Longest wearing duty boot??

Patriot

Flashaholic
Robo
Now what it does look like is that Danner became famous on their Acadia as every single review on their site was great for this boot. There are no bad reviews at all and many claim to wear the boots for several years. It looks as if Danner may have tried to jump into the lightweight market and could not keep the same level of durability as in the Acadia....it is a hard act to follow.

The boot that gained Danner a lot of popularity in the 80's was one built almost identically to the Danner Lite II. I believe the original was called the Lite Hiker or possibly just Hiker. But as you point out this design is close to the Acadia and built for serious use. Mine are buried away in my hunting tupperware otherwise I'd share of pic of them.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I tried the store locator and have visited the 2 closest places while on duty. Both said they have very limited stock and usually order the boots for the customer. I was unable to find any that I could actually try on. I phoned a few other places and got the same result with the dealers advising the boots were expensive and they did not carry much stock.

I believe I am going to simply measure my size and try my luck with online ordering myself. The dealers I spoke with did say that Danners were tricky to fit and that some love them while others find them heavy and hard to wear.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Most lightweight boots are not really re-soleable. Anyway, boot sith stick on soles have a hugh advantage - eay to get resoled, AND, if you do some reserach on Vibram Soles, you'll find they make something on the order of 20 different soles - different patterns, different materials and the like.

You want a rough wearing sole (I'm a BIG guy, and need them), I love the Montangna (sp?) sole, which is basically the original black rubber DEEP lug (like 1/2") soles meant for serious hiking/climbing.

They scuff sloors (leave black marks), they can be slippery on oil (a bit), they are heavy, but they last and last

Not patrol boots (I've tried a few brands, none I love), but Russell Moccasin makes wonderful boots, BUT
1)They are expensive
2)If you get custom fit, you are going to wait for them

But you can also order them as a "I want X model, but in Y color, with Z soles, but 1/2 shorter/taller, with studs instead of eyelets etc)

I've had a pair for a bunch of years now - leather still going strong - How long have I had them? 5 sets of soles and counting....

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't wear much for laced boots, but I have had great luck with the Vibram soles on my Tony Lama boots. They last me about 2-3 years on grit-coated concrete. (which amounts to walking on coarse sandpaper). They last about 5-6 years on dirt and such.

For about $50-70 for resoleing, it's really the way to go if you want boots that will last a long time. I also highly recommend a leather insole. It just can't be beat for all-day comfort, especially in a hot environment. :thumbsup:

sadtimes

Enlightened
I was shocked to find Danners own site showing several negative reviews on their new versions of their GTX and Striker series. I really liked that look and also liked the lightweight version of their new products. It seems as if almost every customer had problems with the eyelets falling apart and also had severe problems with the side zippers. It seems as if my excitement was for nothing and with so many negative comments on their own site I am passing on the boots I was going to purchase

Dont let the 4 reviews keep you away from possibly the best Danner Boot that is made, IMPO....

After 2 years of having these, and not treating them nice, my zippers work the same as they did the day I bought them. I work in a very very relaxed enviroment, when I leave my house I do not zip up my boots, I wear them unzipped until I have to get out of my car, which is awesome as I can just reach down and zip them up while Im driving down the road. Then around midnight or so when its time to watch TV and have breakfast, I unzip them and leave them that way until its time to go back to work. My point is the zippers on my boots see alot of action in terms of being used, with no trouble whatsoever.

And of course with that being said I have several pair of cheap zip up boots that the zippers are broken on....

YMMV

And just for giggles, this is the pair that I own and have worn everyday for the last 2 years,
http://www.danner.com/product/boots/striker+ii+gtx+side+zip+uniform+boots.do#product-tab_3

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
I have had a pair of these Danner boots for probably a year now and they are hands down the best I have ever owned.

I used to be a Wolverine boot guy, but after I got these babies I'll never go back. In fact I'm planning on picking up another pair or two just as nackups for whenever i wear this pair out.

