Let hear some testimonies of those cured or wanting to be cured from flashaholism!

LA OZ

Enlightened
I understand this flashaholism has caused alot of pain to you and your spouse / family. I understand that you have handed over your hard earn cash for this seemingly unstoppable addiction. Everywhere you look in this forum you get encouragement to buy more and more and more...... In the meantime you spent all your time in search for the next best thing and spent less and less time with your wife and family. I believe some taken their torches for a walk, shower, and to bed. They logged into this forum while at work, in their lunch breaks and sit infront of their monitor till very late, resulting in poor concentration and poor performance at work. You know that you are in trouble because your friends, family, and workmates have commented on your addiction but you refused to believe them.

I will start this off.

Although I recently purchased a McGizmo, I promise this will be my last. I promise myself that I will only goes to two threads in this forum. This thread and the for sell thread (not to buy, but selling). I will report here on a weekly basis to announce my progress. In the meantime I will need to see my Doctor for some Valium as I anticipate a few weeks of painful withdrawal :drunk:. I will need to spent more time with family and less time with my torches. I will put these torches in a locked up safe and hands the key to my wife.:grouphug:

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
Re: Let hear some testimonies of those cured or wanting to be cured from flashaholism!

I've seen this before. Let me save you a lot of needless pain and suffering and just tell you right now, this is not gonna work. First, you will begin to rationalize reasons for more lights. For example, (I need a coin cell light to find way to the bathroom at night without disturbing my wife.) Next, you will begin to get panicky and wonder "What if there is an emergency and my wife isn't around? I might need a light as a matter of life and death!"
This will lead to you asking your wife for an emergency copy of the safe key. Then the paranoia sets in. "What about the batteries? Are they charged? Did I remember to take the alkalines out of the lites for long term storage?"
It goes on and on untill eventualy they find you lying naked in the bathroom floor covered in glowstick juice and staring into a spotlight while moaning gibberish about "I've achieved illumination!"
Save yourself the pain man and skip the drastic action.
Just know when to say when.
:) :) :)

summerwind

Newly Enlightened
Re: Let hear some testimonies of those cured or wanting to be cured from flashaholism!

well i know i'm a flashsicky already......i just dumped a $1,200.00 Canon lens from my collection of glass, just so i could keep on going..........it pretty much mirrors the focal length of another lens so i won't miss it............nah i don't think i'll miss it, maybe though........but i really wasn't using it...................of course there are other lights needed right?.....doesn't mean i got a problem though...............does it?

nah i don't need the lens..................

LA OZ

Enlightened

Hey guys, you are not ready for this thread. This is only for those that wants help and looking for support for their addiction. I am sure you are not. So BOO, out you go.

LA OZ

Enlightened

Since you does not recognised the problem, than I am sure you are not ready either. Boo, out you go.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't bought a flashlight since I got my HDS U60GT - I'm cured.
smile.gif

I do want a Surefire L5 and a HDS U85 and the new Arc LS that's coming out...maybe a milkyspit ML1 and a millermods Arc AAA CREE two stage...but apart from that...yeah, I've kicked the habbit.

CFU

Mad1

Enlightened

I'm not technically cured, i've just got no money at the moment. :D

Saying that I have asked for a light for Christmas.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
I haven't bought a flashlight since I got my HDS U60GT - I'm cured.
smile.gif

I do want a Surefire L5 and a HDS U85 and the new Arc LS that's coming out...maybe a milkyspit ML1 and a millermods Arc AAA CREE two stage...but apart from that...yeah, I've kicked the habbit.

CFU

Are you sure you kicked the habbit. I have no doubt you are still lurking around the forum and still have all these wants for more flashlights...:thumbsdow. Boo on you.

Last edited:

summerwind

Newly Enlightened

LA OZ is so right...i'm outa this thread, and i don't think i have a problem either........just so long as no one posts one of them thar links to some more cool stuff.............although...........i do know Cindy at "theledman's" Sandwich Shoppe.............is that a problem?

LA OZ

Enlightened
Mad1 said:
I'm not technically cured, i've just got no money at the moment. :D

Saying that I have asked for a light for Christmas.

I wish you all the best and hope that you put the money somewhere difficult to get (like buying a home) when you do have them. Don't get involved as it is bad to get into this addiction. Read testimonies in this link from time to time and tell yourself that I don't want to be involved. I am sure some good testimonies will come eventually.

Last edited:

LA OZ

Enlightened
summerwind said:
LA OZ is so right...i'm outa this thread, and i don't think i have a problem either........just so long as no one posts one of them thar links to some more cool stuff.............although...........i do know Cindy at "theledman's" Sandwich Shoppe.............is that a problem?

