Looking for alternative to Foursevens Preon

Clyfton

Newly Enlightened
I recently lost my beloved 2 AAA Preon. It had what I consider to be the perfect user interface and the perfect 3 levels of brightness.
Click on, 1/2 click to cycle through brightness levels, click off.
Foursevens was acquired by Prometheus in 2018 and it seems the Preon line was dropped.
I tried the LedLenser P4R and didn't like the UI, which was opposite of the Preon.
The NEBO 500+ has the closest UI, but requires long-click for turbo.
The Prometheus / Foursevens Quark QK2A MKIII comes close, but with AA instead of AAA, it will be too wide for what I want.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Coulomb.

Newly Enlightened
The Foursevens Preon is a great light. I have two.

It appears to me that Prometheus has all their lights out of production right now because they are switching to different LED technology.

Wound_Up

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a few months old but when I contacted Prometheus 2 weeks ago and asked about the next shipment, they said 6 weeks. So they should have some soon.

I couldn't wait so I eventually found one on ebay. Like the OP, I lost my MK2 that I've owned since 2010 or so. I lost it around Christmas of 2021 and just started looking for another a few months ago. Glad I saw this one on ebay. I got a great deal on it. $40 plus tax and $5 shipping.

I looked all over for a flashlight similar to the P2 but nothing I found could stand up to it.

Last edited:

Bucur

Enlightened
After about 10 years of service, my Preon P0 stopped working two years ago. Then, I realized that it was like something too good to be true. I no longer can use what I consider my ideal keychain light. I don't want anything bigger / heavier. I now make do with a Ledlenser K1 but it doesn't fill the deficiency. It is even smaller but the button cells in series that power it are no match for an AAA Eneloop. There are a zillion kinds of keychain lights but I am at a loss to find a featherweight one that is barely bigger than the AAA battery that it is powered with. I wish I could be of help.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prometheus is making select P1 runs of lights in house. There is no definite time frame for when we will see more runs of p2's.
They have not been discontinued.
Originally both P1's and P2's were made at oversees factories and changed to being made in house.
P2's and P1's can still be found on internet sites.
GL

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old thread, but the newest Preons with an LED "upgrade" and more output are available for preorder:

I am a fan but not a shill so some alternates would be:
  • Reylight Mini Pineapple 2xAAA: only in Titanium, Cu, Brass, but not much more money. Can turn memory and moon mode on and off. Sometimes out of stock
  • Nitecore MT06MD - Older Nichia 219b in 5000k, which is still a great LED. Under $30, always starts on Low.
  • Lumintop IYP365 - Also under $30, has memory

Last edited:

boo5ted

Enlightened
Made in China but amazing quality by Rey, look for the Pineapple Mini from Reylight. He has plenty of options in color, material and body shape available.

Clyfton

Newly Enlightened
Old thread, but the newest Preons with an LED "upgrade" and more output are available for preorder:

I am a fan but not a shill so some alternates would be:
  • Reylight Mini Pineapple 2xAAA: only in Titanium, Cu, Brass, but not much more money. Can turn memory and moon mode on and off. Sometimes out of stock
  • Nitecore MT06MD - Older Nichia 219b in 5000k, which is still a great LED. Under $30, always starts on Low.
  • Lumintop IYP365 - Also under $30, has memory
I ordered and returned a new Preon P2 MKIII ... It does not have the original UI. You have to change the modes with soft-taps before turning the flashlight on with a hard-click, which is backwards to me.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Dark horse contender, but my back-up to my main EDC light (one of far too many different models) is the Powertac Sabre 2AAA LED model.

High/Low/Strobe. Reverse-clicky tailcap switch. Half press to change modes. Works with Alkalines and rechargeable AAA cells. My back-up isn't part of a rotation. Unlike my main EDC light.