• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Malkoff Devices RED, AMBER, or GREEN M61 LL Dropin Group Buy!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to also stress, I don't say this in any way trying to prevent or suggest people not be picky- I think there is a LOT of value in having specific and enthusiastic opinions especially from my perspective, the more of that I get, the better this becomes for everyone.

archimedes

Flashaholic
To me, 50 lumens of red output is ... a ton

It is also worth considering the luminosity function of visual perception, ie output is weighted by the sensitivity of human vision at differing wavelengths.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question dot!
Red has different driver than others do due to low Vf.
Therefire i believe Gene is using different kind of electronics.
Long story short i would go with what Gene is using now for colored LEDs. Red is least visibleof all colors mentioned here.

Sent from Tapatalk

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must add that many small lights i have with Hyper red are reaching 50lm without a problem and i'm talking about AAA and AA lights.
Having that massive brass heatsink (M61) and not using it for full potential is kinda waste of power if you ask me.
But at the end i'd go with whatever group decide.
EDUT: not whatever exactly, if lower than L then i'm out

Sent from Tapatalk

archimedes

Flashaholic
I must add that many small lights i have with Hyper red are reaching 50lm without a problem and i'm talking about AAA and AA lights....

EDIT: not whatever exactly, if lower than L then i'm out

Speaking solely for myself, I would have no use for red output of anywhere near 50 lumens.

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened
Not meant to take this M61 thread off topic, might be subject of a different Group Buy.
(I put the interest question in the Malkoff forum let's please carry on there, Thanks and sorry.)
Russ

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

archimedes

Flashaholic
More reading fellas. I didn't have proper argument previously about regular or L's for this GB.
Reading Hogo's post about monochromatic emitters and how Henry set outputs i realized that we need for each color different driver[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] ....

Yes, I had mentioned both the Vf and luminosity differences earlier.

When comparing color outputs, often this is done with radiant flux instead of luminous flux for that very reason.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow lots to consider here, thank you ID, very valid points. Thank you also for that link, I too failed to keep in mind VF, this will definitely have to be a conversation with Gene.

I think we are realistically talking about full output or a L for the M61 red. Amber preference seems to be for a LL or a LLL.

M361 is a thought, it adds cost and reduces voltage range which I think is a large loss.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking to suggest Red as regular or L, Amber as LL or maybe even 3L while Green 3L or even maybe 4L.
Definetly maker needs to enlighten us.

And i wouldn't consider M361 for this role after all. It's complicated even without it

Sent from Tapatalk

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking to suggest Red as regular or L, Amber as LL or maybe even 3L while Green 3L or even maybe 4L.
Definetly maker needs to enlighten us.

And i wouldn't consider M361 for this role after all. It's complicated even without it

Sent from Tapatalk

My tendencies are similar, except I was thinking if Green was desired, it would be for higher output as my only experience with green light has been for hunting use. Then you'd get a high and a low, but given how sensitive our eyes are too it, there is good call for the LLL/L too..... Slight digression though as nobody seems interested in green yet. I think I'm just going to use that to get some of the Facetube and 4eddit users into the buy.....