LionHeart Question. Does yours do this?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings from a SNOWY Galveston texas. Yes it is Snowing at this very moment.
Here is the question. While your light is ON tap it on a solid surface a tabletop is fine. Not too hard now.
I found out by accident tonight that if I tap mine it flashes off. Does yours?
BTW is there a fix for this? I took the spring out and stretched it a bit with. No change.
Just wondering.
Yaesumofo

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just did that with mine - no change to light, no flicker. Maybe your switch mechanism is pressing against one side of the hole?

Edit: I tried it on Levels 1-5 in UI1, with a light tap and got the following results:

Level 1: No change
Level 2: No change
Level 3: No Change
Level 4: Reset to Level 1 after a hard-enough tap
Level 5: Reset to Level 1 after a hard enough tap.

I think the problem is just that the battery in the tube 'shakes' enough that it loses contact with the head of the light, for just a split second, due to the compression of the spring on the tap. This results in the light flicking off, and then back on for me at the default level, which is Level 1.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other's have noted similar. It is the battery losing contact momentarily.

The uC on the LH driver has a VERY fast response to power interruption and will initiate a full reset when that occurs. This will cause the firmware to restart the same way as unscrewing the battery tube, i.e. it will power up to the user chosen UI and the previous light level (or force level if enabled and in UI1 mode).

george.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
James, that was the reason for going with the Belleviles at first. But then that was before we knew about the battery length differences of the individual Pilas which necessitated having the custom-wound coil springs made up.

If George perfects the new interface (where just clicking will move the light into the selection modes) thus making unscrewing the light unnecessary, then in the next project I will order up a stouter spring. And if it really bothers you, one can make up one's own simple fix by replacing the coilspring with a cut-to-size Maglite or similar tailcap spring which is much more firm, however this would complicate interface switching.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.flashlightking.com may have those stiffer springs.
Just so you know, Magg springs are kinda hard to cut with just dikes.
Small boltcutters may be needed and wear eye protection when doing this in a small room with both sides of the spring secured with heavy vise grips or better.

Looks like you just got some important feedback Charlie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
We look forward to your next project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I will start looking at springs.
I don't fuss with the different modes available. I like the stock mode with the auto off feature enabled. I set mine up that way and have left it there. So putting in another spring will do fine.
Anybody have a source for these stiffer springs?
Yaesumofo

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small amount(ball) of al foil inside the spring will stiffin it up.
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
Well I haven't noticed my LH doing this but I haven't had the guts to really bang it hard. I am wondering, however, if this might be a convenient way to enter the menu mode. Hold the button down and bang the LH on a surface enough to briefly break contact. It seems like that would put it into menu mode without the need to unscrew the base. Does this work for anyone out there?

BVH

Flashaholic
I burst out laughing when I read prescottrecorder's tip on banging the light down on something while holding the button to enter programming mode. Sure, its probably very practical, it just sounded funny. I think I'll wait the V2 of the program or, really, just leave mine as is. I like UI0 and haven't changed since I received the light. The original beam is great too! Thanks again Charlie!

ledaholic

Enlightened
Well, I just tried mine. I held the button while it was on and rapped the table with the butt end. It went into programming mode! Cool.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just changed mine from mode 1 to mode 0 and back again using this method /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif. Mine doesn't require a huge amount of force and I was able to just slap it against the palm of my hand.

BVH - once you try, and get used to all that UI1 has to offer, I bet you'll trully be amazed. It's almost like the light reads your mind when you press the switch and you want your force mode level versus when you turn it on and you want it to cycle through the five levels but stop at the dimmest level. Very, Very, slick. Not to mention the lockout that is really excellent when carrying the light in a pocket.

Oh, just did the "pounce" technique again to change my force level.

Awesome , Awesome light Mr.Bulk. You are in a class by yourself (well Darrel and Georges80 are there too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif).

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Thanks guys, wish Everyone felt that way. But ahhh, such nice words, must be Christmas!

BTW, what are we all doing here today anyway? Unless that was the wife's/girlfriend's/signif.other's Xmas gift - unlimited, undisturbed CPF time!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm,

My Pila must be on the longish side as the light won't flash no matter how hard I bang it. BUT, if I unscrew it about 2-3 times then hold the button and give the Lion a sharp slap on the mug, he goes right into program mode. Much nicer than the complete unscrewing! Great suggestion!

Oh, if you go to a zoo, don't try slapping any lions on the mug, you won't, like the secondary UI !!

jb

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey I just tried it and that works fine for switching modes. But make sure you rap it on a solid yet forgiving surface (the semi-hard polymer armrest of my office chair is perfect for this). Hmmm, mebbe a softer spring should go in the next light?

ledlurker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
yaesumofo said:
Greetings from a SNOWY Galveston texas. Yes it is Snowing at this very moment.
Here is the question. While your light is ON tap it on a solid surface a tabletop is fine. Not too hard now.
I found out by accident tonight that if I tap mine it flashes off. Does yours?
BTW is there a fix for this? I took the spring out and stretched it a bit with. No change.
Just wondering.
Yaesumofo

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaaaat, I was in Galveston also. Down on West Beach by the last development before the toll bridge. I could not believe it to go walking on the beach in 6 inches of snow. Then travel south to go home and find 12" of snow at my house in Victoria. Global Warming -- maybee, but today could make one doubt that it exist.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you guys have finished beating on your LH's, you can check out the 'rave' feature. Set the light to the dimmest setting, turn off the lights and wing it around very quickly. Check out the 780Hz strobe effect.

george.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
john_bud said:
Hmmmm,

...if I unscrew it about 2-3 times then hold the button and give the Lion a sharp slap on the mug, he goes right into program mode. Much nicer than the complete unscrewing!...
jb

[/ QUOTE ]
About 2 turns does it for me, and I don't have to hit it very hard with my palm.

We've got people buying $200 flashlights and banging them onto furniture, including the builder! Non-flashaholics would call that insanity. I call it research & development. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe V2 doesn't need the new menu access. With the "bump" technique, the memory for that V2 feature might be used for something else.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
codeman said:
Maybe V2 doesn't need the new menu access. With the "bump" technique, the memory for that V2 feature might be used for something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new menu access scheme of V2 is also part of the new quick lockout access feature. In fact, implementing the V2 menu scheme saved code space that was used to add the new features...

As 'neat' as banging on the light is, I doubt that it's a great thing to be doing long term, both to the electronics assembly and the Pila. What you are doing is applying high G shocks to the Pila +ve nubbin and circuit board +ve connection, both inflexible objects... Of course I'll be happy to R&R failed LH drivers boards for a fee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

george.