Lights and headaches... does it happen to you? Why?

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
I get that nausea headache thing too even with a white LED that's tinted a little too blue. It's similar to a motion sickness feeling. My eyes are light sensitive also and bright lights can cause headaches and if bright enough (like sunlight), pain in the eyes. Does anyone else look foolish walking around and trying to stay in the shade? :devil: But then again I get airsick, can't read in the car and FPS games make me feel sick (except Halo 2 thank goodness). Hope none of you are as screwed up as I am!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im going to test this theory and shine the USL into my eyes point blank.

But really, my wife doesn't like when I flash my lights in here eyes. She gets headaches from them also....she says.

Jeff

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey greenLED,

On a more serious note fluorescent lights don't operate by constantly outputing light they strobe at approximately 60hz. This makes them particular dangerous to use with rotating machineray such as disc saws spinning at the same frequencies. They appear to be idle and the next thing you know your poster boy for you next company safety meeting. So the strobe effect could be giving you the headache.

If your HID light fires rapid pulses or you directly view any light that uses PWM control your brain my get confused be this type of visual stimuli. The rapid flashing of light could be a trigger, for lack of a better term, a mini-seizure.

I'm not always a smart @ss...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
USL at point blank? Well forget your eyes, they'll be gone, but you'll also get an instant sun-burn!! Well, maybe not sun-burn (not much UV) but you'll defaintly char your face! lol

Not all florecents strobe at 60hz. If they have a good electronic ballance then they shouldn't.

dirtie

Newly Enlightened
sometimes very bright lite will make me sneeze too.i used to tell my wife i do that when the sun is shinning or i'm horny lol. our private joke

WinstonSmith

Newly Enlightened
I'm very sensitive to bright lights. I blame it on light blue eyes, but I'm not really sure that has any part in it.

Better than anything else I've ever purchased, I found a GOOD set of polarized sunglasses to be essential for comfort in bright sun. I use the brown tinted "driving" lenses, as they seem to be the most flexible between different intensities of light. I find myself wearing them sometimes after the sun has gone down but before it's completely dark. They're fabulous in rain and fog as well. They're about the same tint as the old 80's "BlueBlocker" junk glasses, but with real UV protection. The polarized filters are the real gravy though.

As to why blue light specifically hurts.. I had heard that blue light has a focal length that causes the eye to strain trying to bring it into focus. I made the mistake of buying a blue lightbulb years ago during my adolescence so as to provide a low intensity light source while I was suffering periodic migraines. It made them MUCH worse, and would instigate a headache (not a migraine, but BAD) in no time without any other symptoms.

EuroBeetle

Newly Enlightened
Have not had a headache in years,until i got an I POD PHOTO.After 15 minutes a severe migrain started from whatever was used to light the screen and boy do they sound awful compared to I River.Sold it on E-Bay and ok since.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Suggesting something a bit more obvious but different: I wonder if a bit too much of the light went into your eyes when you flashed your L4 or HID.

When your eyes experience temporary eye damage from bright lights, your brain tries to offset the sensitivity difference between the "damaged eye" and the "not-so-damaged" one. This balancing act tires the brain out and causes headaches. Just another possibility to add to the mix.