Lightweight backpacking...flashlights has to go...

Ian2381

Enlightened
No headlamp??? But I guess you can makeshift a bungee cord or whatever ....

Is the Zebralight SC50nw not good enough as a headlamp? I've just bought this and waiting till it arrive before testing its reliability for this trip.

I guess all the comments are right and I'll bring 3 lights at a minimum but all light weights. Or bring a small tent to accommodate more lights.:devil:

I still have two weeks to prepare so I might change my setup to the last minute.:shrug:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Zebralight SC50nw not good enough as a headlamp? I've just bought this and waiting till it arrive before testing its reliability for this trip.

I guess all the comments are right and I'll bring 3 lights at a minimum but all light weights. Or bring a small tent to accommodate more lights.:devil:

I still have two weeks to prepare so I might change my setup to the last minute.:shrug:

At least you are man enough to re think your plan and now maybe thinking of just 3 lights:twothumbs

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
and if I'm feeling kittenish perhaps a CMG Infinity Ultra.
WoW! ...now there you go!!:twothumbs

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've just noticed you get a headband and holder with these flashlights, which suggests it will be okay as a headlamp. With Zebralight's reputation for headlamps, I'd expect the headband and holder to be well designed. :thumbsup:

jankj

Enlightened

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't see the "headband" part of the SC50 description. I'm pretty sure it will work OK. I've worn conventional AA lights on the side of my head with a nitecore headband, and that works out pretty OK. I would expect zebralight to be even better :)

Apart from the usual convention that headlamps go to the front, not the side, the only real issue I could see with wearing your headlamp at the side of your head is that it would interfere with the hood on your jacket in bad weather. But I guess that won't be a problem on your trip.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can totally relate to bringing 10 flashlights camping, but this is more like Trekking. I somewhat doubt you'll have time or even the will to do some beamshots after a 8 hour hike, based on my personal experience. Like others, I would go with a headlamp and one more impressive light (the mini fits the bill nicely!)

I recommend you take an extra day or some other time to do some beamshots and bring everything you've got. It's just more fun this way, since you don't have to fit different activities in the same schedule. Plus, there is no need to be high up the hill for good beamshots. Targets are easier to find on the ground...

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be tasked to bring a 4 person tent so everything else got to be trimmed.

just leave that at home. then later, when everyone gets angry, you can open your backpack of flashlights & explain beamshots. no time for sleep!

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Ian2381,

I have climbed a few mountains in my time, getting up to over 19,000 on a multi-day trek. I also go underground for days at a time. And in my spare time I do search and rescue work - mostly after dark. Above ground I carry 2 lights - the EDC Executive 170 (narrower beam) and the EDC Executive 140 (wider beam). Underground I add a second 140. Light weight. Dependable. Versatile.

Above ground, I have a hat band adapter to allow a light to be worn on my head as a headlamp. Nite-ize makes one. Underground, long velcro hose straps secure two lights to my helmet. I keep one light on a wrist leash to provide low angle lighting. Use a double constrictor knot to attach the lanyard to the light. Use a double fisherman's knot to tie the two ends together. Both are easy to tie and very secure.

A few extra batteries will keep you in light for days - of continuous use.

Henry.

Tiresius

Enlightened
I guess weight reduction means to carry less batteries?

I would suggest surefire's E2L Outdoorsmen. Although it may weight more, a pair of batteries can last up to 5hr of constant burn time and up till 11hrs when it dies down.

Although the TIR system in the E2L produces a narrow beam, a bottle-cap diffuser can fix the issue.

I gave my E2L away to my bro for his fishing expeditions. I never left his night fishing trips without it. Also, he can leave it on for the whole night, under high, and it still wouldn't dim on him.

I got faith in the E2L that I only brought a fresh pair of battery in the light for a 3 night camping trip where we hike and poke fish during night time. The only downfall is that low mode is too dim and high mode is too bright--which ruins your adapted night vision.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I guess weight reduction means to carry less batteries?

I would suggest surefire's E2L Outdoorsmen. Although it may weight more, a pair of batteries can last up to 5hr of constant burn time and up till 11hrs when it dies down.

Although the TIR system in the E2L produces a narrow beam, a bottle-cap diffuser can fix the issue.

I gave my E2L away to my bro for his fishing expeditions. I never left his night fishing trips without it. Also, he can leave it on for the whole night, under high, and it still wouldn't dim on him.

I got faith in the E2L that I only brought a fresh pair of battery in the light for a 3 night camping trip where we hike and poke fish during night time. The only downfall is that low mode is too dim and high mode is too bright--which ruins your adapted night vision.

I guess I'm settling for AA powered lights, so batteries will be universal for my gadgets (Camera, Cellphone Charger, etc), but I'll also bring 14500 batteries.:grin2:
I'm also out of the budget so I'll just have to settle with what I already have. Been thinking lately of which Cree tint will be best for my Akoray k106 for Camp lamp - Neutral or warm.:thinking:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or E1L with spare cell(s). :D

Ian2381

Enlightened
My Zebralight SC50nw just arrived yesterday and I'm really amazed by the quality and output of this light.:thumbsup:

No doubt I will bring this light in my hiking trip together with my MiNiAA.

The 3rd light will be a last minute decision for me.:grin2:

Latest posts