Lumapower Connexion X2 Review (1AA): BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, etc.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is this pretty much par for the course as far as 1AA lights go?
The output/runtime graphs in the review should help answer that for you.

Simply put, there are brighter and longer-lasting 1AA lights out there, but the X2 is pretty good overall. Med and Lo modes are lower in output than most 1AA lights.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine today and the tint is just slightly cooler than the one of Connexion. I would not by any means call it cool.

The improvement in the surface finish is noticeable and also in my specimen the beam is cleaner especially with the reflector fairly unfocused. I plan to use it for reading in bed at medium level (more than 7 hours on a NiMH) and hope to enjoy it as much as its predecessor.

Ah, BTW this is my eighth Lumapower. :grin2:

Superorb

Enlightened
I received mine today and the tint is just slightly cooler than the one of Connexion. I would not by any means call it cool.

The improvement in the surface finish is noticeable and also in my specimen the beam is cleaner especially with the reflector fairly unfocused. I plan to use it for reading in bed at medium level (more than 7 hours on a NiMH) and hope to enjoy it as much as its predecessor.

Ah, BTW this is my eighth Lumapower. :grin2:
Would this be good to use as a dim light to walk around the house at night with adjusted eyes? I'm looking for something with a low Lo mode that could also double as EDC.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would this be good to use as a dim light to walk around the house at night with adjusted eyes? I'm looking for something with a low Lo mode that could also double as EDC.

Well I don't know what lights you are familiar with. I can tell you as an example that the CX2's low mode is much much lower than the Fenix LD01's one. Or if you take Nitecore D10 (one of the lowest low available) a short blip on the switch when ramping up from minimum is enough to match CX2's level.

In any case 4 lumens is really not much light.... ;) ... no risk of being blinded even in the dead of the night. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Well I don't know what lights you are familiar with. I can tell you as an example that the CX2's low mode is much much lower than the Fenix LD01's one. Or if you take Nitecore D10 (one of the lowest low available) a short blip on the switch when ramping up from minimum is enough to match CX2's level.
I agree the X2 (and original Connexion for that matter) have a good low mode. It is lower than either the Fenix or Olight lows, for example. Personally, I like an even lower low for dark adapted eyes (i.e. something close to the D10 min), but I would think the X2 is certainly an acceptable all-around EDC.

Last edited:

Raybo

Enlightened
I just recieved an "original" Connexion from Matt at BJ and I have to say, it's better than I expected. :thumbsup:

I have no issues with the clicky using my thumb (i'm going to say that my hands are not large or small........but average) The three modes are perfect IMHO, and the low is a blessing.

Anyone want to buy my Jetts Blackbird?

Ray

Hedgehog

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap is a standard 14 mm wide one.

You can do 2 things.

1. switch to a 14 mm boot from say DX (any aftermarket one, available in black, orange and glow for about $2.5 per 12). The light will be easy to activate but not tailstand.

2. I put a tiny bit of spacer material (I had some spare bits of rubber) about 1mm thick or so. This will make the light a lot easier to activate, and it will tailstand when on (it wobbles a bunch when off).

Option 1 does not work for me. I tried these 14mm tailcaps from DX but after installation the fit is too crowded in the tailcap. There's not enough "room" for the tailcap to pop out and turn off. I have some extras so if any X2 owners want to have a try, PM your address and I will mail some, gratis.

copperfox

Enlightened
Option 1 does not work for me. I tried these 14mm tailcaps from DX but after installation the fit is too crowded in the tailcap. There's not enough "room" for the tailcap to pop out and turn off. I have some extras so if any X2 owners want to have a try, PM your address and I will mail some, gratis.

There is a rubber post in the center of each of those boots. Shorten it using sandpaper, a grinding wheel, or an x-acto knife. Trim a little at a time and then reassemble the switch. Trial and error. :thumbsup:

Hedgehog

Newly Enlightened
There is a rubber post in the center of each of those boots. Shorten it using sandpaper, a grinding wheel, or an x-acto knife. Trim a little at a time and then reassemble the switch. Trial and error. :thumbsup:

It works. Thanks. For the record, about a 3/64" slice did the trick.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see Ricky has started a new X2 announcement thread on CPFMP.

It looks like the the shipping versions will also come with a removable lanyard, user manual, and extra tailcap button cover.

Looking at the lanyard/clip attachment point, I'm thinking you could also put a small split ring there if you wanted.

Was this on pre-ordered X2s coming with a lanyard? I didn't get one with my X2, but I have a holster instead. A lanyard is more useful to me than a holster.

Mikellen

Enlightened
I just received my X2 with a lanyard and no holster. I'd prefer to have gotten the holster. Beacon of Light if you want to swap, give me a PM.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my X2 with a lanyard and no holster. I'd prefer to have gotten the holster. Beacon of Light if you want to swap, give me a PM.

Not sure it is worth it postage wise, even though I do live in Florida as well. Would have been nice to get everything that was supposed to be included when I ordered it from Battery Junction.

chokker

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the x2, it should be here tomorrow. Can I use sanyo rechargable batteries in the light.

Superorb

Enlightened
Anyone have any info on the 2AA version coming out soon?

I ordered the x2, it should be here tomorrow. Can I use sanyo rechargable batteries in the light.
Sure. Make sure they're NiMH though. It does VERY well on my Duraloops too.

Mikellen

Enlightened
I hear it's common for the switch to be stiff while engaging it to the constant on position and mine is no acception. Does the switch get any easier the more you use it? I mean does it need to be broken in like a pair of shoes to lose its stiffness?

Superorb

Enlightened
I hear it's common for the switch to be stiff while engaging it to the constant on position and mine is no acception. Does the switch get any easier the more you use it? I mean does it need to be broken in like a pair of shoes to lose its stiffness?
I replaced the stock tail cap with another GITD one from DX. This way, it's MUCH easier to press since it's no longer so recessed, and it's also much easier to fully press the button.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Does it still tailstand with the DX GITD taicap? And if so do you remember the SKU#?

Does anyone know if the high or medium level will drop in output or drop to the low level when the battery starts to get drained or does the light suddenly leave you in the dark? I guess I'm asking if there is any type of moon mode to give warning that the battery is being depleted.

Thanks.

gunga

Flashaholic
I put a little shim, about 1-2 mm thick (I used some spare sticky plastic stuff) under the button. It makes the tailcap stick out a bit more when off and produces a slight wobble when on.

This allows tailstanding and makes for much easier activation. Any shim material will do, and you can experriment to get best feel with tailstanding.