little advice on the SC52....?

tonkem

Enlightened
You need to look at the total energy in terms of watt-hrs (VxMah). A 14500 will have greater runtime than a standard Eneloop for a given lumen level.

3.7x750=2.8 w-h
1.2x2000= 2.4 w-h

(Except perhaps over a long term due to increased parasitic drain the SC52 has with 14500s)

Seems I have learned something today. My apologies to the OP for the incorrect information. I guess it seems a lower runtime to me, because I use the MAX 500 lumen output quite a bit, so the runtime will likely be much less than the 2000 mah eneloop battery, since the max brightness is only slightly brighter than the lowest of the H2 levels, so I don't use it much.

My apologies :)

Tonkem

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
I see. I am starting to get it now. So, just to reference, I am also planning on using the i4 to charge 2 18650s also(i think Eagletac are the best?), so thats why i figured on 2 instead of 1 14500, since there will be the extra slot. Now, since all I seem to hear on hear is Eneloops, it seems that it is a must have, so I should order those to play around with also since they will be better than alkalines. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again guys

tonkem

Enlightened
I see. I am starting to get it now. So, just to reference, I am also planning on using the i4 to charge 2 18650s also(i think Eagletac are the best?), so thats why i figured on 2 instead of 1 14500, since there will be the extra slot. Now, since all I seem to hear on hear is Eneloops, it seems that it is a must have, so I should order those to play around with also since they will be better than alkalines. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again guys

The eneloops will be far better, in my opinion, than the alkalines for several reasons.
1. they are rechargeable
2. they have longer runtime than the alkalines
3. they do not leak, like alkalines can
4. they can handle the power load better than alkalines

You might also consider getting a few Lithium Energizer batteries, as they have a tad more MAH versus the eneloops, somewhere around 3000 mah, versus the approx 2000 of the eneloops for longer runtime, but they are not rechargeable and are a bit more expensive. They also have 15 year shelf life so you can have some laying around for a while for emergency. Also, they are much lighter than the eneloops or the alkalines, so the light will almost disappear in your pocket.

Nice to have all the options :)

Tonkem

Ares

Newly Enlightened
I love my SC52w. It IS the greenest tint in my collection, but it isn't nearly as bad as Reppans' (and if you'll notice from the SC600w MkII L2 thread, I'm picky about the tint). I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me very quickly. And color rendition is very nice outside. It's definitely warmer than the MkII L2, which I prefer.

I got the ZL 14500 cell and am quite pleased with it. My older AW 14500 cell doesn't give me as much runtime (to be fair, it's about a year old). You might think about the XTAR XP1 Hummingbird charger. It can charge over USB - which might be great if you're on the go or want to charge it in your car. A tiny charger for a tiny torch!

Ps. The anodizing on mine is a dark green (same as my SC600 1st gen) - not the dark grey that my SC600w MkII L2 is.

Last edited:

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
okay guys, almost there. So far i got
SC52 or 52w, still can't decide.....i really want a nice neutral white, not yellow or green and im hearing so many mixed reviews!
i4 charger (also use for 2 eagletac 3400 18650s for my Srt7 on the way!)
2 ZL 14500s
thinking 4 eneloops and a charger from IS unless I can pick this up in a store like a supermarket or something. I know the one by me has rechargeable energizers..?

Now, just gotta shop for the best deal! Thanks again guys for everything, and please let me know if I'm forgetting something that I might need to really feed the new flashaholic in me.....

dave

Ares

Newly Enlightened
You can still have green tint with a cool white light. I'd rather have a green neutral white torch than a green cool white torch. I don't regret buying my SC52w for a minute. It's only "green" on a white wall. I don't even notice it unless I compare it with my more "yellow" SC600w 1st gen.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
I see. Like i said before, this will be replacing my E11. So, yea, that thing is a very cool white, and color rendition stinks with it. The warm seems nice. I am leaning towards that one, its just that i wanted something like a neutral white. Ya know, not cool like blueish at all, but I kind of don't really like the more yellow lights that I see that most say is warm. I see what you mean about having a warm green instead of cool green though...I am trying to locate some beamshots of the two so its easier to decide, but from what i hear every one is different tint, so.....

Does anywhere offer a CPF discount of some sort? maybe with a code?

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems I have learned something today. My apologies to the OP for the incorrect information. I guess it seems a lower runtime to me, because I use the MAX 500 lumen output quite a bit, so the runtime will likely be much less than the 2000 mah eneloop battery, since the max brightness is only slightly brighter than the lowest of the H2 levels, so I don't use it much.

My apologies :)

Tonkem

It could be the 500 lumen mode use but selfbuilt noted in his review that the sc52 is somewhat more efficient on AA than 14500. But I still prefer 14500 cause the runtimes are close enough, light runs flatter and you get the 500 lumen burst. Not to mention the 14500 seems to respond better to frequent topping off of the cell and is lighter than NiMH.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
any codes I can save some cash with at IlluminationSupply or ZebraLight? I can't find any codes anywhere.....thanks

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
thank you. I was under the impression that there was a thread somewhere on the forums with the coupon codes. Thanks for that Ares.

Ares

Newly Enlightened
Probably. You can try something like CPF15, CPF10, CPF8 - I know those work on various sites. No idea about the ones you're looking at.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
haha, ok. Btw, is it a better idea to order from ZL or somewhere like IS? I ask because ZL site doesn't even have a phone number, and i emailed them yesterday and no reply yet. So is it safer to go with another vendor? Thanks

Ares

Newly Enlightened
I have always ordered straight from ZebraLight. That said, they are notorious for taking their sweet time in getting you your light lol. Others have complained of poor customer service. I haven't experienced that, but they do take awhile. Or maybe I'm just impatient and want my new toy NOW haha. I think Amazon has spoiled me with generally getting packages to me within two days even with standard shipping...

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Thank you guys. I will order in a few min. It seems that IlluminationSupply has the sc52w on BACKORDER!!! oh, the anxiety....
thanks again for all the help

markr6

Flashaholic
Thank you guys. I will order in a few min. It seems that IlluminationSupply has the sc52w on BACKORDER!!! oh, the anxiety....
thanks again for all the help

Some other models too. Sounds like Zebralight really delayed the shipment to them.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Yea sure seems that way. I keep hearing about ZL and their delay. I really want the sc600w now too, thanks to some of you and this is getting expensive quick.
So far I got on the list to order as soon as I hear back from IS:
Sc52w
2 14500 batts
Srt6 or 7, because i need a thrower too
2 18650's
i4 charger
4 eneloops and charger
possibly now the sc600w mkii, but might wait since my wallet is hurting now and wouldn't mind seeing some beam tints first. But, we'll see.

This is a lot of money for a few lights and batts......oh well, i want some new toys, and i gotta get away from CR123's....

WOw, still trying to see if I forgot anything or if I wanna take somethings off the list.......i will be ordering today i guess. I just hoped IS would call me back and let me know if it will be long before they get more SC52w's, as they are sold out right now it seems, and I hear only the best about IS and didn't want to really order from ZL. But it seems right now, I will be ordering the ZL sc52w and 14500 from ZL. And the rest I will put through IS with the coupon code!!! Thanks guys, let me know if Im good to go on this!!

I didn't sleep at all last night really, thinking about the sc52. I hope its as good as you guys say it is!
I know it will be!

dave

Ares

Newly Enlightened
That tends to happen with new ZL releases. Mine actually said "Customer Recall" at one point. Evidently they screwed something up, recalled it, then sent it again the next day. They make fantastic lights, but they can't ship worth a @#$% lol.