LED Christmas lights---Where?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
But they will still get tangled up in the closet as easily as regular light sets will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

EricB

Enlightened
I went and saw one recently. I plan to get that too. I wonder how different it is from the one I got from KMart two years ago. That one didn't seem to be compatible with the 110v sets. A 110v bulb wouldn't light up in the socket.
Whoever makes the Target bulb should sell the bulbs in packs for Christmas. The Carpenter bulbs look much bettr as they use faceted clear glass (sort of like theForever Brights, but in a square pattern, and in both the Target and KMart bulbs, the lower half of the bulb is opaque (gives almost no light), as that is probably where the resistors and programming chip are. And while the Target light is about $7, the Carpenter bulbs are $3 apiece, but their transformer for them is $85 (why I am trying to find out if I can run them from an Eveready 12V/250mA lantern battery), and their smallest string of sockets for them is a 25 unit string for $9.
I do plan also to get the new Forever Bright frosted bulbs. The pure green with the other colors must look really Christmassy. I also want to get fiberopticproducts.com's Cool Glow light source, which uses the ColorKinetics programmable/mixable RGB LED MR16. I could even find uses for that year round.

SuperChuck

Newly Enlightened
Are any of these lights multifunction/programmable/chasing? I'm really looking to go LED on the christmas lights, but I can't give up my chasing/fading/twinkling lights.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was at Wallgreen's late this morning, and they still had the Halloween stuff in the seasonal aisle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :cornfused: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

carbonsparky

Enlightened
I found the Forever Bright LED light strings at the local Menard's home improvement store. I picked up a 35 light multicolor set. They also had an all blue set in stock. They are nice looking lights. Nice pure color and very close brightness levels between colors.

They also have the RGB color changing ornaments called "Color Changing Lights". Yes, very creative name. These are about $15 dollors for a string of 6, 3 inch Plastic ornaments that slowly color change. This year they also have a set with smaller globes. I also saw the this item at Wal-Mart for about the same price.

EricB

Enlightened
Did that store have all the new strings, with the frosted bulbs, G50 globes, etc as seen in the LED Museum? I still have not seen any of the new ones (still have only seen the ones with the yellow-green rather than the pure green), and am now hoping that the new ones are not the "commercial grade" ones I have seen mentioned, that will not be sold in stores.

Heabob

Newly Enlightened
Easy way to keep lights tangle free (mostly).
Use an old wire spool, (wood or plastic) and wind the
strands up one at a time, plug in next set and continue.
Use different spools for each color/length.
They throw these out when empty. (where I work)
Any place that sells wire by the foot will have them.
Check with electrical contractors also.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
you can also get a piece of cardboard and cut a notch in both end about 1 inch with an angle on both ends to wrap the lights up in. This method allows you to lay the lights flat in a box and you can cut a slit in the side for the cord ends to keep it from unravelling.

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!! Which versions are white, I saw some led xmas lights last year but they were yellow-ish,---
I don't want colored, not multi colored, but white... Brookstone??... Thanks!

EricB

Enlightened
I just thread my Forever Brights back onto the plastic thing they come on. Tedious, but keeps them untangled.

EricB

Enlightened
Also, just got the Target light yesterday. Light is identical to the one I got from KMart before. (RGBYCMW. The package lists orange instead of cyan, making me think it was different, but it has the cyan and not orange). I still have to do the test with the 120v bulb, whenever my friends bring their Christmas lights out and I can test one. I'll have to look at those Costco lights people being discussed too.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought 2 sets of the 70 light Red, Green, Orange, Yellow, and Blue at my Lowes Hardware today.

Smarthome.com (a site that sells X-10 home automation stuff) has both the multi-colored ones I bought from Lowes and a similar set in clear White LEDs

Brookstone has all the styles in both color and white.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw a lowes commercial during the nascar busch race today and they mentioned on it that they sell led christmas lights. Wonder how many people know what they are?

EricB

Enlightened
I saw this commercial the other day too, and was thinking of stopping by the new Lowes that opened earlier this year in Brooklyn. Sure beats the trek to Long Island for Harrows (though closer to Christmas, it is nice to see the decorations on people's houses out there. Last year, I saw one house done with the old four color Forever Brights).
I'll probably go in the week when I have more time. These are Forever Brights they have there, right?
Also, I have the Brookstone catalogue, and have gone to the stores in Rockefeller Ctr. and Herald Square, but these are by order only, so I couldn't see them for myself. (There was a warning on the that the blues can range as high as 490nm. I would hope at least some would be the lower pure blue colors).

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea what brand they see or what they look like. I was just at a lowes the other day looking at the v2 lights and it never occured to me to go look at xmas lights. Frankly I have no idea where they would be or where to look.

I know with standard lights, the ones where a bulb dies they go out, we seem to blow a bulb every 20 hours or so. Last we bought some of those strings with the computer control gizmo. Since, have not had a bulb burn out.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are the 2004 Forever Brights.

My store here in Chino Hills has them in the small 70 count multi-colored flame tip and a 25 count "C9" style multi-colored set plus a "Lighted Garland" and a 25 count "Globe Style"

My store also had a "Sample LED" display hanging from the shelf in front of all the boxes. You can press a button on it and the LEDs in different colors will light up from a 9 volt battery. The sample leds did have a white one but no white sets were stocked at my Lowes

Latest posts