LED halogen floodlight replacement

Amonra

Enlightened
thanks photo200a, i have looked into those before but due to the little info about the LED's used and the LED's not being tightly packed ( meaning that the fixture will become very large for 400 LED's ) i have dismissed them as an option.

David_Web

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to add my opinion.

I would get new lights with fluorescent tubes. Better colour and lumen/watt than any led today I think (exept maybe a red 200lm/w)
You can get them in colours from cold blue to warm white and they would last longer then most leds (if you get the higher quality once)

I don't know what would be more expensive or what would fit in with the architecture the best.

And be carefoul with leds, they might end up purple or blue or any other unwanted color.

Just wanted to give you more options to get the best resault.

Whatever you choose it will be intresting to see how it works out.
Be sure to take many pics under the progress so we can follow how it goes.

Can you post a pic so we know how it looks like?

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
I can tell you right now: going with LEDs would not be economical. It's probably along the same lines as using LEDs to light up a parking lot.

I would recommend those flourescent lights... not the old fashioned 40 watt tube, and not the compact flourescents either. They're like a double tube, very narrow in diameter, but are freakin bright, i mean, you cannot stare at them like you can with regular flourescent lights. Macy's here uses them to light up their ceiling hung signs.

Another option is to look on ebay for Metal Halide floodlight fixtures. They can be had for pretty cheap, example: http://cgi.ebay.com/150-watt-metal-...578525980QQcategoryZ58144QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Amonra

Enlightened
Im re considering using Lux1's or LuxIII's due to the recent price drop.
Anyone know how i can get 120pcs. SXOH/TXOH Lux1 or 120pcs. UYAH/VYAH Lux3 ?

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
for value and output nothing beats CFL right now, you can get CFL bulbs for so cheap and they are way brighter than the incan counterparts,

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
These are $12 at walmart. $10 at Sams Club and Costco if you have SCE as your electric company. I have 20 of them and only 1 failed in three years. I've seen them in white, silver and brown.

65 watts@4550 Lumens for $12! 10,000 hour florescent bulbs. They even have a built in photocell so they turn on and off automatically.

floods.jpg

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/floods.htm

Amonra said:
I am currently using 4pcs. of 500W halogen flood lights to light up the sign and interior of our showroom during the night and i have just realised that these lights cost me about 60 $ a month to run which is a bit too much. (electricity costs 0.16$ per KWh here and these bulbs run for 6 hours a day)

i could use 300W or 150W halogen bulbs to bring down the running costs but still they are fragile and unreliable, their colour is ugly and still cost a bit much to run.

So i was thinking of using LED power in this application to reduce running costs and get a nicer more noticable white light color.

preferably i will not use luxeons due to the thermal issues, besides, 5mm LED's seem to be more efficient these days. also because i do not need throw but flood.

i am therefore thinking of using 400pcs. of 5mm wide angle LED's per unit therefore having a total of approx 2,800 lumens per unit ( using the current approximation of 7 Lumens per latest 5mm LED ).
i do not know how many lumens a 500W halogen flood light emits but 2,800 lumens seem like plenty for my use.

now if i run them in a series-parallel configuration @ 12 Volts and 30 mA each, that would be approx 50W per unit and cost me approx 6 $ a month for all 4 units. correct me if i'm wrong.

so my question is: where do i buy 1600 pcs. ( maybe even more ) of the latest, brightest, whitest ( not yellowish or bluish ), wide angle ( 80 - 100 deg. ) 5mm LED's ?

EDIT: they must be very well priced too... and have agood lumen maintenance.

Thanks

It's going to fail miserably. 500W halogen puts out around 10,000 lumens each, so the effect of dimming down to 2,800 lumens each would be significant. if it wasn't why not start saving energy by swapping in 250W or 300W bulbs in place of 500W?

I would go with four 100 watt or two 175 watt metal halide lamps. No spot source beats HID in efficiency.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Side note:
For anyone considering soldering a bunch of wire leaded LED's on a board, I would THOROUGHLY recommend that you not solder them directly to the board, if at all possible.

