LED for SF E2

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
The hole in the SureFire E2 reflector for the lamp looks a little over 6mm. What is the brightest LED that will fit through that hole without drilling it out bigger? I don't want to cut either of my E#W heads yet.

:thinking: I don't see many options to enhance my new E2W. I'd like to be able to "drop in" a brighter, more efficient light engine so I figure I'll have to mount an LED on a brass rod mounted on a brass disc. I cannot afford a little lathe so it will be interesting to put everything together with the tools I have. I almost wonder if I should start with a brass 1/4-20 bolt. First, I want to make sure there is an LED that is worth the effort.

Thanks,
Steve

greenLED

Flashaholic
It's not so much the size of the opening, but the lack internal space allowing for a regulator board inside the head.

That said, it's been done... :)

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Judging by the low number of responses (thanks, GreenLED) I would guess it is considered far easier to modify a KX# or KL# head than to build a drop-in LED replacement for the MN03. I've seen a few old threads on that so I guess I'll start looking for an E2L when I get some spare change. I still want to build a replacement for the MN03 so I'll have save a few pennies for a small lathe. ;)

Thanks, one and all. May your holiday celebrations bring joy and refreshment.

Shalom!
Steve