Malkoff stands behind their products 100% solid American

hotlight

Enlightened
Re: Disappointment with Malkoff quality of M61s

I've only ordered direct from MD.... everything has been sterile and flawless.
(EDIT: every MD product I've bought brand new has been directly thru MD... I've bought used MD stuff from members with almost zero hesitation)

Were these stickered M61 or hand engraved?

As far as the whole "new American way" thing-
some people accept it and shut up, some people call the owner/company because the phone # is actually listed on their website and they know when they bought that product they were paying for top notch CS and product, and some people complain on forums.
(EDIT: complaining/raising awareness can be a good thing if quality is in fact slipping.... for all I know it is.. but a recent order I received tells me otherwise at least in my case)

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened

Good point Hotlight , I just got owned.

Thank you Gene.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

I have received a M61 from Malkoff headquarters with a smudge on the flat part of the orange peel, not part of the conical reflector. Is it annoying? A lil, but these smudges will happen as soon as you install a lens kit in a MD2 head. I have put prints on plenty of reflectors, while they are a eye sore, I haven't noticed any affect on the beams.

Gene and Cathy are great folks who stand by their products, if you aren't satisfied, just send it back. ;)

FWIW, my LunaSol from straight from McGizmo came with Dons DNA on the flats of that reflector too. :D

PSM and Gene,

Try a product called ROR. We use this for photographic lenses, this, and a safe lint free tissue, light, I mean light presser, and that should clean your reflector, and lens. Just be careful. You can even use ROR on the camera sensor cleansing swabs to clean your flashlight reflectors. B&H has ROR, or any real professional camera store. There are also some wonderful brushes too.

Something I have on my photo service bench in our studio's camera and lens tech. center in the sound stage on our high-tech, spacious photo complex and compound, is a darkroom compressor. These were used in the old wet darkrooms, you know in the stone age, 12 years ago.

However, they are filtered, and safe for blowing air on anything; not like the auto or machine shop compressors that develop rust, and take in dirt from the shops ambient air, you should be able to find one cheap, and eliminate all your Co 2 cans, which are a hassle.

We have some money invested in our lights, and it is worth keeping them in good condition.

Best,

RL

*NOTICE: This is for cleaning a smudge on a reflector or lens on flashlights, I will not get into any camera CCD cleaning operations here. I can teach it, but this is not the place, and it can be tricky. We now only give any photo instruction privately.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

PSM,

Try a product called ROR. We use this for photographic lenses, and a safe lint free tisue, light, I mean light presser, and that should clean your lens. Just be careful. You can even use ROR on the camera sensor cleaners to clean your flashlight reflectors. B&H has ROR, or any real professional
camera store.

*NOTICE: This is for cleaning a smudge on a reflector or lens on flashlights, I will not get into any camera CCD cleaning operations here. I can teach it, but this is not the place, and it can be tricky.

What you suggest would be alright for cleaning a lens but my advice has always been, whatever's on the reflector just leave it alone, 99% of the time you will just end up making it worse, no matter what type of cloth or tissue is used. I know I would never recommend any type of solvent on a reflector though, no matter how delicate it is. If someone HAS to touch or wipe a reflector for whatever reason, then if you're going to do it I suggest a cotton ball or a q-tip that has plenty of fluff and cotton on end, and try not to wipe in a circular motion. Experience and methods used to clean an optical surface like a camera or binocular lens really doesn't apply to a flashlight reflector that has a texured surface, two completly different surfaces, one that's meant to be cleaned, the other isn't meant to be touched.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

What you suggest would be alright for cleaning a lens but my advice has always been, whatever's on the reflector just leave it alone, 99% of the time you will just end up making it worse, no matter what type of cloth or tissue is used. I know I would never recommend any type of solvent on a reflector though, no matter how delicate it is. If someone HAS to touch or wipe a reflector for whatever reason, then if you're going to do it I suggest a cotton ball or a q-tip that has plenty of fluff and cotton on end, and try not to wipe in a circular motion.

I agree to a point...

If it is a small mark, it may be best to leave it, however a large smudge,or deposit could produce an artifact. I would not use the household Q-Tips, there are special ones made for these kind of applications, and many things that are delicate need to be cleaned, and the reflectors we use, some, not all are tougher than you think. I can tell you that anyone who has worked with photo negatives, and printed with a scratched Neg., will be an expert on this type of situation.

A CCD is way more difficult than a reflector, but you should be very careful - nonetheless. Do you really want to show someone your $500.00 custom-do-it-all-state-of-the-art light with a dreadful smudge on the lens?

It can be done, just be careful. I offer no guarantee, however, I have done it. This is a judgement call on the part of the owner.

Read my detailed instructions on this here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ight-Lens-Care

FLASHLIGHT LENS CARE - By Redled

From Ned Redway, Redway Photo Office -- PALM DESERT, CALIFORNIA

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened

Thanx for the help guys but This isnt dust on the reflector it is circular scratches and flaws in the OP finish way down near the led.

