Looking for waterproof/bombproof keychain light

cerbie

Enlightened
I can't speak for the Peak (though they have a good reputation), but the Arc is extremely tough, putting the Fenix to shame. I tried to like their 1st-gen E0, but it was made of softer aluminum, the finish wore off very easily, and it wasn't grippy enough when getting even a little bit wet (the knurling is poor, as the tube wears, its hard angles help less and less). The beam had more throw, and looked more white, much due to combining the yellow and blue sections of the beam. it also is a little brighter, and more efficient, but that only helps if you always are feeding new cells (see below). I think the regulation circuit of the Arc is ideal for such a small light.

The Arc gives you good voltage regulated light on any type of AAA battery (alkie, NIMH, LSD NIMH, CZ (yuck), Lithium), with 4+ hours of good light on a new primary cell; you can tell both by output and tint-shifting (it gets more "angry blue" as it dims) when it needs a new battery. It gives you hours, even on NIMH, to find a new cell, and will take to used cells (like scavenging from remotes and such) very well. If you keep it on, it will keep on until the battery is slap dead (it needs 0.9V resting or so to turn on, but will go down to something like 0.4V before it quits, IIRC). The Fenix will give you only minutes of indication before it is too dim to use, even though it does get more total light from a cell.

Runtime graphs of the original Peak Matterhorn make it look like a plain voltage gain circuit, dimming quickly, but offering a very long tail. They may do differently, now, or have an option for better regulation, if you call.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Fenix will give you only minutes of indication before it is too dim to use, even though it does get more total light from a cell.

Sorry, but that is simply not true. The E01 for example can give you 15 hours of table top flat regulated output, then over a period of about .5-1 hour (not minutes) dims to a moon mode, which will operate for another DAY in moon mode. It will also fire on a lower voltage, down to .4v. Total runtime has been tested to be over 40 hours on an alkaline. There is simply no chance of being surprised and having no light.

The physical aspects are not really relevant of the E0 because it has been discontinued for almost a year. The E01 has much more knurling vs the E0, and a more robust construction vs the Arc.

cerbie

Enlightened
OK, take everything but the material/finish back out (based on the current L1T).
I'm tempted to edit the text out, but, "meh." It would be disingenuous/deceitful, in a way.

<- looks at getting a E01 for testing purposes...:broke: :crazy:

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
E01 is the best choice for your situation, it is as rugged and waterproof as you can get for the price. OD finish seems to hold up best. Eventually the reflector might corrode from saltwater but it doesn't really need it anyway. Also has great knurling and runtime.

Last edited:

JBorneu

Enlightened
The way I see it, I can pick either of these options with keychain lights:
*A bombproof, waterproof 5mm LED light with fairly good output and a long runtime, for example the Fenix E01.
*A less sturdy light with multiple output options, more output, reflector and thus more things to fail, for example the Liteflux LF2 X Cree Q5
*(not worth considering in this situation)A very cheap light with decent output but no reliability, for example fauxtons.

I'm going to buy the Fenix E01, it looks like it's the new Arc AAA and it's very cheap. It seems to be the ultimate backup light: simple, reliable, tough, common cell, long runtime and cheap.

I might just get the Liteflux also because I like flashlights (no, really?), it would be nice to show off and I can carry it when I can't carry my Nitecore Defender Infinity on my belt (in a suit, for example) but still want a bright light.

If somebody has other recommendations, feel free to make them, I won't be ordering it till the end of the week, I don't trust the internet connection here.

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
I am surprise no one mention the Glo Toob lithium. It is design as a marker light for scuba diving applications. It is rated to about 11000 feet and will fit nicely on a key chain.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the Mako and La Petite Killer lights are very nice lights and I don't doubt their durability, but I can't justify spending $110 on one of these lights. Yes, they are pieces of art, but I'm not a collector, and for that price I can get three arc AAA's with the same functionality.

I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to address this comment. I'm not encouraging your decision for any light over any other, but the Arc AAA and LPK do not have equal functionality to the Mako in several respects. Firstly, the Mako doesn't overdrive the LED past the rated drive current, which will result in progressive, and noticeable decreasing in brightness of the light over time. Secondly, neither of those two lights have two regulated stages, they are both single stage. Thirdly, the Mako uses a nicer LED than the Nichia LEDs in both of those lights, which in my experience, produce a beam with a very blue center hotspot and yellowish outer corona. Titanium is also more durable than aluminum, but I don't expect that that would factor much into your decision making. :shrug:

Now, whether or not those distinctions are actually worth it to you is another story, but the Mako most certainly is not "just art" nor equivalent to the other lights you mentioned. However, the point may be moot since the Mako isn't available yet anyway! :nana:

-Enrique

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to comment on a few things:

1) JBorneu, your English is perfect--it turns out that your situation actually is pretty dramatic and the gravity is well warranted!

2) Can I just give a -1 for the Fenix EO1? I'm a Fenix lover, mind you (I adore my TK11 with all my heart!) and I wanted to love the EO1, but its output was just so low... and so blue... I just felt like for carrying around that much light, you just didn't get the bang for your buck... I don't know. I'm currently obsessed with the Lummi Wee and that is a TINY light that puts out a huge amount! Granted, runtime/brightness trade off is key, but I just felt that the EO1 was too dim for my needs in this sort of a last ditch light. The part that broke my spirit is when my tiny fauxton on my keychain blew it away in terms of color and brightness... I know, I know... there are other compromises, but I never could recover. That said, how durable is the Wee?

3) Finally, can I just say how much I love/hate you guys and this hobby?! Now I'm obsessed with the Glo Toob lithium--it is really neat! And it does seem closest in many ways to my dream of a real "phial of Galadriel" (I know, I'm obsessing...). I think I need to pick one up! Can someone summarize which one to get, including color? (i.e., is one color brighter/better for our purposes here?)