Light to sweep property for invasive, toxic, well-camouflaged toads

Poppy

Flashaholic
Night vision (light amplifiers) are usually of lower resolution which is no way helps to detect poorly visible objects.

Thermal vision does help with warm blooded creatures. Those are cold blooded, i.e. their body temperature is equal to the ambient one. They will be invisible.
Vadimax,
Thanks. So... that's a double No!
I hadn't considered that they are cold blooded pests. :oops:

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the duration of your nightly hunts? There is one type of flashlight that will always be the king in color rendering and that is incandescent. Something like an older magcharger would do the job handily but not good for all night excursions and will need charging. Just throwing the idea out there.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
For brown, red, and orange rendering, you're going to want an R9080 binned 219B, probably in 4000K or 4500K. Only lights I can think of off the top of my head that actually have those would be a Fireflies E07 or ROT66. Emisar has some D4v2s with E21As which would do well as a substitute however they are low output even compared to a 219B.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the duration of your nightly hunts? There is one type of flashlight that will always be the king in color rendering and that is incandescent. Something like an older magcharger would do the job handily but not good for all night excursions and will need charging. Just throwing the idea out there.

I didn't think to suggest that, but yeah a regulated incandescent....so an A2 Aviator, with a bi-pin adapter while they are still available will provide by the far the best color, especially those pesky browns and reds that LEDs almost universally suck at.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
We have cuban tree frogs here in Gainesville, FL. Dunno if I have ever seen a cane toad, I will keep my eye out. My Miniature goldendoodle definitely likes to mess with our native toads when he sees one. :eek:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think to suggest that, but yeah a regulated incandescent....so an A2 Aviator, with a bi-pin adapter while they are still available will provide by the far the best color, especially those pesky browns and reds that LEDs almost universally suck at.
Reckon some of the NW and high CRI LEDs just fine these days tbh.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any measures of prevention that could be used short fencing?
What about traps or areas they might prefer that you could lure them to as they have no natural enemies can you use that against them?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milwaukee Flashflood 1500 lumen 18 volt floodlight. Won't dim in minutes or seconds like most flashlights, is warm white and decent c.r.i. (80), and will give long runtimes with quick charging. Not technically a flashlight, but has a handle to carry it and you can set it down for hands free work.

desertrunner

Banned
Im not a Fenix guy, but their PD36r is USB-C...

Fenix-PD36R-Flashlight-charging.jpg

Last edited:

desertrunner

Banned
How are you killing these toads, with a 22lr pistol?

Also, the 36r has the battery you want to...

Fenix-PD36R-Flashlight-battery.jpg

Last edited: