M*g85 reflector hole size

Colorado Fatboy

Newly Enlightened
I noticed the reflectors from the Shoppe which are Modamag have an opening of .310 The reflectors from Lightedge or Litho123 are .377 opening.

Could somebody please explain why there are differences? I would assume this larger hole would allow for using a bigger bulb? I'm only interested in using the WA-1185.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
The reflectors with the smaller hole will collect more of the light from the bulb giving you a brighter torch. The downside is that the beam has a few more artifacts. This is not personal experience but information that i have gathered on CPF while i was building my mag85. And you are correct in saying about the ability to be able to use slightly bigger bulbs than the 1185 in the reflectors with the bigger hole size.

Last edited:

Colorado Fatboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I currently have the .310 ream and yes the 1185 fits nice in that size hole. I just ordered 2 other reflectors for some other projects and noticed they are the .377 ream

My major concern is losing output. I'm guessing that shouldn't be a problem since most of the reflectors seem to have the .377 ream. The ONLY ones I found with the smaller hole are the Modamag.