Lumapower Connexion X2 Review (1AA): BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, etc.

Superorb

Enlightened
Does it still tailstand with the DX GITD taicap? And if so do you remember the SKU#?

Does anyone know if the high or medium level will drop in output or drop to the low level when the battery starts to get drained or does the light suddenly leave you in the dark? I guess I'm asking if there is any type of moon mode to give warning that the battery is being depleted.

Thanks.
It will not tailstand at all with the DX tailcap the way I have it.

I'm testing it now with an almost-depleted Duraloop on High. It seems to have stayed in high for a few seconds, then dropped to medium and then low pretty quickly. The battery was dead in other lights, so I'll retest again.

EDIT: I'm starting on medium now. I'll report back later.

I put a little shim, about 1-2 mm thick (I used some spare sticky plastic stuff) under the button. It makes the tailcap stick out a bit more when off and produces a slight wobble when on.

This allows tailstanding and makes for much easier activation. Any shim material will do, and you can experriment to get best feel with tailstanding.
This is probably the best method because it doesn't require another tailcap unless you want one with a cap that extends out.

Superorb

Enlightened
I'll have to do a test with a fresh battery. With an almost dead Eneloop, I tried it on Medium. I didn't start on High, so I don't know how it would have performed. But, when Med started going low, it switched to Low and lasted for about 30 seconds on Low before it got really dim and cut off.

When I put a new battery in though, it restarted in Medium where I originally started it with the dead battery. I'm doing it in High now with a newer battery.

Superorb

Enlightened
This is pretty interesting. It got pretty warm after about 30 minutes. I turned it off, and it wouldn't turn back on till it was cooled down. I wish I would have left it on b/c about 2 minutes after turning it back on it dimmed to Med mode. It sat for about 5 minutes on Med and then dimmed to Low mode where it sat for another 5 minutes and then into a lower moon mode for another 5 minutes. I took some pics of the moon mode, but most were blurry due to not using a tripod.

_MG_2738.jpg

_MG_2742.jpg

_MG_2743.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'll have to do a test with a fresh battery. With an almost dead Eneloop, I tried it on Medium. I didn't start on High, so I don't know how it would have performed. But, when Med started going low, it switched to Low and lasted for about 30 seconds on Low before it got really dim and cut off.
You might want to consider limiting these sorts of tests to alkaline batteries. Like most lights, the Connexion doesn't have a low-voltage protection circuit. So it will be depleting your Eneloops to damaging levels if you run it to the point when the light cuts off.

If I recall correctly from some of the work of SilverFox here, depleting eneloops basically damages their low-self-discharge characteristics (i.e. repeatedly draining that far can eventually turn them into low-capacity regular NiMH).

gunga

Flashaholic
I put a little shim, about 1-2 mm thick (I used some spare sticky plastic stuff) under the button. It makes the tailcap stick out a bit more when off and produces a slight wobble when on.

This allows tailstanding and makes for much easier activation. Any shim material will do, and you can experriment to get best feel with tailstanding.

Hey, I just discovered something looking at my Connexion switch (I was looking at my ES polished one which is a tiny bit different before).

THe Switch assembly is put together as follows, from bottom (battery side) up:

1. medium plastic washer
2. switch itself
3. thick plastic spacer/washer
4. 2 thin plastic washers
5. rubber boot
6. thin plastic washer
7. clip
8. retaining ring.

If you take it all apart, and simply place the 2 thin washers (#4) just above the medium plastic washer (between #1 & #2) it will raise the switch enough for much easier activation! No shim required!

The switch is a lot easier to activate now but there is a fair bit of wobble when tailstanding.

You can experiment by only moving 1 of the washers if you want better tailstanding at the expense of activation ease.

I'm using only 1 washer shifted over, so activation is easier and tailstanding is stable (does not tailstand when off, but it does when on!).

Raybo

Enlightened
I just use my light(s)!

Next thing you know we all will want some crazy thing like all of our lights made out of titanium...........go figure! :tired:

Anybody Own a Lumapower Connexion 2? Having a Problem.

I just received my Lumapower Connexion 2 today. Looks fantastic. Threw in a battery (the right way) and it didn't fire.

I was like, "UMMMM" okay. First flashlight ever that didn't fire right out of the package. This includes my cheap Romisens and Ultrafires.

So I go to unscrew the head and 1/4 turn loose and the light turns on. Okay, so I tighten it up again and light goes off.

Now, I read the instructions and it doesn't mention anything about a head/twisty safety lockout feature to prevent the light from turning on. So what kind of problem am I having here?

The light will not operate unless the head is loose. If the head is tightened (even just slightly tightened), it will not turn on.

I am using Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.

