Matrix 2 sucks, IMHO.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it was ok, the first was better. felt like this was kind of filler for part 3. it was slow up front then left you hanging.

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
FC. said:
Did not like it at all. Looks like a big video game.

[/ QUOTE ]
pong.gif

It sure did... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry V8, but don't you agree this is a bit on the big side for a sigline?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
saw it last night...it was good...but not that good.

i much prefered the origional. some scenes were highly cg, but not quite as obvious as blade2.

it certainly did not live up to expectations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, Reloaded's a good movie, but not as "rewatchable" as X2... I happen to think X2 was a whole lot better... I also think Revolution is probably going to be the better one...

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the five minute (or was it five hour) trailer before X2 2 weeks ago. It satisfied my matrix quota for a long time. Special effects and slo mo fight scenes just for the sake of producing them at the expense of story turns me off.

I agree that X2 is the better film.

Evan

Enlightened
Just saw "Matrix Reloaded" tonight. I don't reccomend it. Slightly more plot than "Star Trek Nemissis", but that's not
saying much.

The three lead actors and a producer were on TV talk this
week, I think it was Charlie Rose. The way they talked about it I was expecting alot more than I got. They
gurgled about the depth and spirituality of it. Depth
was about 1/4 inch.

I really like a movie that starts with a plot and a script.
"Matrix Reloaded" is like an amusement park ride -- so so
fun while you are watching, and nothing to take away with
you when it is over.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that's a good way to put it.

i have seen many movies that were good, but once they are over, i can't rember why i enjoyed watching them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

matrix 2 falls into this catagory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't like it either. I felt like there was too much talking, most of it that didn't even need to be in the movie.

I felt like the directors were trying to say too much "stuff" in the movie and that they were using the action scenes as entertainment and a break from the story line. There was no reason behind the action scenes, they were almost pointless. Also, i could care less for that rave/sex scene between Neo and Trinity...that was pointless too. I think we already know how much they love each other from the ending of the first movie....they didn't need to show them doin' the nasty to prove it. It wasn't even that good anyway.

The characters were underdeveloped and i think they went a little on the deep end with there "matrix abilities." I think they spend an entire 20 minutes talking about programs making other programs to make other programs....blah blah blah.

Sorry if i sound so negative...I just didn't like the way this movie was edited or laid out.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Bart, but I lack the means to reduce it, and still keep it animated. Unless someone would like to host a smaller one for me or I will have to stick with a motionless PONG.

Two more rants:
Monica Bellucci needed more screen time!
So much yapping by two characters the French guy Monica was married to, and the creator of the Matrix ( Colonel Sanders looking guy near the end )

arioch

Enlightened
DOES NOT!!!! *spoilers*

I saw the show on Thursday, and enjoyed it.

As with most trilogies, the first movie is usually the one that is considered "groundbreaking" and "innovative", as in the original Star Wars saga and the current Lord of the Rings. The initial concept and storyline for the next two shows are introduced with the original. The special effects are also first introduced in the original.

The second movie is usually considered the "filler" between the introduction and conclusion.

I liked the concept of the obnoxious French hacker who used his abilities to make a niche in the Matrix for himself ... it was a rather novel and obvious idea that if you were a hacker and could alter reality to suit your every whim, what would you do? While some might choose to become freedom fighters like Neo et all, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I would think that there are a lot of people out there who would be making little gardens of Eden for themselves.

I enjoyed the Architect's reasoning for Neo's existence, as well as his explanation for the Oracle. One could find from the Architect's words (if true) that the Oracle and the resistance are just a part of a larger Matrix designed to encompass the 1% or so of the human population that cannot accept the standard Matrix (the resistance and the "freed" members of Zion are still plugged into the Matrix).

One of the main complaints I had with the movie was the number of fight scenes. Most of the ones that included Neo were unnecessary! The "test" fight Neo had with the Oracle's bodyguard was silly ... if Neo is the One, the bodyguard should have had NO shot at even slowing him down (BTW, what is the bodyguard for? If an Agent went after the Oracle, could the bodyguard have stopped it? It has already been established that Neo is the only human capable of stopping an Agent).

As far as his fight with Agent Smith, Neo can fly! Why hang around when he had more important things to do? With Agent Smith, it was funny that he was referring to humans in the first movie as a virus, when that is what he has apparently become. Technically speaking, Agent Smith can over time turn everyone in the Matrix into ... Agent Smith!

And in the six months or so between Matrix and Reloaded, one would think that Neo would have been able to come up with more and better abilities than he had shown, being the One and all. Telekinesis, kinetic force blasts, flame throwing, turning into metal, changing forms, teleportation, becoming immaterial (Anyone being reminded of another movie?) come to mind. His evolution was disappointing in his having to fight physically with the French guy's henchmen, when he should have been able to literally vaporize them at will. Like earlier, if he had nothing better to do, fighting is fun and all, but he had things to do.

Yes, like this rambling posting of mine, there was a LOT of dialogue, pertaining to both Zion and the Matrix, but it provided a lot of information for those of us who enjoyed the concept of the Matrix. It also introduced more questions that will undoubtedly be answered (hopefully) in the conclusion.

