• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Marshall from Going Gear Tribute

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a limited edition Marshall Hoots edition Olight flashlight ?

What a wonderful idea! I'm in!

Not unlike probably 95%+ of the people on CPF, I ordered lights that I surely did not need - 4 to be exact :eek: but I figure 2 or 3 of them will make great gifts and will have a great story behind them. I purchased from GG a number of times and was always appreciative of the great service and attention to detail. Marshall will surely be missed and prayers lifted for his family. I can't imagine the pain they must be feeling.

As for Olight, my first "real" flashlight was an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2 Black back on April 29, 2009. Many lights have come and gone in my collection, but that Olight is still part of the collection, although it does duty in the console of my daughter's SUV.

Bravo, Olight. What you did was generous and selfless and wonderful. Thank you!!!

Zandar

Enlightened
I've never dealt with Going Gear, but any tribute, that get's the seal of approval from my sensei, run4jc is not to be missed. I'm in as well.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, great gesture, Olight! I donated directly to the fund instead of buying a light but I very much appreciate Marshall's impact and what Olight is doing. Gone too soon.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched you tube and entered ' Going gear favorite '. The first video on the list was " Olight S1 Baton, my new favorite flashlight". Marshall was doing the review. The review was uploaded to YouTube October 2015.
So an S1 Baton, cool white ? copper ?
A tail cap engraved with Marshalls initials?
Just putting some thoughts out there.

Any thoughts appreciated.

elzilcho

Enlightened
Over $60,000 raised yesterday! I know there's more than a few people who normally would not have ordered a light were it not for the donation to Marshall's family.
Thanks so much to Olight and everyone who ordered yesterday.

I had already been planning to buy a new Olight but the fundraiser definitely influenced my decision to purchase from the Olight store directly (and specifically on 10/6). Thanks to Olight for doing this.

turkeylord

Enlightened
I had already been planning to buy a new Olight but the fundraiser definitely influenced my decision to purchase from the Olight store directly (and specifically on 10/6). Thanks to Olight for doing this.
Same here. I took my S1 Copper backpacking in August, and decided I should probably pick up an aluminum bodied light for that purpose... Ordered an S1A on Friday along with a 5D3 XM-L2 to mod it with. Going to be excellent out in the wild, and I'll always be reminded of Marshall when I use it. Beautiful gesture Olightworld.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. I took my S1 Copper backpacking in August, and decided I should probably pick up an aluminum bodied light for that purpose... Ordered an S1A on Friday along with a 5D3 XM-L2 to mod it with. Going to be excellent out in the wild, and I'll always be reminded of Marshall when I use it. Beautiful gesture Olightworld.
The S1R I got (from Going Gear) came with a Neutral XM-L2 in it. I don't know if it was a limited release, but it could save you some time if it didn't need modding.

turkeylord

Enlightened
The S1R I got (from Going Gear) came with a Neutral XM-L2 in it. I don't know if it was a limited release, but it could save you some time if it didn't need modding.
Really, interesting! I thought about going with an S Mini Ti for the neutral, but I wanted to go warmer.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really, interesting! I thought about going with an S Mini Ti for the neutral, but I wanted to go warmer.
I hear you, sometimes I get that feeling. :)

Over the years, I feel like Going Gear and Olight have brought me some really nice lights.

E9RGy0U.jpg

fUYqiw3.jpg

ho0DgNX.jpg

nF3Kz12.jpg

M27n6i0.jpg

VNHqser.jpg

boi0SXo.jpg

I guess the Brass one was the only official Going Gear version.
iOiNUE6.jpg

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
Very thoughtful gesture Olight, well done. Marshall's great enthusiasm and positive energy added a huge contribution to the flashlight community world wide, he sure an everlasting mark.I'm so sorry to know about this tonight, so sad and shocked, just 37 years old and leaving so soon, big loss for his family and loved ones, my deepest condolences goes out to them.Rest in peace great fellow, you'll live through your wonderful family, and the great company and team you created. Thank you Marshall for the videos, the available to everyone coupon code, the very good prices and many frequent discounts, your interactive team, and fast response and delivery. Had the pleasure to buy from you only twice as being international.Farewell Marshall, your star will shine forever.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
RIP Marshall!

Nice gesture by Olight doing this supporting his family.

Imo,Marshall did the best video reviews of flashlights on Youtube and he was entertaining, skilful and driven as a person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't stop myself from thinking about him today, every time the noises around me get quite I remembered him, all the time when I was doing a 3 hours handy work I was more focused in his memory, I still can't cope that he's gone, and I stupidly thought he was on vacation or taking a break. Unfortunately I feel like I've lost a friend, I am 37 too, I am struggling with an illness since the beginning of this damn year, not responding effectively with all the piles of described medicines I'm still taking, I'm not suggesting he was ill, and I don't want to know what happened, I respect the family decision, it doesn't make any difference to me at all, I will always remember him the same way I always pictured him inside my mind, as a good, honest, warm hearted, family loving, hard working father of two wonderful kids, that he had a moment with them in one of his recent reviews, God bless them.

Thanks again Olight for the noble gesture, he loved your brand, as I do, his review of M3SX-UT made me fancy that slightly warm slightly yellow/greenish tint, piercing the misty air at night, and I bought it from a nearer country to me. A superb tactical thrower, with unique tint that suites my needs perfectly, all thanks to Marshall's review.

He also gave me the opportunity to buy my Niwalker MM15 (MT-G2) long after it went out of stock due to the release of the XHP70 version, I couldn't find it anywhere, and suddenly Marshall had two back in stock, I bought the first one, it'll always remind me of him, especially how (in the review video) he used more than he should of the capacity of the 3400 mAh 5 Amps batteries he had put inside it, before reaching the outdoor beam shots, so the red indicator was on the whole time :) , that was in the first review, then he made the shots again the right way using IMR's during the review of the XHP70 version, and gave the light justice.

I'll be buying my next flashlight from GoingGear soon, and I hope they will continue stronger than ever.

Unfortunately that'll be without Marshall doing the reviews :(

RIP good fella

Last edited: