Maratac AAA Q5

Status
Not open for further replies.

torpeau

Newly Enlightened
Well I didn't realize how profitable shipping could be until I saw multiple sellers of similar items on ebay charging widely varying rates for similar distances. Then I understood that it was a tactic aimed at the gullible consumer: lower the cost of your item a bit in comparison to similar items so it looks like a good deal, yet charge more in shipping so you get the same or more profit in the end.

1. Depending on their volume, companies negotiate what they actually pay UPS and FedEx. I doubt that they can negotiate w/ the USPS.

2. Product pricing and shipping charges are all part of marketing. High shipping charges encourages the purchase of more than one Maratac..

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's only a ripoff if you are paying for the ups and it's delivered some other way.
in the ups cost there is real tracking of the shipment and it's has a minimum $100 insured(if i remember correctly) which can alleviate any potential shipping headaches on both ends.
personally i prefer the usps first class which is cheaper on me and them but there is always that risk.

SpinDrift

Banned
SpinDrift, Just to be clear I only bought the light after considering the total price. For me it was a simple process. I have had a few items that I had been planning on buying from county comm for a while but held off because I felt I could get a better deal if I waited until I needed a few more items in order to offset the shipping costs. I do however think people are going a little overboard by calling it a rip-off. It is one type of shipping (one of my least favorite types) and it has it's advantages and disadvantages. For example higher shipping cost probably leads to fewer but larger orders. This would likely make for less work on their end (ie receiving one order for 5 items instead of five separate orders). I guess I just feel like some people are inferring that county comm is trying to rip people off and I've always had good luck with them and have found them to be an honest seller. Keep in mind when you get free shipping (my favorite) that is marketing as well. Is it a rip-off when I get free shipping from 4-sevens (awesome seller) but some else that lives further away pays the same price? In the end the only thing that has really hurt my feelings is that you inferred that I shop at Best Buy. How rude!:poke:

Lol, I apologize! I guess I got ticked off at the "obsessed" comment. It was before my coffee too...:D No hard feelings I hope. :thumbsup:

I too ordered a few other things to try to offset the shipping price, things that I would of gotten elsewhere however with cheaper shipping.

But assuming it's less work on their end and not a rip off contradicts. If it's less work to ship this way, then it costs them less for employee pay/time! So where's our savings?

As for the 4 Sevens example, I think it's a faulty analogy but I don't have time to go into that now. :shrug:

1. Depending on their volume, companies negotiate what they actually pay UPS and FedEx. I doubt that they can negotiate w/ the USPS.

2. Product pricing and shipping charges are all part of marketing. High shipping charges encourages the purchase of more than one Maratac..

1. Why could they not negotiate with the USPS? :shrug: I understand that it is a "legal" monopoly, but are prices still fixed?

In any case, $8 is excessive and if County Comm is seriously asking that price of us because it is that costly to them to ship items then they are incompetent and/or pushovers and are themselves getting ripped off. I don't see why we have to pay for their mistakes/failures.

2. Or none at all, as I almost didn't get this and wouldn't if I wasn't a LED newbie and had a small AAA light already. I know others have not bought one due to the ridiculous shipping price...not everyone is a flashaholic! :grin2:

it's only a ripoff if you are paying for the ups and it's delivered some other way.
in the ups cost there is real tracking of the shipment and it's has a minimum $100 insured(if i remember correctly) which can alleviate any potential shipping headaches on both ends.
personally i prefer the usps first class which is cheaper on me and them but there is always that risk.

I still say it's a rip off. $8 shipping on a tiny flashlight that cost $22? No way. :rolleyes: If I could get this flashlight somewhere else I would, but I can't. That's what I do when ebay sellers have excessive shipping costs, I just wait for another similar item that has a reasonable shipping rate and save at least $10 and sometimes as much as $50 or more (I buy and fix up vintage--and thus heavy!--audio gear :cool:).

USPS does have real tracking too, I get it all the time on my books (if the seller chooses). I don't really care anyway, a delivery date is all that matters. My flashlight is somewhere in California right now, and there's 2 whole updates since it went into the system on 7/27--both ON 7/27. Well that's great, it's not here, this is no help, and probably, hopefully, wrong and needs to be updated by now in any case. It will be here on Fri., most likely after 5 p.m. (if it was USPS it would be here with the mail by 1 p.m., and probably would of already been here or be coming today for that matter). That's all that matters: that the item is delivered on the date it states. It's coming Fri. and knowing it's in Utah or Kansas or Sri Lanka before that doesn't help me. I'd never pay for tracking and never have (as I said it's included in the USPS shipping price through some of my book sellers...the price being under a dollar sometimes btw, so tracking can't cost that much anyway). All tracking does is show where a package has been, which is usually 2 places in the state of its origin, one or two states in between that state and the one it is shipping to, and then two more places in its destination state before it arrives on my doorstep (that's another thing about USP: they BETTER insure stuff, and should insure it to AT LEAST what it's worth, because they leave it outside. i know that some packages of course can't fit in a mailbox, but this flashlight could and I'd rather have it in my mailbox than on my front porch all day to get stolen, kicked or stepped on by people rubber banding crap to my door knob or salesmen, or left in the hot and/or cold). Tracking is a joke, it's worthless. The thing arrives when it arrives.