I imagine it will be quite a while before i wear them out though based on the way they are wearing in...

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Danner's are pretty rock solid, I have a pair of Mountain Lights, similar to the Patrol and the Blackhawk models, with the Vibram Kletterfelt outsoles and they lasted for over 5+ years conservatively and I just had them recrafted and they are as good as new. Personally, I prefer the resoleable choices for durability but then again there are multiple densities of Vibram. I had read one review that the wearer thought that the Patrol models have a softer Vibram outsole and while this may wear faster, I believe that it would be beneficial while on the "beat" for city walking on concrete surfaces.

While I like Danner boots, their insoles leave a lot to be desired IMHO but then again, so do many boots and shoes so I would size accordingly to allow for quality insoles but then again, I personally prefer agressive arch support so your mileage may vary.

Dawg

Enlightened
Most Rockys and Danner Striker II 45's do not have Vibram. That's not necessarily a big deal, but my Rocky Superstalkers (goofy name, but popular with my coworkers years ago) have outsoles that are literally crumbling, not wearing away. The lugs have peeled off and created some holes deeper than the smooth part of the sole. Another coworker had his new Eliminators do that. However, my Eliminators (2 pairs) and 911's are fine.

I wont give Rocky the time of day anymore. Back in the day, when they were made in USA, they were great. Now.....:( I had a pair of Rocky's that were new, but sat on my closet shelf for 5 years. I took them down to wear to a car show last fall, and the soles just started crumbling. I had to leave after 15 minutes to go home and change shoes. They used to make some great walking shoes as well, but they are all made elsewhere now and are junk.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I wont give Rocky the time of day anymore. Back in the day, when they were made in USA, they were great. Now.....:( I had a pair of Rocky's that were new, but sat on my closet shelf for 5 years. I took them down to wear to a car show last fall, and the soles just started crumbling. I had to leave after 15 minutes to go home and change shoes. They used to make some great walking shoes as well, but they are all made elsewhere now and are junk.

I'm very anti Rocky myself. I had one pair and made the decision I'd never buy another. My friend purchased a pair of them on super blowout sale after I had recommend Danner or Vasque and they chewed his feet up then the sole started flopping around at the front until they were no longer usable. About 10 years ago Rick Schroder, the actor dude, had a literal survival situation develop due to his Rocky boots at the time. Long story, but they blistered his feet so badly that he became practically immobile in the deep back country of CO Rockies during a mule deer hunt...I believe it was. After that situation he was looking for a new boot advice so my friend and I put him onto the Danner. After a couple of hunts he proclaimed that they were the best boots he had ever had on his feet. Rick is an accomplished hunter and a great guy to paintball with as well. One of the Hollywood "good guys" imo.

Robocop

I have a friend on the force who said he was suprised I have been an officer for so long and have not had at least one pair of Danners. He has a pair that he has worn only a few times and offered to let me try them on later this week so maybe I can get an idea of how well they feel.

I have read much online at a few police related forums and the general belief is that the lighter and more comfortable a duty boot is the less wear you will get out of it. This seems to hold true at least in my personal experience with the few brands I have worn.

13 years ago when I first started Magnum Hi-Tecs were popular and for the first 2 years I really did not look at anything else. I averaged about 5 months per pair and thought that was good. When I switched to Bates I kept that average and again just assumed this was what others were getting out of their boots. I was really shocked to read lately that many get years of use from other brands and if so then even paying 250 dollars would save me money over the long term.

