Magnetic light

D

Drundel

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
38
Location
Friendswood, TX/Prudhoe Bay, AK
Guys I'm trying to find a magnetic light that I can stick to the top of my cooktop (range). There is no light there and its sucks to cook with. A battery powered light would be great up there.

Any ideas?

Thanks
 
M

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
161
TerraLUX TriStar - 2.5 Watt LED Magnetic Flashlight at Battery Junction for about 9 dollars looks interesting, but might not be bright enough... don't know.
 
D

DaveG

Enlightened
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
871
TerraLUX TriStar - 2.5 Watt LED Magnetic Flashlight at Battery Junction for about 9 dollars looks interesting, but might not be bright enough... don't know.
Its not a bad light for the price I have one. Or try the round puck type led lights.I took a magnet and glued it on the back of one for in the car use.
 
Gunner12

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
10,063
Location
Bay Area, CA
Would you mind if you made something?

I was thinking something like a Cree Q5, heatsink, a few D batteries and a suitable driver.

Then you should be able to get both output and runtime.
 
Sigman

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Messages
10,122
Location
"The 49th State"
Maybe one of Wits' End CPF Safe(PAL)-Lights does the trick for you.
Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto!!!!! Long runtime, nice flood, it'll be there for a durable power outage light...

Hmmm, I wonder how the heat will affect a light there though? I know it can get pretty warm & humid above our range. Grease accumulation possibly as well...
 
S

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
112
Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto!!!!! Long runtime, nice flood, it'll be there for a durable power outage light...

Hmmm, I wonder how the heat will affect a light there though? I know it can get pretty warm & humid above our range. Grease accumulation possibly as well...

I love that light. I think every house should have a dozen of them, or so.

One thing I have found with mine thought, the magnet will come off the clip. Several of mine were stuck to the refrigerator, and when pulled off for use by the kids, the magnet stays on the fridge---light goes with kids. I assume some super glue might do the trick.
 
Nubo

Nubo

Enlightened
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
461
a couple of things come to mind

1 - color rendition is very important for cooking. This argues for an incandescent light.

2 - I'm assuming there is other light in the room, just not enough task light at the stove. I think it may take considerably more "punch" to make a difference here, as opposed to lighting up a darkened space. The ambient light is going to wash out a low-power light.

3 - probably want very floody.

Something like an ROP-low, with frosted bulb and a flood reflector. Check Reflectalite.com GH24F for a good, frosted, 10W halogen bulb for this.



But as much as I like flashlights, you'd probably do well to eventually wire up some permanent lighting at that location. ;)
 
Top