In sum: As it stands now with the rip off shipping: good product, fair price. What it could and should be: $3 or less shipping which would equal good product, good/great price.

d1337

Enlightened
SpinDrift, I think it's likely that you if you found this light with less shipping cost or even free shipping your total cost would still be around $30. I guess for me it's just the total price that I'm concerned with. I don't think that you will find this light for $22 with free or $2.23 shipping but maybe. I know the ITP comes close but i feel like that is not the same light even though they are both made by ITP.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still say it's a rip off. $8 shipping on a tiny flashlight that cost $22? No way. :rolleyes: If I could get this flashlight somewhere else I would, but I can't. .

sounds like your complaint is more about ups rather than the store.
if i price my shipment on ups.com it costs 10.32 USD for ups ground.

sure i rather go with the usps but there is no option.
there was a situation with 4sevens and one of it's customers who complained they never got the light. it was marked as "delivered" by usps which just means it left their main warehouse and out for delivery. could've been stolen or the guy lied but that made an awkward situation.

anyway, i paid for the ups and i'm going to enjoy the fun of tracking the little fellow to my doorstep and the piece of mind that if it's lost or stolen i'm not out of the cash.
i don't think they are making money on that $8 or very little at all.

i think most ppl think like you do and look at the total purchase price which i did. for some 29 shipped a good deal or 26shipped each if you bought 2.

anyway, you do have an option. you can wait for the new itp eos to get in stock from goinggear.com and battery junction(or station?) too. they have multiple shipping options.

DM51

Flashaholic
Let's not get too hung up on the shipping here. There's a rant thread in the MP for letting off steam about that.

The topic is the Maratac AAA: let's get back on to it, please.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Ignoring the price difference, do you feel that that the Maratac AAA is a better EDC light than the Liteflux LF2XT?

If so, why?

I've been EDCing the LF2XT for a few weeks and will likely continue. It is just so more capable. However, today I carried (in pocket) the Maratac and it's size made it less noticeable, but not much. I guess it depends on how you plan to carry it. Mine might push my old Arc AAA off the keychain. Unless you want the bells and whistles plus a clickie switch of the LF2XT, the Maratac could be the better EDC.

Geoff

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
Ignoring the price difference, do you feel that that the Maratac AAA is a better EDC light than the Liteflux LF2XT?

If so, why?

I don't own any Liteflux flashlights, and so I can only comment based on what I've read. The LF2XT looks awesome. The Maratac, however, is substantially smaller. Unfortunately I cannot ignore the price difference: if the Maratac got lost, I'd be about 1/3rd as heartbroken as I would be if I lost an LF2XT.

Also, being clicky based, I would expect it to be somewhat less reliable than the Maratac.

For my EDC needs, I'd want the Maratac for situations where I'd be afraid of losing my flashlight (such as to courthouse security) or where I'd want an ultra-reliable and small backup to my normal EDC light.

For a more detailed analysis, I'll PM you my home address and you can send me an LF2XT for a full comparison :D.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
So, is it ok to use 10440s in this light? I just got my first set of 10440s, but have not used them yet.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my two have landed - both natural but one has a noticeably warmer tint but, both are not too shabby :D

First impression - I just CAN NOT get over how small it is! It will be fine for key chain carry although I am not too sure how much I trust the lanyard ring attachment point - its definitely not bombproof like my Arc-aaa or E01... With that said, I'm going to replace my arc-aaa on my keychain with it :twothumbs

The second will be for my father - he refuses to give up an old LED Lenser that runs on 3xaaa but I think this may do the trick. The ultimate test of the Maratac AAA's toughness will be if it can survive his pockets - he is friggin tough on lights and shows no remorse!!!

This light is the best value I think I've found next to the Petzl e+lite in a very long time - very very happy :party::party::party:

photo-23.jpg

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally ordered one (black) yesterday. It arrived in about 26 hours - it's good to be local. :)

Very impressive. With the exception of the lanyard attachment, I really like it, and I think I'll give the key chain L0D a break for a while.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally ordered one (black) yesterday. It arrived in about 26 hours - it's good to be local. :)

Very impressive. With the exception of the lanyard attachment, I really like it, and I think I'll give the key chain L0D a break for a while.

Lucky! :) I ordered mine on Friday and UPS says I won't have it until Monday. Shame it didn't ship Priority Mail, probably would have probably been here this week.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I neck-carried this little thing for a few hours at work, just clipped the pocket clip around a paracord neck lanyard. Barely knew it was there....

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Got mine in today. I'd call this one a must have for everyone. EDC'able even if you are just wearing underwear, actually you could be naked and have it on a neck chain.

It is Nat but I'd call this one more silvery than Nat really.
I got the floody, more OP reflector and it is just right.
Perfectly centered emitter on this one.
My tint is a hair toward warm.
PMW is pretty noticeable to me but I pick it up easy.
High is bright, med is ample for most tasks, low is nice and low-my kind of low.
Frigging' tiny!

I said I'd open it but the kind hands at CC picked me out such a winner that I have no need to open it! If I'd have gotten a dud I'd of cracked into it but not this one, no way.
:D
I just found the flashlight to wear in my scrubs and stay totally out of the way until I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.