Ledzilla alternative

jameshays

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a flashlight alternative to the Dedolight Ledzilla. I know there are various dimmable lights, and also focusable lights out there. I haven't seen a combination of these yet. Anything out there I'm missing?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every couple weeks someone comes in trying to build an led light to save them money from the overpriced professional rigs. The first thing I always ask is what's your background in electronics? Basically if you know how to build, wire, solder and work with electronics. It's definitely doable. If you can't you'll spend more on supplies and gear than just buying the video light to begin with.

Most camera lighting you're going to want a flood anyways, unless you're doing night time telephoto which will never look good anyways. But I say your best bet is simply making a flashlight rig using inexpensive lights. But if you want to illuminate things with that nice diffused professional look. Led's simply can not provide enough light economically or efficiently. HID is the best way to go.

The advantage with HID is you can get a high powered system really cheaply. 2x55 watts of HID car lights can be had for $50 or so. These also are most efficient at 4300k which simulates daytime sunlight on camera the best. The most efficient led's are in the 6000-8000k range which will look too blue on camera and you'll need gels which kill the efficiency even further. Then you still need a soft box to diffuse the light even more to prevent shiny faces and glare, again more light loss.

HID's come with their own ballast and aren't affected by heat. LED's you'll still need a heatsink, possibly a fan to cool them if you're driving them hard, then a driver, all of these cost money, and you'd better be good at electronics cause one mistake can set you back money and time. HID is plug and play.

I made some fun ghetto rigs that lit really well, completely portable with lithium battery packs I had from remote control cars. They were simply cheap tripod stands with umbrellas clamped to them painted silver. I tied the HID bulbs to the umbrella and they simply reflected a nice diffuse neutral light, and lots of it too, onto the subject, much more flattering than anything I could make with led's and for less money. Plus since I often was filming from a car I simply often just made an extension cord that took power from my car's trunk based subwoofer, the beauty of 12 volt systems, or if there was a plug, I had a computer power supply. Now that's convenience and flexibility.

jameshays

Newly Enlightened
Not looking to build a new light, but wondering if there is one currently being made that fits my needs. I've been using this rig, PHOTO 1, and PHOTO 2
which works, but could of course be better. This one shown is with the HDS rotary with a diffusion cap on the front. Super small and light. I also use a LED lenser p7 as it has a focusable beam (very helpful for highlighting faces 15' away) but of course it only has a hi-lo switch.
Now, I know the HDS is a $200 light, but Sunwayman just introduced a rotary light at 400+ lumens for about half that price. With new lights coming out all the time with better specs and for less money, I'm just wondering if a combination of these two lights (focusable and dimmable)exists.

I will disagree in regard to the flood comment. I find myself wanting more of a spot when I'm using flashlights for portrait work. I made this image with the P7 in spot mode. A flood would have had a very different effect. Same with this photo.

I like what the Ledzilla does, it's just bigger/heavier than I want and of course is quite expensive.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may not want "dimmable" lights. These lights dim by pulse width modulation and it's impossible to tell what lights use what frequencies and with video and photography it can mess with the shot, but even if you get one with a linear regulator then you have to deal with tint shifts at lower power. A nice white led at full power just may end up looking a sickly green at low power.

That Ledzilla's primary market is video, that's why I made my recommendations but photography is even more demanding when it comes to light quality. I doubt much of the current crop of led flashlights will provide just the right quality of light you're demanding at the price point you're asking for. It's always going to be a game of catch up. In the flashlight community focusable lights generally are gimmicks reserved for cheaper lights so you'll have a pretty tough if not impossible time looking for a flashlight that has variable output AND focusing capability and add to that a an led that's neutral and not in the ice blue range usually made more obvious with the lens based systems.

jameshays

Newly Enlightened
I'll just keep playing with different models. I quite like the quality of light from the P7 for portraits!