I sent Gene an email , I am partially deaf it's easier for me that way. I should have contacted him first but I didnt want to impose or push things overboard if I was out of line

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Purelite,

That's OK, Chief...these are frustrating times, for everyone. Malkoff is a good small business, and they will take care of you. I am a small business owner, and I take care of my customers. It is waht a good owner does.

In the field I work in there is a new frudtration everyday. Anyway, your light will be like new soon.

Best wishes,

RL

precisionworks

Flashaholic

I've owned nearly a dozen Malkoff's, from the earliest M60, through the M60 MC-E, L and LL versions, and now the M61 that's part of my C2 security system. One was not perfect (and that was when Gene & Cathy were building them) but Gene replaced it immediately.

I just dont see how you can be so accepting of a $400 light having DNA all over it? There is nothing wrong with spending that kind of money for something you want and see the value in. There is something wrong with those who take that money and return a product with flaws to you the buyer.
I own and use a few McGizmo's. Don clearly states this in his sales thread:

There are levels of precision and finish which will always show irregularities and flaws. It has been my practice to specify tolerance levels in the parts I have machined such that form and function are achieved and held to dependable and expected performance and outcome. At an additional premium, I could strive for higher levels in finish and uniformity of the surface but I have elected not to increase the costs of these lights accordingly. In most if not all cases, tooling marks will be evident and the surfaces will not be free of blemishes or unique markings. Each light will be delivered with its own unique character mark. Should you find this not to be the case, feel free to impart your own mark to the light or return it and I will be happy to imprint it with an obvious and unique blemish or ding for you. These lights are expensive but that expense is not due to any attempt or claim of show case cosmetics or collectability. These lights are intended for use and abuse but it is ultimately for the user to decide.

My McG's are user lights, or EDC work lights. They get beaten & banged & dropped onto concrete. If I have to belly crawl under a piece of heavy equipment to get to the broken part that needs welding, the McG's get a little extra abrasion. Smudged reflector ... I'm just happy as long as the lights turn on.

Gene sells a product that retails for $75-$125 (for the most part). I'm certain he could do better for $750-$1250.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a bag full of Malkoff products. I bought the M61 about a month ago. No problems. I just looked at the reflector. Perfect. I've never had an issue with a Malkoff product. Gene makes great lumens! He has a great reputation for fixing problems. If you send it back, he'll send you a good one.

Darvis

Enlightened

Not much, if anything to add here outside of that I own close to 20 Malkoff drop-ins and all were received in perfect condition. Not disputing your experience at all, it just appears to be an unfortunate anomoly that can happen with any product. The key, and the reason why so many folks love Malkoffs outside of the great lights they are is because of what you saw happen in this thread- The man himself keyed in and assured you of his commitment to resolving your issue. It's why folks are always so eager to recommend a light from Gene, or Henry at HDS, or Don... same personal attention to detail.

I'm not sure the pristine thing is for me, I kind of don't mind character when something is boutique in nature, like an Atwood or a Bark River, etc. I personally expect a few flaws, a few prints... helps me envision a Peter or a Don handling the tool while giving it a final once-over. As long as it works as designed and just plain always works, I'm cool.

Glad you shared this experience Purelite, I think it's key for all of us to hear the good and the bad and to see how the makers live up to their warrantees from time to time.

That said; don't be getting fingerprints on the dial of my Sumo!!!

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think willingness to accept defects in certain high cost products is ridiculous, and could possibly lower the standard's for certain manufacturers in certain cases."Why would I go the extra mile to make this perfect when the customers have a history of accepting it regardless and being happy" the manufacturer says to themself. We the customers who are paying premiums have to keep our standards high for such costly items. Part of the premium you pay is to be rest assured you won't have to deal with defects that cheaper products suffer from. Although I highly doubt Gene Malkoff had anything to do with the condition of the malkoff the op received, I believe that a person paying over $70 for a simple LED dropin should expect that item to be near flawless. The argument "it's a tool, would you complain about a scratch on a hammer?" doesn't apply to high end costly flashlights and their components IMO. I'm sure there are people out there who couldn't care less if their new $15,000 rolex had a smudge on the inside of the lens, I know I'm not one of them, I would expect better.

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened

Update: After speaking with Gene Malkoff directly and reading everyones responses here I can truly 100% say Malkoff devices stands behind their products completely . I have never had a fast direct response from the actual owner/head of a company and it is truly amazing in this day and age. I would not hesitate to buy another Malkoff Devices product . The products are and the brand are worth every penny . I absolutely love supporting a Made In America business like this

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am Singaporean and I too support American businesses.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Update: After speaking with Gene Malkoff directly and reading everyones responses here I can truly 100% say Malkoff devices stands behind their products completely . I have never had a fast direct response from the actual owner/head of a company and it is truly amazing in this day and age. I would not hesitate to buy another Malkoff Devices product . The products are and the brand are worth every penny . I absolutely love supporting a Made In America business like this

I like the new thread title, too ! :)

skyugo

Newly Enlightened
love my m60LF. just top notch. people comment about the brightness whenever i whip out my beat up old surefire.

Latest posts