Lognest throw, tightest beam?

AusKipper

Enlightened
Ok heres the quick basics:

For throw your really after "lux" not "lumens"

Highest three lux outputs in "normalish" torches that I know about, and of the size that your after are:

Eagletac T20C2: 15000ish lux
Fenix TK11R2: 11000ish lux
Olight M20: 13000ish lux

You may also want to look at something like the Quark Turbo (less lux, but more output)

This website has a lot of common torches along with their lux ratings:

http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html

I have recently ordered a Quark Turbo 123, and already own a Fenix TK11. So I guess i'll see how they compare when I get my Quark.

Also, if your willing to put up with a larger head, a Tiablo A10 might be in order ;)

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best thrower with a small head I have is the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2, the TK-11 is definetely behind that one and my second best.

To get it better, you need a bigger head like the Dereelight DBS, best thrower I have by now. I also have the aspherical head on a CL1H V4, but it isn't smaller than a DBS, just offers 100% throw in form of a beam that has exactly the shape of the emitter (if focussed right). All spill that it might have only comes from imperfections in the aspherical lens.

This said, you need to know what you really want first, then decide on the light :

Nothing but throw : An aspherical
Large head thrower : DBS, RRT-1
Small head thrower : RRT-2, TK11, M20, TK12 --> SMO reflector!
Throwy lights : Quark Turbo, Javelin

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
This said, you need to know what you really want first, then decide on the light :

Nothing but throw : An aspherical
Large head thrower : DBS, RRT-1
Small head thrower : RRT-2, TK11, M20, TK12 --> SMO reflector!
Throwy lights : Quark Turbo, Javelin

WOW!!! Thanks Henk, that's exactly the kind of info a newbie like me can understand. :thumbsup: You really help put my "throwy light" wants in perspective.

Cheers!

recDNA

Flashaholic
WOW!!! Thanks Henk, that's exactly the kind of info a newbie like me can understand. :thumbsup: You really help put my "throwy light" wants in perspective.

Cheers!

For a combo of throw and general purpose use (non-aspherical lens) the Eagletac T20C2 R2 version throws further than any small head large production light I know of.

I wish they would make an aspherical lens that fit on it. THAT would really throw. Some kind of snap on or screw on deal you could take off quickly in the field would be fab imo. A complicated home mod that cannot quickly be undone is useless for my purposes.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
I just sold a Nailbender SST50 1 level, SMO p60 drop-in to fund a throwier Nailbender p60 drop-in. The SST50, while very bright, was more floody than I was looking for when I ordered it. It did throw, but it's hotspot was HUGE!! It was great, until I got my SF Lx2, which out threw it massively, and had a brighter, more intense hotspot.

So I ordered another Nailbender p60 drop-in, a Cree XR-E R2 flux, WC Tint, 1 level regulated drive,3.6-6v, SMO, and it out throws my Lx2 now. The Lx2 is similar in total output, but the TIR throws a wider pattern beam. Dave rated this XRE unit @ 260L running on 2x123 primaries. I run this unit in a SF C2 with a Lighthound Tactical head.
17ce7f6089fb.jpg
bd9b25b4f7f0.jpg
dd879cb87e4d.jpg

There is a pasture directly across the road from my house, which is approximately 175-225yds across to the tree line on the far side of the pond there. The NB XRE unit easily illuminates the treeline. In fact, I was actually able to spot a family of red foxes playing at one end of the pasture.

I really like the throw of the XRE!

Sure there are newer and more effiecient LED's available, but for a pocketable thrower, not giving up all of your spill, which I might add is pretty bright, a smooth relectored XRE is still hard to beat for EDC IMHO.

jcw122

Enlightened
I had a dream about a flashlight with a super tight beam last night....it was pretty useless considering it could only light up tiny points.

And I'm not joking lol

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff M60 in an MD2 or E2E+VME or 6P will do nicely.

You could also go for the Elzetta.

i have this set up: m60+e2e+vme = impressive thrower!

i took this out when i was in the country earlier this year, in near pitch black, it went way out there...150+ feet at least if not further. i love this set up.

blub

Enlightened
I have a RRT-1, great throw, bigger head but still a short light and a RRT-2, small head and it throws almost as well and am happy with both.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....everybody missed the best small throwers out there. The Lumapower D-mini VX with TF head 18,000 lux, and The Ray D1 20,000 lux. Head diameters are 1.45" and length under 4". The Ray D1 is $69 shipped. Lumapower $69 plus shipping.

If a 2.25 inch head is not too big, then get a Tiablo A10 or the "Solarforce Masterpiece Pro 1" head that fits any Surefire C head host. They are the current throw kings at 50,000 lux plus. (54,000 with UCL glass) You can get the Solarforce head and a cheap host for under $70. The Tiablo is around $130.

The Aspheric heads are not much smaller at 2.1" and 2.15" diameter. They make about 65,000 lux or so. There is the Tiablo A9 head and the Dereelight head to choose from.

You will be hard pressed to tell the difference in throw between the 2.25" dia lights and the Aspherics. It is a matter of what you want to use them for. If you want to light up far objects without lighting up your surroundings then use an Aspheric. If you want to light up far objects and not trip over things as you walk then use a reflector light or have a second light to go with the aspheric.

The one thing in common with all these lights is the XR-E R2 LED. The SST-50 and SST-90 are all too big to focus as tight as an R2 in an equal sized reflector. Even the king of LED throw the DEFT-HO, uses an R2 and he gets close to 200,000 lux with it.

A nice option in my opinion would be to buy a Lumapower D-mini VX for about $70 and use it as an all-around light. You can spend the extra $20 some dollars for the "TF" long-throw reflector kit if you want. Then buy the 2.25" turbo head due out any day now for about $50 or so (final price not out yet) That should be a 45,000 to 50,000 lux light. And if you want a "bunch of light" buy a $48 dollar (shipped) 500 lumen SST-50 pill for it. (or spend $100 and get the whole light "VX Ultra")

Last edited:

electrothump

Enlightened
Check out the Stanley SL5W09 5 Watt LED Spot at wally world? It cost forty bucks, and it really has some throw to it. No need in messing with it, if you need spill though. But for a forty buck rechargeable, small spotlight, this one is hard to beat when it comes to throw.

DN

entoptics

Enlightened
I'd put in another vote for the EagleTac T20C2 with a smooth reflector.

Mine will allow you to identify a dog sized animal at 200 yds without a problem, and it will cause obvious reflections off of signs and car/bicycle reflectors at 500 yds. It's a first generation with the warm tinted LED (~250 lumens), so the white LED MKII (~300 lumens) version should be quite noticeably better.

The spill is also decent, so on medium or low power the light is quite useful for close in work indoors and around the camp.

For the flashlight and a couple 18650 Li-ions and a charger, you'll be set up for 3 hour burn times for around $110 (with some CPF coupon codes).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dereelight Aspheric, set up with a XR-E R2, should get you up around 60,000LUX at 1 meter.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dereelight Aspheric, set up with a XR-E R2, should get you up around 60,000LUX at 1 meter.

I'm curious as I haven't seen this aspheric in person...what is the quality of the aspheric lens itself like?

Have you personally seen any of the DX flood-to-throw lights?

I'm not comparing the two in terms of throw or overall quality. I'm just wondering about the aspherics used.

When used for max throw I suppose you don't notice rings or blue shading at distance anyway but when you compare this aspheric up close with the aspheric used in a DX light is it more or less the same as far as what you would see on a beamshot on a white wall in your house?

Thanks.