Mag Lite Conversion, 2 'D' Cell to 3 'C' Cell, with Luxeon Star

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag Lite Conversion, 2 \'D\' Cell to 3 \'C\' Cell, with Luxeon Star

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChrisM:
ALRIGHT! Sounds quite good. What are the prices for the various models and how long will it take you to modify them once you receive the check?

Now then, could you go over the differences in the various overdriven models? Which one is the best balance of power and battery life?

Also, I have read that due to the way the human eye percieves color, that a blue LED appears brighter than a white one. Is this true? What about turquoise? Is white the only color LED that preserves color vision while maintaining the best brightness? thanks and I can't wait for the spouse to OK my next purchase because it will be from you!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm, go over it again, okay. You can get a 3 'D' cell, a 2 'D' cell with 3 'C' cell batteries, sometimes if I happen to be making an order for more flashlights (just did), and you catch me just before I make the order, you can get a 3 'C' cell (more work for me on this one).

You can get them direct drive, or you can have me add 1 ohm resistance. I'm sort of leaning to making them all direct drive as the battery life is still excellent. Seems like 24 hours of continuous brightness for the 3 'C' and 48 for the bigger 3 'D'. Mr Bulk got 71 hours continuous light and it still produced useable light.

As far as color goes, green is the color our eyes percieve the best. I have a green one, things look wierd, but it seems so bright, partly because my eyes pick up the gree so well. I prefer white myself, but green is pretty neat. I've heard we percieve blue quite well.

For night vision, I think red is the best, but not sure. Green seems to be okay. Pilots I think use red, because it least affects night vision. Red is in the upper region of the light spectrum we see, and doesn't affect the way our pupils react to light.

For pricing check out my website, and go to the flashlights for sale page. I also have a product testimonials page, with some comments from those who have purchased products from me.

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beam Comparisons
I was wondering if you've done any beam comparisons between your Mag Lite mod and the Inova X5, Night Buster 8x and a SureFire G2.

Does anyone else have any comparisons between these flashlights?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a comparison I did earlier against my Inova X5.

3dluxeonvsinovax5_640.jpg

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dat2zip:
Here is a comparison I did earlier against my Inova X5.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which one is which? From how far away?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChrisM:
Which one is which? From how far away?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one on the left is the weaker Inova. The one on right is the Elektro Lumens 'Blaster'.

Wayne

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to Craigs review he measured peak light intensity at 1178 CD and Average 579 Cd over ~12 degrees.

Question: What is the conversion to Lumens from Cd or vise versa. I know I read this somewhere.

I'm not sure anyone has measured the light output VS current. I'm wondering if the "Blaster" running about 4 times the normal has 4 times the light output.

Just for grins the "Blaster" is running 3.6V @ 1.6A on the one unit I measured which means the LS on the one unit I have is running 5.76W. Do we already have a 5W equivalent light? I'm would think the 5W with the larger die would be more efficient.

Another thing I think should be mentioned is that as far as I can tell from what I've read is that the 5W emitter is identically the same size physically including the slug are on the bottom. So, the 5W and the 1W are nearly identical. That said, (IMHO) I would not be worried about overdrivng the 1W LS to 5W since the 5W is in the same package. As Elektrolumens and others have pointed out that properly heat sinked the emitter does not seem to get too warm if done correctly. So (IMHO) the 1W in overdrive should last quite some time unless there is some other failure mechanism I'm overlooking.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dat2zip:
According to Craigs review he measured peak light intensity at 1178 CD and Average 579 Cd over ~12 degrees.

Question: What is the conversion to Lumens from Cd or vise versa. I know I read this somewhere.

I'm not sure anyone has measured the light output VS current. I'm wondering if the "Blaster" running about 4 times the normal has 4 times the light output.

Just for grins the "Blaster" is running 3.6V @ 1.6A on the one unit I measured which means the LS on the one unit I have is running 5.76W. Do we already have a 5W equivalent light? I'm would think the 5W with the larger die would be more efficient.

Another thing I think should be mentioned is that as far as I can tell from what I've read is that the 5W emitter is identically the same size physically including the slug are on the bottom. So, the 5W and the 1W are nearly identical. That said, (IMHO) I would not be worried about overdrivng the 1W LS to 5W since the 5W is in the same package. As Elektrolumens and others have pointed out that properly heat sinked the emitter does not seem to get too warm if done correctly. So (IMHO) the 1W in overdrive should last quite some time unless there is some other failure mechanism I'm overlooking.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello dat2zip,

I have read that it is really hard to compare Lumens to Candella. Lumens, if I remember correctly, is a measurement of total light being emitted, while candellas measures the hottest spot. A light with more lumens than another light might measure less in candella, because it has a hotter spot in the middle. (Wow, I hope I didn't get that backwards.)

You have a Luxeon that at 3.6 volts is taking 1.6 amps. If you measure another one, it might be 1.1, or even 750mA. As you know, they are inconsistent.

You might be correct at the wattage we're running. Volts X amperage = watts, right?

I wonder how much brighter the new 5 watter will be than the current maximumly overdiven Luxeon is? That is, until we overdrive the 5 watt to . . .

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com