M4 vs M6 Big questions

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off i don't think that I would be able to afford the 10x. I may be in the market for one of these lights soon but I do have some questions.

First off, Are there other lamps that you can run in these lights besides the two that each one calls for?

Second, Can you run a M6 on three cells since they are in a series/parallel arrangement? If so, how? I assume that you would use the LA for the M3 in that case? not the p series but the mn series?

It seems that the m4 can do every thing that the m6 can do as far as lumen output but the m6 will be able to hold up the light with longer run time due to the extra series/parallel arrangement?

And last, what would be considered a fair new price for each light...

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you don't think you can afford the 10X, you may not be able to afford to feed your M4 or M6.
Atleast with the 10X, it's a rechargeable so no SF123As to buy.

Al

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea but Al, I can Get Duracell 223's online for $1.50-$2.00 a piece and split them out, put a layer of masking tape on them and use them to power either light... Yea, yea, I know, it is not the "purist" way of doing it but it does work and it cost effective...

Do you perfer your 10x vs the M6? I assume so for certian tasks... Have you had any trouble with the 10x battery as compared to the B9x packs? I know they have had some trouble with them... What would a new 10x battery handle cost?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Owning both the M4 and the M6 at one time or another, I never really cared for the M4 at all. Of all the SureFires I've owned, the M4 was to the least of my likings. It's length-to-roundness ratio made it feel to un-naturable for me to hold. I also didn't care for the looks.

Given the choice, I'd suggest you go with the M6 or the M3 + Turbo Head + N2 lamp assembly or the M3T directly (depending on your lighting needs). I currently have the M3 (and the ability to go into turbo configuration) and the M6. Each light serves a particular purpose for me.

I'm currently dealing with a guy now who has new M6 lights for $260. That's not bad considering they're $350 directly from SureFire.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an M6 but not an M4. I didn't really even consider the M4.

The web site only lists 225/350 lumen lamps for the M4 vs. the 250/500 lumen lamps for the M6. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't a 500 lumen lamp that will work in the M4 - someone like Al could probably tell you.

I hear you can run with half the batteries in the M6 but I also recall it isn't clear that it doesn't actually work against you.

How are you going to use the light?

From my perspective the M6 is the clear way to go - use the 250 lumen lamp if you are going to use it a lot so you get an hour of runtime, or use the 500 lumen lamp if you want it as a tactical light.

I guess if you have very small hands the M4 might be better as it is smaller, but I would think if that was an issue you might want the M3 instead so it would be more balanced*. The M6 feels good in my hand and I don't have particularly large hands.

-john

* I suspect if I got my wife a tactical light it would probably be an M3 variant.

Size15's

Flashaholic
This is threaded at SFDB too... I did a post there.

Right. 10X or M6?
It's different for applications.

10X is very impressive.

I've used it loads. I have not been made aware of any battery issues with the 10X.

10X is very impressive.

I'd use the M4 more if it was double barrelled rather then inline.

10X is very impressive.

Al
grin.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Al, I think he said he isn't considering the 10X. Just the M6 & M4....

-john

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with what Al said about the 10X.

Look at it this way:
I got my 10X for $300
I got my M6 for $250
I have ~80 DL123's I paid about $1/each for

I bought the 10X for 2 reasons:
Hi-Low beam capability (Low for 3 hours, Hi for 18 minutes)
Rechargeable.

The bottom line is if you use the M6 with Hola you will need 6 batteries every 15~20 minutes of use. In a mere 3 hours you will have used 54 batteries. A value of $54. The price difference between the M6 & 10X.

Don't get me wrong. I love the M6. But I sold my M6 to buy a 10X. The M6 looks and feels better than the 10X. I have only had my 10X 1 day and I can tell you that the LOLA is tighter & brighter than my E2 w/MN03 & the Hi-Beam is brighter & slightly wider beam than the M6. I don't know how long or well the battery holds up yet, but once I have cycled it a few times I will put it to the test. The 10X eliminates the need to carry 2 seperate, larger than EDC lights.

The only thing I don't really care for on the 10X is way the enire body turns for constant on & the fact that the beam(s) hot-spots aren't nice and round like the M6 & E2. They are oval and slightly odd shaped do to the merged reflectors used. But this is only an issue if you shine the light at the wall and stare at it.
wink.gif

The MN30 & MN32 look oval like the P60 & P90.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm always the token defender of the M4.

Now, if you have the money to pay for an M6, and to feed it 6 batteries at a pop, then that is clearly a better answer. Otherwise, I do really like the M4. For me, I wanted more like an hour run time before having to replace batteries, and I wanted >200 lumens. Sure, the M3 can get to 225 lumens, but you're replacing 3 batteries every 20 minutes or so, it's just not an economical option. And getting to >200 lumens was important to me, this light was more of a handheld spotlight, I wanted something with some punch.

The M4 isn't the most convenient form factor, but I feel that if you've already got a 6V light, then you've got the small 60-120 lumen EDC light covered, and you're probably looking at this light to be a super bright handheld spotlight. If you can't afford to run an M6, then the M4 fits in this role much better than the M3 -- the M4 has >200 lumens for around an hour.

Joe

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Luminance:
I don't know how well these work, but they could SERIOUSLY reduce the cost of running Surefire lights. I might just spring for a 500 lumen M6 myself!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">These have been tested and do not have nearly the capacity as lithiums do. Here is a review of them.

fasteddie

Enlightened
I've got Nascar's old M6 and I'd never give it back. I never considered the M4 because of the awkward ergonomics. Just looks out of balance to me. And the power of the M6, even on the LOLA is amazing. On the HOLA, its like having daylight on tap.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Ed_A:
I've got Nascar's old M6 and I'd never give it back. I never considered the M4 because of the awkward ergonomics. Just looks out of balance to me. And the power of the M6, even on the LOLA is amazing. On the HOLA, its like having daylight on tap.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Glad you're enjoying it Ed. I missed it so much, I just got 2-M6 bueties delivered Saturday. I got a good deal. Now that I've successfully tested Sean's 3-cell configuration for the M6, it makes it even more of a great light.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall correctly over on the SureFire DB site about a year ago (maybe longer), one member (BA) did some calculations regarding light output, runtime, and battery usage, and he concluded that the M4 was the most "efficient" non-rechargeable SF light. My memory is increasingly faulty however, so anyone interested should hop on over and search the SFDB.

I have both the M6 and M4, and like BOTH lights. Can't beat the M6 for sheer power, but the M4 is nice, too, and don't underestimate the power of the 350 lumen bulb. I also like the looks of the M4 with the M3 head (although I've never made the effort to actually work on the bulb/battery combination to make it a working light).

Byron Walter

Enlightened
I went the M4 Route for the same reasons as Joe & Sean. While the body of the M4 is long by SF standards, it is still very compact. I've run it with the >200 lumen lamp side by side with the nearly 3 times more massive Mag Recharger. The M4 puts out more light which means it is bright enough for me. If you look at trade offs between lumens, batteries, and run time the M4 looks pretty good. Happy huntin'

Byron

Latest posts