LED Foglights?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
despite what You mean here or in Your other tread, You will definitly need an optic or reflector. Else any Luxeon is same useless than XX px. of 5 mm led. If You want the leds to give some kind of light for driving, then You need a very tight beam (any reflector or an optic not over 10 degrees), if You want showlight effect, then optic with flood beam.
(btw. I doubt the light will be enough for driving, but as I suggest 6 Luxeons, I have no clue what this number will really put out)

imho the easiest and best way for You is one of the optics that can hold 3 pc each of the lux (Carclo optics I think), 10 degrees or wide beam, given Your needs.

Compared to 5 mm ones, luxeons and especially 3 and 5 watts will need a MASSIVE heatsink + airflow (+ best a mounting made from metal to the frame of the car, to pull some heat away) Unlike normal filament bulbs, led are very heat sensitive.
(PS, other thing unusual to 5mm led: if You connect the 5 mm the wrong way, it wont light and You can switch contacts. The Luxeon is dead then. WATCH POLARITY BE4 APPLYING CURRENT!!)

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
Cool thanks for the info!

So my options are now this:

1. Use fog light housings and incorporate a 3w or 5w LED in each fog.
2. Make my own board it fit in the hole with roughly 200 white 13Kmcd LEDs per fog.

Heat would be a concern, so maybe #2 would be a better option?

io333

Newly Enlightened
InfiniteReality said:
Yep, I know some Lexus cars have had yellow fogs for years just for that reason.

Um... Just to be a PITA, I'll have to point out that my dad had yellow fogs in the early 1970s, on a Pontiac station wagon.

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
I've kicked around the idea of Yellow Ion bulbs in the fogs, but I'd rather them all match. Plus I like the look of my illuminated front bird being white too. :)

Before Overlay
DSC00102.jpg

After Overlay
DSC00145.jpg

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
Alright narrowed it down to two 3w LEDs. No clue what the differences are, but which do you recommend?

White Luxeon III 3W Emitter (LXHL-PW09) TY0L
White Luxeon III 3W Emitter (LXHL-PW09) TV1L

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Y0= bluish tinted (meaning colder looking)
V1= Yellowish tinted (meaning warmer looking)

But I still suggest 2 LuxV as they'll put out more light than the 3w and do so more efficiecntly. (those 3w have L vf, which is high, so that means ~4watts of power, when you could do a luxV which is typicall 5watts and get more lumens)

With the LuxV with a good bin (V or better) you could have up to 2x the lumens.

Have you decided on what optic/reflector?

InfiniteReality

Newly Enlightened
Well, took off the reflector have no focus on the LED. I just assumed they were focused similar to typical 5mm.

So I'm either going to use the foglight housing's reflector and put 1-2 per fog where the H3 bulbs use to be. My fog lenses are cracked, so that could distort the light. Or I'll make a cluster of 200, 13Kmcd LEDs on a board per fog and mount it where the fog use to be. Either way I'll have fog covers with 35% mirror tint on top of them to hide the housing or the board.

Price-wise they'll be the same, just not sure which would work better. I'm just wanting light and not wanting to blind other drivers. Any opinions on which sounds better before I order?