LiitoKala Lii - 100

pennzy

Newly Enlightened
Will the LiitoKala Lii - 100 stop charging when the cell is full? Is it best to charge 18650 on low or high current?

Last edited:

pennzy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link.I did watch this review before posting .I'm just not sure on how to read the charts .Does termination voltage mean it stops charging? If a cell is accidentally left in the charger,is it safe?

keithy

Enlightened
Thanks for the link.I did watch this review before posting .I'm just not sure on how to read the charts .Does termination voltage mean it stops charging? If a cell is accidentally left in the charger,is it safe?

Luckily HKJ includes a section at the bottom of his reviews:

[SIZE=+3]Notes[/SIZE]

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger
Read more about how I test USB power supplies/charger

If you use the link that says "How do I test a charger" there is an explanation of the chart there. Here is the link page: http://lygte-info.dk/info/How do I test a charger UK.html

If you see the yellow vertical line that is when the charger reports charging done. After the yellow line, look at the green current line.

pennzy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I will assume not all chargers of the same model with bring current to 0 after charger says complete, correct? I just worry I will forget to remove the battery when done.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
With li-ion cells no trickle charge is acceptable.

With NiMh cells a high trickle charge can damage LSD cells, I think HJK said that 5ma is acceptable, If your charger has a high trickle charger remove the cells within a couple of hours of the charge completing to avoid damage.

John.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I will assume not all chargers of the same model with bring current to 0 after charger says complete, correct? I just worry I will forget to remove the battery when done.
As per HKJ measurements in the review:

• LiIon and NiMH Batteries will be discharged with 0.1mA when power is off.
  • Charges LiIon batteries with 0.5mA when connected to power.
  • Charges NiMH batteries with 2.2mA when connected to power.

0.5mA is not much to worry about, but it's never a good idea to leave your batteries in the charger after they have been fully charged.

pennzy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. My first LiIon and reading warnings makes me a little nervous. Are there any chargers that don't trickle charge at all? Seems it would be a huge plus.

ko4nrbs

Newly Enlightened
After the button is used to select a charge voltage does that voltage remain selected until the button is pressed again?
Bill

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power up the 100 with no cell inside, hold the select button for a few seconds changes 0.5 to 1.0 insert an li-ion battery then an quick press of the select button switches between 3.7v 3.2v and 3.85v when charging an nimh/nicd the select button does nothing.

John.

ko4nrbs

Newly Enlightened
Power up the 100 with no cell inside, hold the select button for a few seconds changes 0.5 to 1.0 insert an li-ion battery then an quick press of the select button switches between 3.7v 3.2v and 3.85v when charging an nimh/nicd the select button does nothing.

John.
So after the first voltage selection, the Charge Voltage does not change unless the button is pressed again? Was wondering about how it world react to a Solar Panel interruption?
Bill

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
So after the first voltage selection, the Charge Voltage does not change unless the button is pressed again? Was wondering about how it world react to a Solar Panel interruption?
Bill

You can still change between 0.5 an 1.0amp while the battery`s are charging just hold the select button down for a few seconds, there appears to be a timeout for changing that battery chemistry and once that has expired you cannot change it.

John.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
With li-ion cells no trickle charge is acceptable.

That's the rule of thumb. But in practice, a small amount of trickle charging effectively yields a fuller charge (same as you would get by lowering the termination current). You can notice it being more full by the fact that the voltage will drop less (and more slowly) once it is removed from the charger.

Usually the termination current on most consumer level chargers is set so high that trickling won't overcharge (except possibly if it is poorly designed, e.g. if the trickle charge current is very high (rare) and it is left trickle charging for a long, long time).

That said, if you desire to maximize the life of your cells then you should minimize the time it spends at high voltages (clearly trickle charging extends the time the cell spends at the highest possible voltage, so that is not good for the health of the cell).

Last edited: