Lumintop SD26 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
One more new product from Lumintop. This time – quite interesting for it`s price.
SD26 was provided for review by manufacturer.

849d21ab92.jpg

PACKAGE AND APPEARANCE.
Nothing new – Lumintop`s traditional thick cardboard box, solid enough to survive transportation from China, and good enough to be a gift.
49bb5e.jpg

e8bbf6.jpg

Paclage includes: flashlight, lanyard, holster, usb-cable, manual, spare button and o-ring.

e8697a.jpg

fe2313.jpg

d0471b.jpg

In last 5-6 months i`ve reviewed some 26650 lights like KlarusG20,Olight R50,Acebeam EC50,Utorch UT02. And this one is definitely smallest.
You may be skeptical about carrying 26650 light as EDC, but nevertheless, this one is compact enough to fit jacket pocket. Of course it also too large for short`s pocket,which size limit us to something like U11 or 16340 lights. But for regular jacket – SD26 is small enough – 123mm long, 38\32mm head\body diameter.
Just quick compare
cb3704.jpg

SD26 has accurate appearance. Compact (for 26650 of course) but solid and comfortably fitting in palm.
116db0.jpg

Matte anodizing with rhombic knurling.
8fc822.jpg

Flashlight consists of 3 parts.
cce894.jpg

3c72b6.jpg

Dualsprings
ac8d16.jpg

11f13e.jpg

Threads are rectangular, i`d add some more lubrication.
07defa.jpg

176940.jpg

Logo and model name at tail.
916b84.jpg

0aa18e.jpg

Bezel is kinda tactical, crown-shaped, with 3 theeth (not that sharp to tear a hole in pocket)
2fbade.jpg

dd89aa.jpg

2f1f3b.jpg

3e7f5b.jpg

Button and USB-charging port are located at opposite sides of head. Last one is covered with rubber plug really tightly, so it`ll require some effort to close it. But as well this means better waterproof. Button also serves as green light indicator.
fa6e90.jpg

a9f239.jpg

0a8e0f.jpg

4cccaa.jpg

While EDC25 has only 0.85A charging amperage, here is good 2A, so it take about 3 and half hours to fully charge 4500-5000mah battery. Well, thanx.
a3c3a7fde9.jpg

Cooling ribs may seem just too small, but keep in mind that max brightness here is just 1000 lums and then falls to about 700 after stepdown. That`s why I don`t think this may result in any overheating at all.
57688f.jpg

UI .
UI is simple and convinient (at least for me)

In comments to Russian version of review there were some negative ones, guys voted for zebra`s sort of UI, with on\off by simple click and switching modes by holding button. Well, though i`m not against this, I still prefer another sort, which is implemented here.
Long press – on\off
Short presses – mode switching.
There is a mode memory.
The only negative feature here (to my mind) is strobe activation. To enter strob you have to turn the light off and hold button for 3 sec. So if light is on and you seriously need to turn strobe RIGHT NOW, you will have to wait at least 5 sec (turn off + hold button).In some situation this is a too long.
Though, I must admit, that in my personal experience, there was no any need to turn strobe on but just seldom situations to shut up my wife )) So for most-most of occasions this is not a problem at all.
And as threads are anodized, you can physically lock SD26 by slightly unscrewing tail.

SD26 IN WORK
SD26 has regular CW with visible hotspot. But sidelight is quite wide, I have to admit, to be used in near-range.
4c761e.png

There is also a kinda of cross-shaped artifact, there was suggestion that this is the reflection of LED`s edges. Anyway, this artifact is seen when distance between flashlight and illuminated surface is quite short.
b8aa50.jpg

5b620a.jpg

I measured *amperage *at tail, here are results: 0.04-0.078-0.286-1.19-1.69А (upd. i checked turbo one more time. may be i placed my test leads wrong way.now i see 2.02A.)

1.69 for 1000lums in turbo…hm…of course that is not precise measurments right at LED, but I still think this number is quite small. But still, for eyes turbo looks like stated 1000lums. So i`m little bit confused.

Variety of modes is good, convenient enough for situations from "oh, i`ve almost step at dog`s crap" to " what is that stumbels along over there, in the graveyard"
Pencil test *didn`t revealed any sight of visible PWM-shimmering.
About 7 meters to door.
sdkorodir.gif

About 15 meters
sd26dvor.gif

175meters to wall.
sd25stena.gif

Stabilization is good. With such a battery, runtime will be enough for a lot of long-lasting needs.
OVERALL
SD26 makes a good impression. Of course there is a lot of 26650 flashlights around. SD26 is nor super-bright, neither laser-beam throwing. It is just simple flashlight for regular needs. But! It is compact, has 2A usb-charging port, and reasonably prices. Some other lights are brighter, some are smaller. But they are as well either more expensive or bigger, or there is no USB-charging port. This one, I think, is a good compromise for it`s price.
I`d personally add optional OP version and change strobe activation, for the rest SD 26 seems to be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heiti567

Newly Enlightened
I owned the lumintop sd26 for two weeks. By trying to charge it for the second time the charging port fell of the pcb due to cold soldering joints. According to Gearbest this is not covered by their waranty cause the item is damaged by the user. I would not recommend this light due to it's poor buikd quality. My first and last lumintop.

narmattaru

Enlightened
bad news (

i`ll ask lumintop manager if they can help you out in this situation. but i assume you`ll have to send light back to luymintop, they`ll send you new one instead.

hope they`ll also offer you good discount at their ali store

flashlight manufacturers usually more likely to help forum members ...rather than regular buyers, i assume )