Light and compact metal housing headlamp request

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
I've been turned on to all the best lights I've purchased over the years from this forum, so I'm hear again with a request.

I currently run some Zebralight 18650 battery headlamps that are awesome. However, I'm looking for a headlamp that is much smaller, maybe as small as AAA sized battery, OR the li-ion rechargeable if there is such a thing, to save weight on the light AND extra batteries I bring into the back country on fly fishing and ultra light backpacking adventures. Must have a metal housing, as I've spent my last time without light due to a plastic light breaking in the deep wilderness! I always bring an extra backup now, so it will save on weight and space also for the 2nd light.

I've been turned on to all the best lights I've purchased over the years from this forum, so I'm hear again with a request.

I currently run some Zebralight 18650 battery headlamps that are awesome. However, I'm looking for a headlamp that is much smaller, maybe as small as AAA sized battery, OR the li-ion rechargeable if there is such a thing, to save weight on the light AND extra batteries I bring into the back country on fly fishing and ultra light backpacking adventures. Must have a metal housing, as I've spent my last time without light due to a plastic light breaking in the deep wilderness! I always bring an extra backup now, so it will save on weight and space also for the 2nd light.
I like the Olight Array, Array 2, Array 2S. They have the cell or battery in the back, just the light in front. I don't want to strap an 18650 (or a 21700!) on my forehead, just the light.

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
I like the Olight Array, Array 2, Array 2S. They have the cell or battery in the back, just the light in front. I don't want to strap an 18650 (or a 21700!) on my forehead, just the light.
The Zebralight H53Fw AA is only 2.8 ounces using a AA and only 320 lumens VS the Array 2 at 600 Lumens and 3.84oz. I'm leaning towards the Zebra, as weight is more important at this point. I like the looks of that Array though. Thanks for the input.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I if you're looking to save space and weight, the headlamp and handheld should use the same battery. What handheld do you prefer to use?

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
I if you're looking to save space and weight, the headlamp and handheld should use the same battery. What handheld do you prefer to use?
I don't use a hand held. I take 1 headlamp and an extra battery. I need some lumens, say 200-400? I want it to be a metal housing and weigh as little as possible. Perhaps if I could find a small handheld that oriented out the side like a headlamp does I could mount it on one of my existing headlamp head straps?

Last edited:

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
I found this one, looks pretty slick! Anyone use it?

Fenix HM50R V2.0 Headlamp - 700 Lumens

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice choice. I go with an Acebeam H40 myself. 1050 lumens for a minute, dimming down to 350 lumens for near an hour on an 1100 mAh Orbtronic 14500 cell. Works with lithium, NiMH and alkaline AA too. Only costs $30. Weighs 34 grams plus battery. Seems hard to find now though.