looking for AA light max 40 dollar

eagles079

Newly Enlightened
hi everyone,

as Christmas is getting closer i could use some helping deciding on a flightlight as a gift.
1 - it needs to use AA
2 - the max cost is 40 dollar (that includes shipping to a US address)
3 - it gives off enough light for a nightly walk in the woods looking for a geocache.

options in random order
- Xeno E03
- iTP SA2
- 4sevens aa^2
- jetbeam BA20
- EagelTac P100A2
- Fenix E21

note that ecept for the xeno i listed the 2 AA models because my think that would be the best option because they last longer and aren't to much bigger most of the time.
i'm gonna try to look at all of them closer and read reviews

*first post edited with some ideas

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
single aa or can it be 2x aa? I highly recommend the mini aa^2. It can be had for just under $40 after discount code from 4sevens (google for the code). And if you wait a week or 2 Im sure 47's will have some kind of Thanksgivings Day deals. And they ship free

kreisler

Banned
1 - Xeno E03 - 35.50 dollar max depending on the color
If money is an issue, it ships for 29.90 US$ from hongkong, with free worldwide shipping. It comes in colors so it should be a nice gift if ordered as E03 V2 version since it comes with a metal box. The E03 V3 version ships in a blister pack. I dont like the looks of the iTP SA2 (or even iTP A3 EOS).

nah.

davecroft

Enlightened
If you are willing to go the Hong Kong route (notwithstanding delivery times and potential hassles if you have to return the light), you can get a lot of decent lights for your $40. Jetbeam BA10 and BA20, for example from Manafont. Possibly even a Fenix LD10.

Nothing wrong with the Xeno E03 though, from what I have read it is good value for money.

pblanch

Enlightened
Love my (both of them) Xenos E03. Running alkaline is nice but I use a L91 for just that little more run time. And I use a 14500 to blind the moon.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Xeno E03 and 4sevens Mini AA^2. In my experience the E03 has been well received as a gift, and I usually EDC one myself.

I've also gifted a Mini AA^2, an awesome light that was happily accepted. I still miss it. Can't go wrong with that one.

There are some great AA and AA^2 lights at Shiningbeam for <$40. His new self-branded shiningbeam I-mini and Spark look great for $38 - I need to check them out. He has several ITP AA lights, and a cool highlight is that he carries modified Romisen lights that are quite popular. the Romisen RC-G2 II is <$20, a great 1^AA light, the RC-N3 and RV-N3 can run 2^AA for $24. Search his site on the left bar "by batteries" -> "aa" and you'll see what he's got. Several can also accept lithium CR123 batteries (as well as AA) in case your recipients want to pump up the lumens.

The CQG S2 from Cnqualitygoods has caught my eye. Stainless, slim, 1-AA, clicky, Lo-Med-Hi, gift box: $16. I don't have one and can't speak for the quality, but it might be a nice inexpensive gift light.

Battery Junction has the LRI Proton Pro (1^AA) for $38. It has a secondary red LED that can come in handy at night and makes it twice the fun to play with. Fully adjustable brightness on both white and red. I lost mine a couple years ago (shouldn't drink so much at karaoke) and really miss it. It's not the newest technology but I consider it a worthy 1^AA.

Hope this helps
-John

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E11 - 1xAA. Simple operation, but lacks a true low mode.

Fenix E21 - 2xAA. Also has simple operation, but also lacks a true mode, like E11.

EagelTac P100A2 - 2xAA. One of the best throwing 2xAA production lights out there.

Do note that double-cell configuration will give superior runtime and output than a single-cell config.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Of all my AA lights that cost $40 or less, I use my Klarus P2A the most followed by my Jetbeam BA20. They are very similar. The Shiningbeam I-mini might be a good choice for using 1xAA or it can be used with one CR123 if wanted or needed.

eagles079

Newly Enlightened
i edited the first post with all the options i like so far.
and thanks for all the reactions

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
weez82 said:
single aa or can it be 2x aa? I highly recommend the mini aa^2. It can be had for just under $40 after discount code from 4sevens (google for the code). And if you wait a week or 2 Im sure 47's will have some kind of Thanksgivings Day deals. And they ship free

+1 on 4sevens products. Also like the Jetbeam. Wait for black Friday and you may get more bang for the buck.

weez82

Enlightened
Of all my AA lights that cost $40 or less, I use my Klarus P2A the most followed by my Jetbeam BA20. They are very similar. The Shiningbeam I-mini might be a good choice for using 1xAA or it can be used with one CR123 if wanted or needed.

I know I already recommended the MiNi AA^2 from 4Sevens. But let me add this. You get more than a light from 47's, you get amazing CS if needed and thats something that shouldnt be over looked. Also if you wait a few weeks im sure 47's will have some kind of Thanksgivings Day sales. Last year I picked up 2 mini aa^2 r5's for $28 each. Not saying they will offer that kind of deal again but it is worth it to wait for thanksgiving day sales. And again, customer service shouldnt be over looked

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would save a few $,s and go for an Itp AA cell,good light and you can pick them up for about $25 give or take.I have much more expensive lights which I now regret spending money on them as the Itp does the same job.

jondotcom

Enlightened
I would save a few $,s and go for an Itp AA cell,good light and you can pick them up for about $25 give or take.I have much more expensive lights which I now regret spending money on them as the Itp does the same job.

Ditto that. ITP A2 with xp-g or Olight I2 xp-g. They have extremely long battery life on the lower modes too.

eagles079

Newly Enlightened
hi all ,
first of sorry for the late reaction but I've done some reading up and was also waiting till it's closer to thanksgiving as suggested.
my first question is thanksgiving day sales is that Thursday or Friday ?
seconded I've narrowed my search down to 3 lights
1 - iTP SA2 XP-G R5
2 - 4Sevens Qark mini AA² XP-G R5 (regular)
3 - Klarus P2A XP-G R5
All 3 are 2 X AA flight lights and use the same LED.
The reason i've put iTp on number 1 is the way the switching between mode's work and because going gear site says it's high is 40 Lm more then the 4Sevens ?
And the reason the Klarus is at the 3th spot is because it only has 2 output levels.
all 3 lights are 39.95 on going gear so just at the max of my limit. (limit is a pre determent max for gifts so i can't change it)

anyone who could help me narrow the list down to 1 light ?
and help with what day to get it ? i've already seen that there is a 5 dollar discount on the 4sevens website.

thanks

pinecone

Newly Enlightened
All the above are good choices but I would sure include the EagleTac P100A2 in there with them. I've had excellent results with mine. This is assuming you want a basic light, high and low power. It's a very simple and functional light.

eagles079

Newly Enlightened
took me some time to find a shop where they have the EagleTac P100A2 but apparently they have it at amazon.
so my new list is :
1 - iTP SA2 XP-G R5
2 - 4Sevens Qark mini AA² XP-G R5 (regular)
3 - EagleTac P100A2 Q5
4 - Klarus P2A XP-G R5

now i only need to find out the difference between R5 and Q5 and try to make a final decision.
and i know it's unlogic but eagletac gets bonus points for having eagle in the name