Malkoff Want To Sells- too many on the Forum?

LRJ88

Enlightened
From what I understand, international pkg insurance /and/ the related requisite shipping upgrade method, seems to be the dealbreaker as far as the cost that domestic businesses have to recoup on a sale ?

I have sold & shipped the occasional used flashlight part (including Malkoff dropins) to Europe etc, and the shipping is quite inexpensive - if it is shipped 'cheapest method' without insurance. Both buyer and seller are usually comfortable with the arrangement, as this is a pretty good community here. However, I'd expect that many of our businesses would be uncomfortable with the ad-hoc arrangements that our buyers & sellers do.

It's pretty much that, and a lot of the time if you see something here it's higher than the MSRP price by 10-20% as well so many times it's cheaper to just buy it at the actual sale price abroad and cough up the customs and tax fees but saving on the shipping.

Even with some tracked shipping it can be less expensive than the option Malkoff uses, but i can well understand the decision too with so many people being a bit iffy and trying to cheat by saying they haven't received the product. I've had the poor luck of dealing with the Swedish postal system, they've often delivered my mail to another person in the village and there's been cases where i've gotten letters a month later and them looking like they've taken a long trip on the floor of a sorting centre.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The method Gene uses to ship is nearly $40 with $50 insurance. So for a drop in that's enough. But add more insurance and the cost goes up. Like Kestrel said, the second hand market here is usually folks who trust each other due to reputation of honest sellers, so we use less cost ways to mail items over seas.

wweiss

Enlightened
These are all wise points I didn't think of when I asked the question. Makes a lot of sense and answers my initial question well.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying on the WTS is the only way I've been able to amass the twenty or so lights that I have.
As others have said, adding the Carriage and Import Duty (this varies according to value) makes buying new a very expensive option.
I've had nothinng but good experiences buying from the people kind enough to send used lights over the Pond.
P

wweiss

Enlightened
I was always wondering how a lot of folks had so much more disposable income than me to afford many high quality lights from the top makers. The answer makes me a little feel better now.

nbp

Flashaholic
Instead of buying $6 Starbucks coffees or going out to lunch everyday, I pack a lunch and buy flashlights. Haha

nbp

Flashaholic
Lol, well maybe not THAT much but it does add up. People spend money on what they like, whether it be food, drinks, clothes, vacations, golf clubs, sports memorabilia, flashlights etc...

LRJ88

Enlightened
Lol, well maybe not THAT much but it does add up. People spend money on what they like, whether it be food, drinks, clothes, vacations, golf clubs, sports memorabilia, flashlights etc...

And at the end of the day if you spend $90 on something that you at any point can get $90 back for and that will last you 30+ years, it isn't exactly a big sum to pay compared to paying $20 over and over again for something like a regular (name your store) brand that gets sold under the premise of 50,000 lumen and an average life span of a month if you actually use it.