• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

lux III vs P7 Rainier

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering if there is going to be a big difference in output. I have a old brass Rainier and would like to know how much more light I will get with the P7.
thanks for any help

easilyled

Flashaholic
IIRC with a lux III, you would not be pushing more than about 80 lumens for the Rainier. In those days, this was very bright. :)

In fact I own a brass Rainier (originally luxeon) which I had someone mod with an SSC-P4 which outputs about 130 lumens.

With a P7 Rainier, Peak are advertising 400 lumens. I would guess that the OTF lumens is probably more like 350.

So yes, its a very big difference between 80 and 350 ;)

You might also consider having the Rainier modded with a Cree XPG-R5. These are currently amongst the most efficient emitters and you could probably have a setup pushing 300 lumens with greater runtime and more throw than with a P7.

Last edited:

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
So your saying the new rainier is around 4 1/2 times as Brite as the original. Well I will just have to buy one to see that for myself. Anyone own both? The old one still amazes me. I guess the new one would be incredable.
Thanks for the information

fyrstormer

Banned
another consideration is the Rainier is only single-mode, so unless you can regularly make use of a 350-lumen flashlight, you're better off with the dimmer one.

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
OH GOD YES
I want the 350 all the time. I just order one in stainless and cant wait for it to get hear. I really dont need flashlights in the house so when outside with a light I want as brite as possible.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH GOD YES
... I just order one in stainless and cant wait for it to get hear. I really dont need flashlights in the house so when outside with a light I want as brite as possible.

That's a lot of light. After you try out your new Rainier, please let us know how many minutes it takes before the Rainier becomes too hot to hold with your bare hand.

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
Going around with the German shepherd on cool summer or winter night's at a rustic park with known Coyotes, I want as brite as possible. With ON and OFF bursts and cool night's no light get's to hot. Know if turned on and set on a table in candle mode, Well thats a different story. The Lux III Brass Rainier I have know will burn you on a fresh cell.
My main walking light is a 3x 18650 tube with a KT2 turdo head and an 1185 bulb. my other is a 2x 18650 tube powering a P91. If used the way there ment to neither will get to hot. Although one night while working under the hood of my van the P91 got pretty hot and melted the plastic wrapper around the 18650 closest to the bulb.
Yes I know this new SS P7 Rainier will get HOT, thats to be expected

I have many Brass Peaks, This is my First Sainless Steel HELL I can't wait

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
another consideration is the Rainier is only single-mode, so unless you can regularly make use of a 350-lumen flashlight, you're better off with the dimmer one.

Honestly I have never really had any need for the multi-mode type off lights. Also the dimmer lights like the caribbean I want to like but it's just not for me. As a matter of fact I may put the Brass caribbean in the market place due to lack of use.
But thanks for the idea

Jeweler

Newly Enlightened
Sucks trying to read a map with a 350-lumen light, though. But, if you're using it as a spotlight, then I suppose that's not really a consideration.

Really the map I use is on my Iphone and it light's up and has a little dot that move's as I do. Also The Iphone has an app that turns it into a Flashlight (makes the screen all white)

I would say The Iphone Flashlight is as Brite as my ARC AAA.
So for dim light's I guess I am all set