I would use breadboards or header sockets instead, so you can replace LED's in the future without having to hassle with desoldering and resoldering. (just cut the wire leads short on the LED, and then plug the LED in)

Examples:
Breadboards:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/105/Breadboards.html

Header sockets:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/SIP-30/192/SNAPPABLE_30_PIN_SIP_SOCKET,_.1%22#34;_CENTERS_.html

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/SC-40/192/40_PIN_SOCKET_CONNECTOR,_0.1%22#34;_(2_X_20)_.html

LEDite

Enlightened
Amonra;

I would recommend soldering the LED's directly in the PC boards. Heat sinking is much better when soldered directly to the PC board.

I've made some 36 LED (26K white) boards using this BGmicro circuit board:

LED1007.jpg

It is designed as four strings in parallel, but can be wired for all of them in series.

Larry

SuperNinja

Enlightened
LEDite said:
Amonra;

I would recommend soldering the LED's directly in the PC boards. Heat sinking is much better when soldered directly to the PC board.
I've never had 5mm Leds get hot enough to necessitate heatsinking.
And the metal to metal contact between the socket and LED leads should be enough, as long as you aren't grossly overdriving the LED.

Last edited:

beondwacko

Newly Enlightened
The eBay vendor lck-led sells a variety of preassembled LED strips: http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Thin-LED-Stri...1QQcmdZViewItem I have some of his strips mounted on my car. He is erratic about questions but ships as advertised.
I have been experimenting with these 18 LED strips as well. I enclosed them into a t-8 lamp guard with bubble wrap beneath the circuit board to take up the remaining space. I have been happy with the performance of these strips. In white, it drew about 110MA @ 12.2 volts. They throw a good wide spot, and at about 20 feet, they put out a halo that approx' 6' x 10'.

I did have one such unit running for about a month straight just to see how the longevity stacked up. At about a weeks time, 1 of the 18 led's went out. Then next week it came back to life! There was some reduced light output after all that constant run time ( sorry, I didn't take measurements of light output before/ after ) but we're also talking about roughly 5,000 hours of constant operation.

Seller ships a little slowly though. It takes about 2-2.5 weeks to recieve orders.

Amonra

Enlightened
now that beats all i have seen or thought of so far and not all that expensive either.

jtice

Flashaholic
I know you asked for LEDs,

But really, I would look into a HID setup,
shouldnt really be much more than an LED setup (you will need alot of leds)
The HID will be even more effecient than the LEDs.
Just less bulb life.

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
Carbonium said:
These are $12 at walmart. $10 at Sams Club and Costco if you have SCE as your electric company. I have 20 of them and only 1 failed in three years. I've seen them in white, silver and brown.

65 watts@4550 Lumens for $12! 10,000 hour florescent bulbs. They even have a built in photocell so they turn on and off automatically.

floods.jpg

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/floods.htm

I have not seen those anywhere local.

If anyone can find these at the $12 price,
I would love aot have a couple, especially the white semi water proof models.
unless its going to be an insane shipping cost.

Thanks
~John

Amonra

Enlightened
DFiorentino said:
Anyone use one of these?

I should put one in my kitchen. :huh:

-DF

i just made a few calculations and found the following:

There are 25 parallel strings of 36pcs. 15,000MCD LED's in series.
The current passing through the whole fixture is 1Amp
Therefore 40mA is passing through each string
i.e. each LED is recieving approx 3.06V 40mA

Correct me if i'm wrong but the LED's are being overdriven and unless they are Nichia (which i doubt considering the price) they would probably not last for more than 2,000 hours.

It still is a nice eye popping fixture though.

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,

I just read about the new SSC 5mm LED that has 25cd in brightness (25 000mcd) http://www.optoga.se/general_newsdetail.jsp?id=0000000000000rr&lang=en_US
Has any one tested this LED?

I also read the following text on a web site;
Another new product, LWxxxA especially has much better reliability. No other comparable lamp-type LEDs give more amount of light than LWxxxA series. Reliability (time to the reach 50% degradation of luminous intensity) of LWxxxA series is stated as 70,000 hours at 20mA, which is the best one in the world. Most other competitors' LEDs in the same test condition almost reach reliability of 10,000 hours.

Can this be true?