I also foolishly thought that a few extra pounds of weight was not a big deal. It was not until I began wearing boots for 10 hour nights that I really learned how much better a lighter boot can be. I have worked plain clothes details a few times and wearing normal sneakers really made a difference in the fatigue factor. When I returned to uniformed patrol those boots (even the lighter Bates) were like bricks on my feet.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
For what it's worth, all of the stitch down soled boots are manufactured in America so I am assuming that their quality control may be scrutinized a little better. I have had a pair of Agitator 45's, similar to a uniform duty boot called the striker? and the soles wore out relatively quickly, not re-sole-able, and they cost about as much as my re-crafted Mountain Lights. Sadly for me, my feet had grown just enough for them to be not as comfortable especially with thicker insoles but the boot is breaking in nicely but considering that I bought them in 95 or 96, I guess that you could say that I've gotten more than my moneys worth out of them. Foot wear selection can be a dicey and expensive matter, best of luck.

Robocop

I have driven to every dealer within a 50 mile radius and none actually carry the boots in stock. They all offer to order the boots and say that it takes about 3-5 weeks???

I have measured my foot and used a chart to get the actual true sizing and believe I am comfortable ordering online. It looks as if I will have to have no other choice unless I go with the brand I have used last that can be bought locally for under 70 dollars or close to it.

In the meantime I never thought to ask my firemen friends or medics and when I did most of them mentioned a company called HAIX. I must say the boots I saw in person looked very well done and the unique lacing system is a plus. I am now really liking the look of the X1 by HAIX however again this would be an online purchase....I really wanted to avoid purchasing online or even ordering at a dealer until I could try something on.

Anyway here is a link with my new choice and I really like the technology and look of the HAIX. I am not sure the boot can be polished as I really can not find out much about the toe cap material. In the pics it looks like it can not be and if so then this is a deal breaker for my use as my employer requires polished boots daily.

http://www.haix.com/usa/rescue_produktdetail_us.php?artikel=605106

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I googled that TPU material, since it didn't sound familiar. Thermoplastic polyurethane.
After downloading the information page, and blowing up the pic, I think the toe is leather, and the TPU part is the insert, like in a steel toe boot.

I don't know if Wolverine makes a suitable boot, or if it would wear as well as their work boots.
Danner is one of the few names I've consistently heard good stuff about starting with when I was first at Ft. Bragg, and ever since. A lot of the other brands have gone so far downhill. Those awesome Herman Survivors...now a Wal-Mart label:(

guardpost3

Enlightened
Ill add another vote for HAIX, and yea, im a firefighter. I have used HIAX fire boots and they were great. (currently using different brand but only cuz i got a really good deal) The duty boots they make are awesome, they are one of the lightest duty boots ive ever worn and that makes a big difference when i have to walk about 5 miles a shift. I think you would be wise to consider them.

Robocop

Thanks Owen as I had no idea what TPU was and it appears you may be correct as it looks to be an insert.

I am learning much reading online and never paid attention to things like stitching or glue on vs stitched on soles or even the material in a boot. It looks like all the better brands use better leather and always have 3 rows of stitching on all the seams. It also looks like there are no glue on type soles that will come close to the durability of a stitched on sole boot.

Even with the features of the HAIX it looks like the soles are not stitched nor does it have the ability to have the soles replaced. I am leaning towards the Rocky Paraboot or the Danner Acadia. Both have similiar features with stitched soles however the Danner is about 100 more dollars and a little more heavy.

I measured my feet at just over 10 inches and used a scale I found on a website to get my true size. I am going to risk ordering online and hope for the best.

dcycleman

Enlightened
I was thinking of trying out the danner super rainforest boots. they look sweet. Any body else try em? I wear chippewas currently but the danners look better and chippewa has been outsourcing more and more which sucks. I gotta admit though its tough spending over 200 on a pair of boots when I know I'll rip through the toes in a year. I'm a carpenter, the soles are the last part to wear out for me.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I was thinking of trying out the danner super rainforest boots. they look sweet.

I don't go anywhere in ice/snow conditions without mine. I don't wear them for work, so after 10+ years, they still look pretty good.

flldo9.jpg

Everything's fully sealed up to about 2 inches from the top, so when they get dirty/dusty/muddy, just hose them off!

Last edited: