Lumintop FW3A - 3D - wow, just WOW

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primarily for their ramping brightness feature and rear clickie, I l-o-v-e my NC D11.2s. But, working on large machines and at night, sometimes my D11s couldn't put out quite enough useable light. I've wanted and needed a brighter 18650 D12 (if you will) for almost a decade.

So, when the LT FWXXs became available, I got some FW3Xs. All have the "Muggle Bug" and I had to work on all of them to get them to be reliable. But they outshine (yes double entendre intended) my D11s.

I now have an Emisar KR4 on the way. It should be an even better light than the FW3X.

That being said, and problems not ignored, the FW3A still wows me.

I, too, have an Emisar KR4 (SST-20 3000k 95CRI) on the way, from Hank Wang. Really looking forward to receiving it. I love that the form factor is quite like the FW3A.

As for the FW3A... I'm still loving it. And from what I've heard from others, it seems that if you just leave the tailcap alone (change batteries from the front) you get trouble free operation. That's a really easy thing to do. It is just as easy to swap batteries from the front as it is to do so from the back. Let the tailcap be left in place!

As for heat, just run the light at around 800 lumens or below most of the time, wick it off with your hand, and no heat problems. 800 lumens is a heck of a lot of light output from such a small light. And just use the mega output for brief spells.

If you need 2000 lumen output continuous, with long runtimes and no heat issues, there are other lights (much larger!) specifically designed for that.

Last edited:

Mgizler

Enlightened
So far I really like this light! I actually like it more than the emissar d4 that I had. Now line was the d4 version 1. It would ramp down like crazy on what seemed like anything over a few hundred lumens. Maybe the v2 is different. I also like the you still have two brightness options in momentary while locked out. Very handy!

I will most likely leave the light in the stock form for now. Minus the glow in the dark gasket I ordered from Nealsgadgets.
Thanks again for all the help guys.

Although different than most of my other lights, I still think this light is a homerun.

Mgizler

Enlightened
That's what counts! Even though the "I Like" is based on subjective, as well as objective factors.

The FW series is different from Fenix and different from Nitecore and HDS and different from Olight and Malkoff, too. But, that's why I like the FW series. It has some unpalpable, subjective "FW-ism" that no one else has.

It really does! It's definitely different from all my lights. My HDS is still the king and favorite of my collection. But this fw fills a unique void better than my old d4 did.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my whining aside, I actually am glad I bought the FW3A. It has a nice look; very sleek. Once you do the necessary adjustments to it once in awhile, the light works pretty well. And, for output in such a small size, I think only the D4 beats it. I can't use it for EDC, but for around the house I like it. I especially like the warm 7A tint I got. I'm a little nervous to leave a battery in it, after some of the reports about buggy Anduril firmware, so I keep it on a non-flammable surface just in case.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my whining aside, I actually am glad I bought the FW3A. It has a nice look; very sleek. Once you do the necessary adjustments to it once in awhile, the light works pretty well. And, for output in such a small size, I think only the D4 beats it. I can't use it for EDC, but for around the house I like it. I especially like the warm 7A tint I got. I'm a little nervous to leave a battery in it, after some of the reports about buggy Anduril firmware, so I keep it on a non-flammable surface just in case.

Yes, same here. I didn't buy it to be an EDC light, as I prefer 14500-form factor (or 16340) for a pocket light. I bought mine for use around the house and property and for that I think it's awesome. Very compact and enjoyable size, with tremendous output. And I love the light-touch electronic switch.

I step outside at night with the dogs and it's great for that, ramped to medium or up toward high. A ton of light output without needing to engage turbo. :thumbsup: And easy to hit turbo for a few moments, if needed for effect! :naughty:

The beam and tint on the 3D 5000k version is very smooth, clean, and neutral. I know I would enjoy the 7D version, as well - especially in tail standing Candle mode, as a bedroom mood light.

Change batteries from the front and there should be no operational issues.

I have a Noctigon KR4 (Warm White - SST20 3000K 95CRI) inbound and I think I'm going to have to pick up an Emisar D4V2 HP - both... just for the fun of it all. :twothumbs

Hank Wang... heading your way!

Last edited:

Mgizler

Enlightened
Quick question guys. When in battery check mode, what blinks indicate what voltage? I cannot seem to find the info for this. I think I either have a drained battery, or I somehow adjusted the high to be nearly the same as turbo mode. I'm determined to become fluent with this UI. I think that was the one reason I fell out of love with my old D4. I did not spend enough time trying to learn and mess with the UI.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight... it's in Candle-light mode, gently flickering on the ceiling in the bedroom, as I surf the web and prepare for sleep. Candlelight mode, gently flickering on the bedroom ceiling, hits it out of the park, for me! Not to mention Turbo, when I step outside. Lumintop & Toykeeper, you are magnificent!

This thread inspired me to pickup an EDC18 (sorry FW3A) and now I finally have a way to illuminate the Turkish mosaic hanging lamp I got at the Grand Bazaar. Looks awesome in candle mode! Thanks Dhart! :thumbsup:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread inspired me to pickup an EDC18 (sorry FW3A) and now I finally have a way to illuminate the Turkish mosaic hanging lamp I got at the Grand Bazaar. Looks awesome in candle mode! Thanks Dhart! :thumbsup:

Most welcome, my friend. Some people may laugh at Candle mode, but for those of use who enjoy low-light, ambient mood lighting (for meditation, or in the bedroom, wherever) - Candle mode is awesome - especially with a very warm emitter choice.

Another very cool product for candle light ambiance are these battery-operated LED candles, with motion and even remote control. I bought a set just to try out and they are fantastic! Highly recommended and not expensive at all!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JLETPUG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another very cool product for candle light ambiance are these battery-operated LED candles, with motion and even remote control. I bought a set just to try out and they are fantastic! Highly recommended and not expensive at all!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JLETPUG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Right you are! I have a couple sets already and also set of dining table candlesticks. They look awesome for mood lighting.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Agree with some of the comments, I have two of the FW3A's and one of them is flakey... tried the loosen / tighten method but no joy. I have to say that the pricepoint is great and light output is amazing.

But, given the flakiness and the ease of the switch in activation, I cannot say that I can trust this light as a true tool light and it's not one that I would edc. I have brought it along on some evening walks for testing purposes but mine is currently relegated to shelf queen status and sitting on my bedside table (along with a couple of ZL's, SF's for when something goes bump in the night and a Vinh-modded JB).

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought an fw3a on Friday. I didn't realize the fw1a Pro was an option or I would have bought it! Man that thing is a thrower

I have a FW1A and it is NOT a thrower! It does have more throw than the three emitter FW3A, but it is still a floody light.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you would so that you can get to the μprocessor.

That makes it not practical for most then. They should have put some sort of USB interface on the light to accomplish firmware updates (and other things!). Anyway, I got mine to the point where it works every time I turn it on now, and I am not messing with it anymore!!:D

Latest posts