

Enlightened
Runtime was about 72 and 75 hours (I tested two LED candles). Worst voltage reading was 0.96V under load before I turned off.

Enjoy! :)

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xenon said:
Thanks for your effort in posting these pics! :goodjob:

I guess you don't need the white plastic cover over the two leds to work?
It's not needed indeed.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that the white cover IS needed if you intend to use the unit as it's meant to be, i.e. a candle duplicate effect. The white diffuser keeps all the light inside the frosted glass, so as not to expose the "trick". Without the diffuser, the leds will beam their output straight up and out of the glass holder, making it look more like a sconce than a candle. With mods, this could be kind of cool, but it will ruin the intended effect. Replacing the batteries, circuit or leds will result in a totally different light. Imagine putting an Infinity, or other single led light (or luxeon) on end inside the frosted glass container. An amber luxeon would be really cool. I'm down for one of those mods, glire, when you get to it...

Excellent pics, by the way, and thanks! Your runtimes were with alkalines or nimh?

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn said:
I would think that the white cover IS needed if you intend to use the unit as it's meant to be, i.e. a candle duplicate effect. The white diffuser keeps all the light inside the frosted glass, so as not to expose the "trick". Without the diffuser, the leds will beam their output straight up and out of the glass holder, making it look more like a sconce than a candle. With mods, this could be kind of cool, but it will ruin the intended effect. Replacing the batteries, circuit or leds will result in a totally different light. Imagine putting an Infinity, or other single led light (or luxeon) on end inside the frosted glass container. An amber luxeon would be really cool. I'm down for one of those mods, glire, when you get to it...

Excellent pics, by the way, and thanks! Your runtimes were with alkalines or nimh?
It's true the candle effect wil disappear when you don't put the little cover on it, it's needed for a good diffusion of the light. But the LED will light up even without the cover, that's what I meant to say ;) I have had these candles too and I really liked them!

glire

Enlightened
Indeed, the LEDs will glow. They need power, not plastic ;)
The plastic cover is prefered, even the frosted glass around the candle is prefered. Candles look ridiculous to me outside their glass (not sure it's glass; if it's plastic then it feels well like glass).

Runtime done with brand new Energizer NiMh 850mAh (I said it in previous post).

First possible mod: I can remove the original PCB and fit the amber luxeon with the driver I have. Problem: with 2x AAA, runtime would be only 2-3 hours. And brightness might be too much :D

Second mod: replace the top 3mm LED by a bright/efficient 5mm LED, and check/change for resistors on PCB to allow 20mA current on that LED (I still need to see the purpose of the transistor that can be seen on the PCB).

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
glire said:
Candles look ridiculous to me outside their glass (not sure it's glass; if it's plastic then it feels well like glass).
I've dropped one accidentaly and I can tell you for sure it's glass ;) Took a while to clean it up :p

Latest posts