Any idea? Defective light? Problem with O-Rings? Bad connection?

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: Anybody Own a Lumapower Connexion 2? Having a Problem.

Bad connexion?

:D

Try cleaning the battery contact surfaces and the threads on the body and head. The light uses the body threads as part of the power path, so gummy threads could cause an issue.

Bad connexion?

:D

Try cleaning the battery contact surfaces and the threads on the body and head. The light uses the body threads as part of the power path, so gummy threads could cause an issue.

Thanks for the recommendation Gunga. Will try that. You'd think they would test these at the factory for that no? Hehe. I'll give it a shot.

Update: Okay cleaned the threads and battery connection. Still no firing unless head is loosened. When I tighten the head, the light flickers for a half second and turns off.

Hmmm... I emailed the company I bought it from, but hoping I didn't get a dud. =(

Kind of ironic that my most expensive flashlight to date is the one that doesn't work.

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened

I just received my Lumapower Connexion 2 today. Looks fantastic. Threw in a battery (the right way) and it didn't fire.

I was like, "UMMMM" okay. First flashlight ever that didn't fire right out of the package. This includes my cheap Romisens and Ultrafires.

So I go to unscrew the head and 1/4 turn loose and the light turns on. Okay, so I tighten it up again and light goes off.

Now, I read the instructions and it doesn't mention anything about a head/twisty safety lockout feature to prevent the light from turning on. So what kind of problem am I having here?

The light will not operate unless the head is loose. If the head is tightened (even just slightly tightened), it will not turn on.

I am using Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.

Any idea? Defective light? Problem with O-Rings? Bad connection?

Please keep us updated on what you find.

I nearly ordered a Connexion 2 earlier today and still may, should the UI on the Nitecore D10 turn out to be unsatisfactory.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Update: Okay cleaned the threads and battery connection. Still no firing unless head is loosened. When I tighten the head, the light flickers for a half second and turns off.
Hmm, do you mean when tightening the reflector/head against the portion with the pill/emitter? If so, it could be a contact problem - the reflector may be shorting out the contacts going to the LED.

Check to make sure the insulating black disc is present around the LED. Otherwise, unless you are handy with a soldering iron and have some kapton tape, you might want to check with your dealer/LP for a RMA ...

Hmm, do you mean when tightening the reflector/head against the portion with the pill/emitter? If so, it could be a contact problem - the reflector may be shorting out the contacts going to the LED.

Check to make sure the insulating black disc is present around the LED. Otherwise, unless you are handy with a soldering iron and have some kapton tape, you might want to check with your dealer/LP for a RMA ...

No, this is the complete head assembly being tightened back onto the battery body. When I tighten the head (thus compressing the battery) it will turn off.

*UPDATE*

I tried another battery and the light works now with a fully tightened head. Then an hour later, wouldn't fire. Switched battery back to old battery and it fired with fully tightened head.

An hour later, it fired perfectly on both batteries. Not sure what's going on. Will keep using it and keep you all updated.

clg0159

Enlightened
I had a similar problem and had to send mine back. It seemed to be a connection issue but I couldn't seem to fix it. Although I had to pay to ship it back my replacement worked fine and now has a nice new Q3 5A in it :grin2:

*UPDATE*

This light is just working glitchy. Had to send it back for a replacement. Here's to hoping I get a good one in return.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread... thanks Selfbuilt, gunga... everyone for the input.

I recently bought a Nitecore D10 R2 and ConneXion X2.

Some thoughts on the ConneXion X2...

•decent high output, though not great
•nice l.o.w low!
•nice body, small and lean, the two "flats" have a nice feel in the hand
•better switching now that I did some mods (see below)
•memory for output level
•nice beam, I like the adjustability
•nice neutral color quality
•ability to run on alka, NiMH, and Li-Ion
•option to use Turbo head (really interested in checking this out!)

DISLIKES
•having to switch the light off to change output levels-definitely don't like this
•high-ish price, approaching the much more capable Nitecore D10

I think this light may perhaps be more appropriately priced at around $35-39, rather than at $45, but I definitely don't regret buying it.

Thanks to those here who offered suggestions, my ConneXion X2 works much better for me now that I adjusted the placement of a couple of washer/spacers and installed a new 14mm boot (from DX). I trimmed the engagement plug in the center of the boot just a bit to allow good operation.... great mods! Thanks again.

If I had to choose between the X2 and the D10, I'd definitely take the D10 over the X2, but fortunately, I don't have to make that choice and can have them both! The X2 is a very nice AA light that I enjoy having and using... it's a keeper!

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
gunga... I read somewhere that you had replaced the emitter in your ConneXion with a warm tint Q3... have you posted the details of that mod anywhere you could direct me to? Thanks.