Maglite drop in question

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, a friend of mine was here the other day with his 3D maglite which wasn't even close to some of my lights, not even in throw and I was wondering, what are my options for a drop in in the low cost region and how much difference would there be between his original light and the drop in, in light output?

How do they do on throw compared to the original AND, more importantly, is it really a drop in or do you have to do anything to them?

Also, what's the lowest price light that will out throw his light and are there any that'll take more normal batteries like AA's or AAA's or something that I can get in Ni-mh or something rechargeable?

Thanks

George

txgp17

Enlightened
I would consider this low cost, at $65. Malkoff Drop-In
Maglite gives a lifetime warranty on the light.
Gene Malkoff has a history of fixing any product he makes if it fails for virtually any reason. (I'm read in these forums, and experienced it personally).

Buy once, cry once.

Arnulf

Enlightened
I just got my Terralux TLE-6EXB maglite upgrade bulbs from MattK today and installed them....I'm impressed. :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, a friend of mine was here the other day with his 3D maglite which wasn't even close to some of my lights, not even in throw and I was wondering, what are my options for a drop in in the low cost region and how much difference would there be between his original light and the drop in, in light output?

How do they do on throw compared to the original AND, more importantly, is it really a drop in or do you have to do anything to them?

Also, what's the lowest price light that will out throw his light and are there any that'll take more normal batteries like AA's or AAA's or something that I can get in Ni-mh or something rechargeable?

Thanks

George
The old MagLED drop-in will give you around 60 lumens on the old Luxeon I emitter. If you can find them (they're discontinued) they're around $20 and will easily triple the run time you get from a set of new D cells. The Xenon bulb will probably give you around 30 lumens. If you swap the emitter with a SSC P4 U-bin you'll get around 100 lumens. I have not tried any of the Terralux drop-ins.

For a AA battery light you might try a Mini-MagLED with the Rebel emitter that is currently available. This little light sells normally for $22 but were on sale recently for as low as $10 and it produces around 60 lumens.

The Quark MiNi AA produces 90 lumens on high but it is not a thrower. It's $40.

Did you see this thread?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Damn PCC, that link you sent sure has a lot of info on it.

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, all these reviews led me to this light and although it's more than I really wanted to spend, I think he might really get good use of it. Can someone estimate the difference in throw AND output from his 3D original maglite? If the lumen difference is what you guys say, the difference should be huge but what about throw?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-v11-mrv-sk.html