Looking but overwhelmed...

Bonedoc

Newly Enlightened
Flashlights have come a long, amazing way and you almost need an EE degree to understand it all. I have used Fenix primarily and not been disappointed but very much prefer American made. I need a one handed operation type (tail button to begin with but cannot use two hands to twist to go up and down luman load) that has a very long throw (think wilderness on a moonless night and need to see motion at least 400 yards and still fit in pocket) Too much to ask for? Doesn't (wouldn't be I guess)need a wide beam at all but up closer really light up a room. I noted Elzetta has Model C333 but it appears to require twisting to range it. Anyway, appreciate the help, somewhat complicated issues now with lights. This would be a more or less tactical application.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire Fury DFT is pretty throwy for a 18650/ 2X CR123 tactical light. You can get it with the Intellieam feature that automatically adjusts the brightness based on how much light is reflected back to the light.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog, the head twist for Hi/low can easily be done one handed when gripping over-hand. It will get you your 400 meters.

I also have the Fury Intellibeam as mentioned by xxo but worth saying that it will never auto-dial to the highest brightness and if your cell isnt fully charged it wont go into turbo mode. I honesty haven't been impressed by mine the regulation is not good. Although the beam is great like any Fury. It throws pretty well for a light its size but I doubt its almost half a kilometer.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Intellibeam feature on some Surefire lights is quite honestly one of the best applicable flashlight achievements since makers started using LED emitters in my opinion. I have the two Fury DFT, one with Intellibeam the other without, as well as the 600 lumen Fury and the 3 CR123 cell Fury with Intellibeam. With this feature SF for once is worth every expensive penny these lights go for. They are built hammer tough and reliable. Only thing I do NOT like about them is that even at $200 SF still does not give a sheath with them. I have PLENTY of other sheaths that I use for them though.

Bonedoc

Newly Enlightened
Well, thank you all for responding. I have an email exchange going on with Gene so am definitely looking there. As mentioned, not in favor of Red China products although they are ubiquitous, but also see Fenix with a supposedly 3K Lumen? But it has a tail switch 'and' the tail also rotates, don't have a free hand to rotate stuff. So the search goes on, will take a look at Surefire but have several friends who "only" buy them and all (!) have said the last couple of years seems to have eroded some of the quality control (true??). Thanks again... I am also looking for comparisons with the high lumen lights. All be safe.

Bonedoc

Newly Enlightened
Elzetta Charlie has a new hi candela option. You can buy it with simple on/off, hi/lo or a twisty on/off switch.
Nice light. I note that 'twisting' seems rather normal these days. So my question is, can one simply twist
before using and it stays in the mode you select so the "hi/lo" click comes on in "highest" output? I don't want anything that I have to twist "when needed"... and I am seeing a lot of that. Thanks very much

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Correct.
If you want it to start on low you loosen the tailcap about 1/3 of a turn from tight. It actualy drops to low around 1/4 turn but loosening just a smidge more ensures it stays on low. Tighten completely for constant high.
But you can buy it with a hi only tailcap.

CHNeal

Enlightened
I second the Hound Dog. It has become my go-to light for night time trail walking. Truth is I've actually started using it as my get to work light as well.
You only need to do the twist to go from high to low or back. Since the twist to adjust is mechanical and not digital the device stays where you put it.