Summerwind, you know the answer so don't ask.... The answer is YES.
(Edited - got it wrong way around)

Last edited:

strat1080

Newly Enlightened

I think I'm somewhat cured now. When I first got into this hobby I was looking for the ultimate bright flashlight, some good outdoor gear, and other things. I've got most of my needs handled and haven't spent a terrible amount of money. What really helped me out was picking up a SF 9N for $15. My wife actually bought it for me. I'm a newlywed and when my wife first found out about my flashlight obsession she was kind of jealous. She now understands my obsession and understands why flashlights can come in very handy. She also understands why cheap flashlights are just that, cheap. She has seen what the SF 9N that she bought me can do. Its about 1/2 the size and weight of a 2D Maglite yet it completely obliterates it in output and the beam quality is just not even comparable.

When I first got into flashlights I was up front with my wife and let her know which flashlights I needed and for which purposes. She was really sold on me getting some good flashlights more my hiking and mountaineering trips. I just told her that if I have good illumination tools, I'll most likely return unlike the many people who get lost in the woods every year who usually aren't very prepared. All she said was, "if you really need them thats fine, just be smart and look for good deals". I had a plan from the beginning and only bought lights that I had a good use for. The result, I'm happy and I haven't destroyed my marriage yet. The key to justifying the value of a more expensive flashlight is to do a demonstration and compare it to a cheaper flashlight.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened

I think that you perhaps shouldn't completely stop buying and using flashlights. After all, you probably started your flashoholism for a good reason. Having access to flashlights in everyday life can be, and is often great, as long as it doesn't hinder more than it helps. I would probably just cut down on purshases and browsing the internet for information if I were you.

If you truly desire to just quit however, I recomend you don't do it drasticly, but tone it down untill you can stop without worrying about it.

prof

Enlightened

guys, you're reading this on CPF. If you really want to stop, then don't come here anymore. Mail all your lights except 1 mag and 1 minimag to Craig or Doug P for reviews (heck, just send 'em to me and I'll forward them for you). No problems. Go cold turkey.

gotta go.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England

Thanks to my A2, my Flashaholic *PURCHASING* tendencies are in remission, ever since the A2 came my way, i have purchased *NO* new lights, in fact, i have plans to turn some of my unopened "stash" into Christmas gifts

it was touch-and-go for a while with the announcement of the Fenix P1D CE, but i've been able to withstand the urge so far, partially due to the price, partially due to the slightly ringy beam of the P1D CE (says the owner of an A2 Aviator ;) )

my Flashaholic *USING* tendencies are still strong, however, i look for reasons to use my toys, simply because they're fun

Thank you, SureFire, thank you for making the A2 Aviator, it's cured my purchasing obsession :)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been limiting my CPF time and trying to to buy anthing unless i see it as having "long term" potential.

My next purchase will be a Ti Cree PD when they come out unless Lux has a new gem

alberto

Enlightened

No matter how successful you are now at quitting, and how many promises you make to yourself, there will be one irresistable light sometime in the future that will cause you to break down. So, why suffer until then. Enjoy your obsession.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think one key thing to kicking this habit (and yes, it is tantamount to an addiction) is to, hopefully before you go on a big buying spree, figure out exactly what drew you to this forum/hobby (for me it was the possibility of having a substantially bright light small enough to fit on your keychain), then plan out what combo of features in a set of lights (has anyone here actually cut theirs down to ONE light?) you are looking for (for me, it would be something like: multi-level edc with very bright max and a holster, multi-level small EDC for around the neck lanyard carry, large Mag-lite sized super bright output light, a couple long-running lights for emergency), and then check them off as they arrive.

Have I done this? Nope, and now I have several lights that overlap in function, none of which are cheapie chinese lights, which I find difficult to let go of because I either (a) got a custom leather holster made for it which I probably wouldn't be able to recoup costs on, or (b) the look and feel of the light has grown on me too much.

Take heed, newbies! I'm not saying get a junky light and quit; on the contrary, getting a quality light in each bracket, hopefully a used one to save some money, is probably the best route, since it will last you longer and will be less prone to obsolescence (imagined or otherwise).

TorchMan

Enlightened

Hi, my screename's Torchman, and I'm a flashaholic!

I've seen a few lights I want lately. Not going to be getting them. :broke:

I'm quite pleased with the ones I have, and the day will come again when I experience the rush of ordering, waiting on delivery, and finally use of a new light! Cured? I'm not getting worse, I'm getting brighter!!! :rock: