Long-runtime lights, in case of power outage

Boris

Newly Enlightened
For long runtime i use a Streamlight Twintask 3c. is almost perfect for the job. it's a bit big compared with other lights mentioned here, but, it's not for EDC, it's form having it at home. 160 hours in lowest setting, belive me, it will do the job. Also it uses C batteries widely avariable, it's cheap, and you have the xenon bulb if you need it. anyway, you will use it most of the time in it's lowest setting. the only thing is that i keep checking the batteries, just to see how they are, as you now alcalines can leak when getting old.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Kevin said reminded me of this. I just got a McLux PD, I believe it runs something like 45 hours on low on just one 123, putting out 90 lux at one meter and fullly regulated, and brighter than any 5mm LED I have ever seen on full power at the low setting...and did I mention it's a lot smaller than a E1L?

WDR65

Enlightened
Since I haven't had a long term chance to test out my lights in a power outtage since I've gotten into "better" lights I can't say how well the ones I have would work. I tend to agree with The virus about the Lightwave lights and the twintasks, I have one of both and I can't find many everday uses for them they do work well hanging in convienent places. I have also just picked up one of the three led Energizer headlamps and its seems to put out enough light for general tasks inside the house and some outside duties. I'm not sure on the runtime yet, but its seems that it would last for quite a while at fairly good power.
Considering I live in a hurricane prone area where we have been without power for over two weeks before and the flooding inland cut us off from a lot of the world I would lean toward led's and standard batteries. Living in the city temporarily like I am now I'd do the same although power is generally restored much quicker here than out in the more rural areas where I'm from. I would keep my A2 close by as it has decent runtime(led's)and throw(incandescent). Also Maglites are useful, the D size ones have decent runtime even if they do lose output quickly and in the AA models the led bulb replacements make them viable long term lights with an option of going back to incandescent if needed. Just my two cents and then some guys, hope it helps a little.

Flash Gordon, if you don't mind what part of NC are you from? I'm from just north of Wilmington close to the coast.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
UK 4AA Led with Lithiums installed will have a regulated run time at full brightness of around 18 hrs. with another 80 hrs. of diminishing light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 lightwave4000 pros. (not for sale)
One with the stock Nichia leds and the other (after a lot of bad words said) with 26k leds running about 3 times as bright and running just as long as the stock one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I also still make luxeon led magmods too.

paulr

Flashaholic
The 26k's tend to have lower Vf than Nichias and so if they're 3x brighter, they're likely running at higher current and runtime will be a bit lower. At the same current they'll be brighter than the Nichias but not by 3x. Note that the 26k's don't handle overdrive so well--they can dim noticably over a few days.

You guys in hurricane areas would know better than I do, but I'd expect that if you're without power for several weeks, you still have to get food from somewhere, and it shouldn't be THAT hard to get batteries from wherever the food comes from. So ultra-long-running lights aren't all that important.

I wouldn't count on solar powered anything for these situations since long outages tend to be connected with bad weather (like hurricanes) which in turn tends to mean not very much sunlight.

I sure like handsfree lights for doing anything in an outage. If I had to pick just one light, I'd choose an adjustable LED headlamp. I'm happy with the PT Aurora (should run for 20+ hours on its low setting which is still very usable) but of course there's many alternatives.

Note also that the Energizer 15 minute NiMH charger runs on 12 volts. It doesn't come with a car adapter but it should be fairly easy to rig one. So if you have AA or AAA NiMH batteries and access to a vehicle, you can charge the NiMH batteries fairly conveniently.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.dorcy.com/41-2498.htm
If you need longer runtime steal the bulb and put it into one of these.
http://www.dorcy.com/41-1015.htm
I have used the LED bulb in one 4D focussing lantern and three 4AA ones. Be aware many other lanterns are reverse polarity and will not work with LED bulbs.

[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
Try www.superbrightleds.com here for some inexpensive pr bulb dropins for standard flashlights.
You should be able to stock up on a dozen good led'ed lights for less than $100.
Keep all these cheap lights around the house and just move onto another light when the batteries in the one you are using finally give out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Click on the HERE for the sales page.
My impressions of the bulbs:
The 10mm 6V is very dim. Noit much brighter than a single 5mm.
The 2x5mm focus best in a standard reflector flashlight. Still not too bright.
The 3x3mm 6V is not in focus either axially nor raidially. The resulting beam is 3 overlapping rings. Sorta like the olympic logo with 2 of the rings missing. The 6V version is brighter at 4.5V than the 4.5V version!
All the above bulbs will NOT work at 3 volts. (2 cell flashlights)
The new PR2-W1-WVR LED FlashLight bulb is a nice surprse. I think it uses one of the new 1/2 watt LEDs. Very bright for a single LED. OK, OK, it is not a luxeon so it is not THAT bright. Floody beam with no throw. I estimate 6+ hours in a 2AA, 16+ in a 3AA (I have one in a 4AA NiMH light = 4.8V)
Of course if you use D cell lights you should get 7 times the runtime. YMMY.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
MiniMagg 2AA with Microstar TLE-10 Led Module, goes all night
on a good set of batteries, works well in candlemode as well

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Paulr,

I grew up in south Florida. Before, during, and after hurricanes batteries fly off the store shelves. It is not unusual for stores to sell out quickly.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
For a place like florida I would consider some sort of SLA based lantern that can be also adapted for LED light. SLAs make for nice long running lights when powering LEDs, low power fluoros and weak incans and if you have a 12vdc charge cord you can charge them in the daytime and use them at night. This and nimh will allow you to use shorter runtime and brighter lights as in some cases the uber long runtime lights are unsuitable for some tasks especially when you have lots of people needing to blanket a room with higher intensities of light.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
After our second multi hour outage here, I was asked to put out some lights that are better than the dimming incands that were already available.

Light one is a Brinkmann 2D 2 or 4 (selectable) LED light.

Light two is a Rayovac 3D Industrial with a 2x5mm PR Drop In.

Light three is a 2D M*g with 3C and a Lambertian White Everled.

Of course I have better stuff. But anyone can pick these up and know how to use them.

My guess is that light two will still be going long after the others!

LowWorm

Enlightened
Anybody mentioned the Pal Light (PaLight) yet? That's supposed to get pretty good mileage off a 9Volt. Small, too.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top, 1.2W Osram Golden Dragon Lantern. 25hrs. on high, 100hrs. on low. (according to package)

Bottom, Elektrolumens Blaster 3P. Expect 24hrs. of high brightness, after 24hrs. expect 50% brightness.

dsc008473ap.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ernsanada-

I have been interested in checking out the Osram LED lantern as an emergency room light/outdoor lantern. My searches have come up with dealers only in Europe.

Do you like it? Where did you find it?

Many Thanks
Mark

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Osram from FrenchyLed. He was picking up the lights at a supermarket back in France. I was one of the lucky ones to see his thread and was able to get on a list to purchase one. I think he was only able to get around 20 lanterns. I got the lantern around June 20, 2005.

I really like the lantern. Nice and bright for it's size. I wish I could have gotten another one.

I read in a thread that Lowes is supposed to sell the lanterns soon.

This is another picture.

dsc006937kw.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the threads. This looks like just what I am looking for.

Showing up at Lowes would be excellent. I get in there fairly often and will post if I see them.

Mark