Looking for an under hood light for vehicles...

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Heat from the engine would kill whatever lighting equipment you put under there...wouldn't it? Why not have leads coming from the cigarette port and all the electronics inside the car with you that can be operated remotely from the outsde? The control circuitry can be tucked into the dashboard somewhere...or something.

If you want, you can just go with the portable magnetic solutions that already exist. Here's another idea too, what if you put negative and positive contacts on a magnetic bar under the hood, and have a proprietary light bar built that will have corresponding contacts as well as a toggle switch to turn on when you manually fit it to the magnet?

That way, you can remove the lighting bar when you're done, and you shouldn't have to worry about the power...
Any ideas? I kind of want a permanent install, and can be battery operated.

What say the forum?

I thought about putting a clamp to hold my McGiz Mule, only when I need it. Not sure about that?

Thank you,

NR

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I do custom vehicle lighting I recommend browsing superbrightleds.com and seeing if there is anything you like. I would just hard wire something in and mount in to the hood. Put in a switch and you'd be good to go. Super bright has quality stuff and I haven't had any problem with them.

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
I used these under the bed rail in my truck bed http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-Waterpro...194597?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item19c7f96c65 16 foot for $18. It looks like a landing strip when I turn the lights on :grin2:
You can cut them to the size you want and use the leftover for whatever else you want. I used my left over for better light in the cargo van
Or you can just get these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-White-Waterproof-SMD5050-50CM-30-LED-Flexible-Strip-Light-DC-12V-/321364691476?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item4ad2d40a14

As Tac Gunner stated,,,Superbright has them ,But it comes out to just under a $1 an inch compared to just over a $1 a foot from ebay
You can use a regular switch, pressure switch,mercury switch or if you already have a light under there just tie into that