Mag Lite Conversion, 2 'D' Cell to 3 'C' Cell, with Luxeon Star

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag Lite Conversion, 2 \'D\' Cell to 3 \'C\' Cell, with Luxeon Star

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dat2zip:
How about MAG2D3C mod?
grin.gif

or just R2D3, or C3PO for short. (Like star Wars R2D2).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is 'Light Saber' or 'Photonic Blaster' taken? How about 'The ElektroLuminator' ?

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

shocked.gif

Uh oh! Where's this all going to go? The super duper ultra magnum infinity plasmic blaster?
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Luxeon.Mag.3C.1.jpg

Wayne
shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

All right! More reasons to spend even more money on flashlights! You guys are going to get me in trouble with my SO.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!!!
I just got your 2-D to 3-C Mag conversion and HOLY CRAP it just smokes every other LED light away!! It even blows the Trek 6000 EX60 away!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Sorry Lambda, but your Illuminator just got smoked - big time - by Elektrolumen's Mag Lite mod. And I didn't think it was even possible to get an LS to burn any brighter than the Illuminator.. boy was I wrong!!

Are you SURE you didn't sneak one of those new 5-watt Luxeons in this light saber?!?!?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious if this light was set up using 1 or 2 ohms resistance?

I just ordered 4 LS/o's from ARC yesterday!! WooHoo! I just gots to build one a these
cool.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
shocked.gif

Uh oh! Where's this all going to go? The super duper ultra magnum infinity plasmic blaster?
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Wayne
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, eventually we'll end up with nuclear powered plasma lights, but till then, these simple LED devices will have to entertain us.

And Wayne, I like the "ElektroLuminator" or perhaps "Elect3C2Dinator"??

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:

the Lambda Ultra Illuminator.
ultra1.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, okay I'll take one a them Ultra Illuminators too, then...damn, in the pic it looks as bright-white as the LX! That a camera trick or sumthin'?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

No tricks, order of magnitude brighter.

You might call it the first "tactical" LED flashlight. Stands up to the regular LX fairly well........

Edited: I'm sorry if you thought it was the AA light, it's the CR123 powered LX in this new picture; up against the regular incandescent LX.

sl8.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
No tricks, order of magnitude brighter.

You might call it the first "tactical" LED flashlight. Stands up to the regular LX fairly well........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I might as well post this since someone else is bound to --

1) temps?
2) runtime?
3) reliability?
4) WHEN???

(heh heh)

DonL

Enlightened

Wayne, I suggest calling them the "Elektro-Mag", and some moniker regarding the cell or resistance or some other such designation that can tell what the actual conversion is.

PS. I'll drop an e-mail tommorow concerning such a project.
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

OK, The title must be defended...

That means I'm going to have to send you the Lambda Ultra Illuminator.

Better watch your mail box telephony
[/IMG]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh oh!!
This thing is bright too, looks like we're going to have a good old fashioned photonics war here pretty soon. :-O

Just out of curiosity, I took the "old style" lens off the Elektrolumens mod, and took apart my HD amber "Toylet" LS mod and tried its "new style" lens on this cannon. Interestingly enough, this DIMS the Elektrolumens mod even though it narrows the beam, and makes it fair competition for the Lambda Illuminator. But it DIMS!! Putting the "old style" lens back on brightens it up substantially. Apparently, the new lens is optimized only for the high dome parts, not the batwings.
tongue.gif
confused.gif
blush.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Oh oh!!
This thing is bright too, looks like we're going to have a good old fashioned photonics war here pretty soon. :-O

Just out of curiosity, I took the "old style" lens off the Elektrolumens mod, and took apart my HD amber "Toylet" LS mod and tried its "new style" lens on this cannon. Interestingly enough, this DIMS the Elektrolumens mod even though it narrows the beam, and makes it fair competition for the Lambda Illuminator. But it DIMS!! Putting the "old style" lens back on brightens it up substantially. Apparently, the new lens is optimized only for the high dome parts, not the batwings.
tongue.gif
confused.gif
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow,
shocked.gif
that's very interesting! Glad you did that test. I was going to ask you to try it.
grin.gif

Wayne

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

elek1.jpg

Versus the Trek 6000 EX60.
Sorry about the misspelling. :-/

elek2.jpg

Versus the Arc-LS with 123 pack.

elek3.jpg

Versus the Lambda Illuminator.

The pee-green color in these pictures is badly exxagerated. My "spare" camera seems to have a thing for it.
wink.gif

I'll try to run it through the ProMetic later tonight. I can't take a "bare" measurement because I broke my ruler. The ProMetric can do the math for the longer test distance (the system is already mounted at 24"), I cannot.
smile.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

All that from a single LS!?!?!?!?

Driven at what spec?

YC

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Something else I noticed about the Mag mod. You can feel HEAT in the beam of light!!
Anybody that has one of these, hold the business end close to - but not touching your lips, and turn it on and off. Fell that? I can't imagine the LED is actually radiating (through electron/hole recombination) at those wavelengths; so it must be radiant heat from the LED's chip itself.
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
blush.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW!!
shocked.gif

Some damn impressive output from the LS!

To the gentlemen who put together these solid state mutants:

How long can the LS keep it up? Life must be shortened up a ton at that brightness.

Keep up the great work!!

Aloha

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigHonu:
WOW!!
shocked.gif

Some damn impressive output from the LS!

To the gentlemen who put together these solid state mutants:

How long can the LS keep it up? Life must be shortened up a ton at that brightness.

Keep up the great work!!

Aloha
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey BigH,

Wayne kindly made me one, and after 72 hours I could still walk around in the backyard with it, illuminate stuff outside to read (like a thermometer), and finally I just gave up and turned it off. Put new batteries in and man it's bright all over again!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:

Hey BigH,

Wayne kindly made me one, and after 72 hours I could still walk around in the backyard with it, illuminate stuff outside to read (like a thermometer), and finally I just gave up and turned it off. Put new batteries in and man it's bright all over again!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Bulk,

Thanks for the rundown on the runtime. 72 hours...WOW!

I should have phrased the question differently, but was trying to ask what the projected life of the LED would be when it is overdriven like that.

BTW, if you are still looking to pick up the lithium AAs, Longs has them in the camera department, and I THINK Walmart has them too. They run about $10 for 4. Not bad.

Hope your place is ok after all of the rain the past couple of days.

Aloha

D

**DONOTDELETE**

BigHonu,

Thanks for the tip about Longs, I rarely go into the camera section but I guess I have a good reason now. My place was okay after the rain, but I heard that work was hell (but I've been off the past three days!)...and I hope everything's alright with you after that deluge.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Judging from Craig's pics, to see Wayne's ElektroLumen DD Blaster (DirectDrive) outshine the vaunted Arc-LS, Lambda Illuminator, and now even the 60-LED Trek 6000 EX60, is truly impressive -- and even a little frightening...

Where will this all end?

When the white 5-watt Luxeons become available, could this spell the end of the incandescent's tactical light dominance as we know it? The LS mods now are all based on just a single-watt unit!

We certainly are living in interesting times, and I for one feel truly blessed...

Mr. Blue

Enlightened

Craig...do you see the LED lead shadows in your Eletromag? I have one, it is a super light, but the lead shadows are there.