I need a new flashlight for property

go_tigers

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight: get new or replace LED
I've have a Thorfire C8S 1000 lumens for probably 6 years. I dropped it and this time it killed it. I really liked that flashlight. The thorfire is about 5-6" long with a tail switch. That seems just right. Small enough for the pocket and big enough to firmly hold. It used 2 CR123.

In the past i've had Streamlight, inforce, surefire and Jetbeam that i've liked. I don't buy enough flashlights to know what features to look for. I usually come across them and buy on an impulse. I usually have 3-4 decent lights around, but they have slowly gone away for one reason or another. Now all i have is a cheap coleman that some one gave me as a cheap xmas gift last year.

I would like CR123, AAA or 18650.

Budget > $80

group
group
group

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
Take a look at an Emisar D1 w/XHP70.3@ 5K 90CRI LED. Great general propose light for under $50 w/o battery. I have one & it gets used ALOT

gilly

Enlightened
Armytek Doberman or Viking would be great. Solid build, potted electronics - stands up to rugged use.

Discount code: "flashlightreviews15" for 15% off thanks to our buddy Selfbuilt who reviews lights.

https://flashlightreviews.ca/

Last edited:

go_tigers

Newly Enlightened
18650 battery should be the most economical in the long run.

How do you use flashlights?

What are typical distances? Sometimes you need to see longer away? How far?

around the property to find the dog, go fix the well, etc.

300 ft max, but usually 70-100.

It is pitch black out here. No street/city lights and houses far apart. There are lots of yotes and bob cats and other other animals. I want to clearly see what it is.

Brokenarrow

Newly Enlightened
Emisar D1 With W1 & Emisar D4k with W2
I have both and take a walk around our 7 acres nightly looking at the wildlife - foxes, deer, coons, skunks. Still have not spotted bigfoot but in time I will find him.
All I need- Not sure why I have the other 25 lights

Poppy

Flashaholic
That would be a XML-2 LED.
Certainly there would be a need to solder the connections too.
So, $11 to repair the thorfire, or $20 to replace it with a Convoy.
I believe that Convoy set the bar for quality in low cost lights.

It's a judgment call. At these prices you can't go too far wrong.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Come to think of it, perhaps your thorfire broke when you dropped it because the connection to the LED broke. Take it apart and give it a look. Like my father always said... "it's already broken, take it apart and see if you can fix it."

You might find a loose/disconnected wire that all you need to do is to resolder it.

go_tigers

Newly Enlightened
No one suggested it, but based on comments about specs i want to order the Fenix PD32 from Edison Bright on Amazon once i get paid. 1200 lumens, good throw, good battery life, common batteries, etc.

What does everyone think about the PD32?

I will probably order a couple of the others suggestions. I did order a cheaper ACEBEAM Pokelit for $17 on Amazon. 550 lumens AA type C rechargeable as a "ok to lose" light. However, i am impressed with the little light. If it lasts, it will be quite the value.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one suggested it, but based on comments about specs i want to order the Fenix PD32 from Edison Bright on Amazon once i get paid. 1200 lumens, good throw, good battery life, common batteries, etc.

What does everyone think about the PD32?

I will probably order a couple of the others suggestions. I did order a cheaper ACEBEAM Pokelit for $17 on Amazon. 550 lumens AA type C rechargeable as a "ok to lose" light. However, i am impressed with the little light. If it lasts, it will be quite the value.
Since you are in TN, I assume you are a US Citizen. If that is true, then why not buy a made in USA light and support your fellow countrymen, instead of sending money to a hostile communist nation like China? I imagine Maglite has at least one model that would be suitable for you, and if not you can check out SureFire or another US company that manufactures in the USA. I really hate to see people buy from China. IMO, that's like sending them money to finance fentanyl smuggling into the country.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you are in TN, I assume you are a US Citizen. If that is true, then why not buy a made in USA light and support your fellow countrymen, instead of sending money to a hostile communist nation like China? I imagine Maglite has at least one model that would be suitable for you, and if not you can check out SureFire or another US company that manufactures in the USA. I really hate to see people buy from China. IMO, that's like sending them money to finance fentanyl smuggling into the country.
This right here ☝️