LGI Build Update w/Pictures

RickLux

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today and had to wait an hour to try it out in the dark. I didn't want to waste the moment in my bathroom. So soon as it was dark out I went to the lake and woods behind my house.
wouldn't you know it's a full moon. Hey Charlie this light is really bright in my bathroom. Thx real nice light. Hey whats this almost unperceptive little switch on the bottom for?
click..... Poof

whoaa!! i am invisable now, nice feature!!

RickLux

Newly Enlightened
Boy do I feel silly. I didn't go invisible after all........ My wife and son couldn't see me cause the light was shining in their eyes. Hey my mistake ! It was the on switch.

I can't see!! I can't see!!

Anyone could have made this mistake.
icon3.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Aaack, we Hawaiians're outta this one. I gotta move to the mainland after retirement. Not just cheap shipping, but free sky shows, too...

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Why r u outta this one? You can't see from there? I used to watch em all the time from the north shore. Kolekole pass was always a good place too. Heh just get outta the big city.(Mililani is pretty big now
tongue.gif
)

2 more hours and I'm gonna wake up the kids to go count falling stars. They counted over a hundred in ahour during the Perseids.

Best regards,
Randy

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
LG5 Question / Suggestion:

Originally posted by MR Bulk:

I know for almost a fact that the Legend LXs are probably out as donors since I don't make circuits anyway, and the LX running a 5W on DD @6V is not even as bright as the average LGI, if preliminary experiments with the meager number of 5Ws I have now are any indication.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was thinking if the Legend LX's are not suitable for a 5w (or you can't get any good ones
wink.gif
), Would they make a good host for a 1w side emitter ?

The LX's reflector is fairly large (at least in proportion to the body size) and Lambda has had some great results with the 1w SE.

What do you think ?

Oh and if the answer is "yes that will work", I hereby put myself 1st in line for one
grin.gif

Berg

Newly Enlightened
Woohoo... it arrived.
All the way to sunny Queensland in Australia.
Typical though I had an appointment yesterday afternoon so I left work early so i didnt even know till I got to work this morning it came in yesterday.

<blink><blink>
dont switch on with pointed at face...

smile.gif

cableguy

Newly Enlightened
Hey!!! Someone in Australia Got His LGI before I Get Mine? I wore A path in the carpet pacing back and forth!!! What is the mailman Doing, swimming over here with it?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Berg, glad to hear it arrived safe and sound. Now play nicely with others.

cableguy, e-mail me with your real info and I'll check the Stamps.com Delivery Confirmation log.

Merkava

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived 4 days ago. Like all my flashlights after receiving them in the mail, I just had to look at it directly after loading in fresh batteries and see spots afterwards...anybody got this addiction?

Brighter than my Lady Illuminator but then, it's running on 2AA. The LGI has an even lighting and is nearly as bright as the Cyclop but the Cyclop has a longer throw and whiter light.

LGI owner should resist the temptation of unscrewing the head beyond the 2nd O-ring (read the instruction). The base of my collimator got shaved off by the soldering lead on the 2 wires, I probably went a little beyond the 2nd O-ring. I can see the scratch mark on the collimator and bits of shavings. It wasn't scratch before I removed the head and went a little too far.

Like dust and specks on a camera lens, I must add that the scratch mark/shaving bits from the reflector does not affect lighting quality.

Now to get a new collimator and epoxy the head to the body to prevent this from happening.

Light Year

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by x-ray:
LG5 Question / Suggestion:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MR Bulk:

I know for almost a fact that the Legend LXs are probably out as donors since I don't make circuits anyway, and the LX running a 5W on DD @6V is not even as bright as the average LGI, if preliminary experiments with the meager number of 5Ws I have now are any indication.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was thinking if the Legend LX's are not suitable for a 5w (or you can't get any good ones
wink.gif
), Would they make a good host for a 1w side emitter ?

The LX's reflector is fairly large (at least in proportion to the body size) and Lambda has had some great results with the 1w SE.

What do you think ?

Oh and if the answer is "yes that will work", I hereby put myself 1st in line for one
grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">does anyone know if the 1w SE would work with the legend lx, I have a couple of legends just asking to be modified...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Light Year,

Just made one and ran it on both lithiums (for 6V), ain't that bright (used an "average" Luxeon which did not make it into the last LGI production run) -- Luxeons will reach a certain point of brightness after which any further voltage increase provides no additional output.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Light Year,

used an "average" Luxeon which did not make it into the last LGI production run
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Mr Bulk,

I think we've got our wires crossed, in my earlier post which light year just quoted I asked if a 1w side emitter would work well in a Legend LX.

It would seem from your statement above that you just made one using a standard LS, that is unless you normally use side emitters in your LGI's (If I'm wrong, I'll accept a good
twak.gif
)

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
A-hah! I stand corrected. Still, it is my guess with the smaller and less-shiny reflector of the LX, as well as the fact the bottom end of the reflector would have to be cut off to further expand the hole so that the SE could pass through to do its magic with the reflected side light, a critical part of the reflector's conical bottom end is lost.

The same 1-watt SE that Lambda sent me was used with the Legend 3AA reflector and Minimag reflector, both with poor results (dimmer amd more scattered and broken-up beam than all batwing LGIs I had on hand to compare with) yet immediately made well over 4,000 lux with the big mirror-like reflector of the 3D Maglite.

So the side-emitted light seems to need more of a specific type of "elbow room" to develop its beam before being reflected forward, and this certain formation of reflector wall is only achieved at the present time in a larger reflector. I presume that is why they must use computers to design differently shaped reflectors for different type lamps.

So someone should try the medium-sized LX reflector anyway (but not me, don't have any more 1-watt SEs), after polishing it up some first...