Anyone who wants to see more Monica Belucci in a current movie can watch "Tears of the Sun", which is still in theaters. Anyone who wants to see MORE of Monica Belucci can rent or buy "Brotherhood of the Wolf" on DVD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
V8TOYOTATRK said:
Yes Bart, but I lack the means to reduce it, and still keep it animated. Unless someone would like to host a smaller one for me or I will have to stick with a motionless PONG.

[/ QUOTE ]

pong.gif
fc212ce4.gif

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/p2698bcd8d8503f50f21ba31f79e4b28f/fc212ce4.gif[img]

Something like this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GeoffChan

Enlightened
Thank god, that I haven't had to spend 30 minutes waiting in a queue to watch this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I didn't like the first one at all, with all these negative reviews, I'm going to wait until someone loans me the dvd or wait until it gets screened on TV.

I'm going to catch X2 again.

Geoff

Lucien

Enlightened
Re: DOES NOT!!!! *MAJOR SPOILLERS*

Overall I'd say it was well worth going to watch it.

However, it does have some serious faults, the shoddy CG work for one. The Smith(s)-Neo fight scene being my main gripe there.

Also that scene seems to drag on, for all the action it actually becomes boring, lacking any sort of climatic point in it; The trailer presents that scene much better (ablit with the same CG quality). The only thing going for it is that I thought I could see at least three distinct stages in it: as more Smiths join in, the background music plays faster. But it isn't enough to save it.

And as arioch pointed out, Neo can just fly off anytime he pleases... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

There's also an overuse of the bullet-time special effects, it looses its flavour when applied in such liberal amounts. (I would have liked to see some blur-of-motion effects in that scene as they fought - the kind used when agents dodge bullets, but thats just me)

In some parts the film can't be faulted: With the first Matrix movie being as original as it was, it's rather inevitable that the sequel be unable to deliever the same amount of visual punch.

[ QUOTE ]
arioch said:
And in the six months or so between Matrix and Reloaded, one would think that Neo would have been able to come up with more and better abilities than he had shown, being the One and all. Telekinesis, kinetic force blasts, flame throwing, turning into metal, changing forms, teleportation, becoming immaterial (Anyone being reminded of another movie?) come to mind. His evolution was disappointing in his having to fight physically with the French guy's henchmen, when he should have been able to literally vaporize them at will. Like earlier, if he had nothing better to do, fighting is fun and all, but he had things to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly unrelated, but I'm glad they actually didn't go down this path. Imagine if Neo was made all powerful, and all he'd have to do is twiddle his thumbs to save the day... it'd turn the whole show into some cheezy superhero flick.

Instead they kinda took a step back, Neo is way powerful, but the machine attack is on Zion, in the real world. Beating up on agents won't help...

There's a parallel with the first movie if you think about it: In the first movie, "reality" (the matrix) was a lie. In this one, the reality that some of them believe in - the prophecy - is a lie. A bigger one with the same goal as the first.

Of all the characters, I think I liked Smith the best - got to look around and see if I can get a print of the movie poster that features him(s). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wonder if the Wachowski brothers intended for him to be a pun - he's now a "free agent"...

And the biggest gripe us flashaholics would have about the show - didn't see any flashlights in it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

edit: as for it being a great/good/bad show... I'll wait until I've watched it a second time to decide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

arioch

Enlightened

I was not expecting Neo to be all powerful, but he did not show any powers that he did not have or acquire in the first movie (kept moving faster and becoming more adept at fighting; could take on Agents; could stop bullets; and could fly). My point was that he might have learned some new stuff between then and now. Just one or two new abilities could have been introduced (aside from his being able to revive Trinity in the end, of course).

As for the point that was made about the attack being made on Zion and not the Matrix, this was something I had wondered about since the first movie. Since Neo's One power seemed to only relate to the Matrix, it seemed extremely limited in its scope and ability to help the human race. The machines have the unfreed human race in pods and are keeping them alive. The Matrix stimulates their mental needs to keep them functioning. If Neo would shut down the Matrix, or even reveal to a significant number of its citizens that the Matrix is not real, and these people were to wake up, then what? Consider how long it took Morpheus' crew to get Neo back to a nominally functioning physical level. Also consider that the members of Zion are estimated to be about 1% of the human population. So you shut down the machines and end up with some 25 million people in containment tubes with no nourishment, physically disabled, and not cognizant of their situation.

The point made in both movies is that we (humans and machines) need one another. We are codependent. The concept of control should have not been an issue, as it is more an emotional issue.

What happened at the end of Reloaded answered (for now) why Neo (the One) was considered such a danger to the machines. This was when Neo demonstrated the ability to shut down the Sentinels that were chasing them in the real world. This shows that Neo actually has the ability to attack all machines, not just the ones in the Matrix. Of course, if Architect's ramblings are accurate, then it does not matter, since the "real world" that Neo is in with Zion is itself not real.

An enigma within a paradox contained by a conundrum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As Lucien said, I need to see the movie one or two more times to get a better perspective. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can anybody say: The Truman Show?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm expecting a lot of people to "wake up" in Revolution. At the very least, they set up the battle against the machines in the supposed "real" world. So if Neo can overpower programs in the Matrix, he can certainly overpower machines in the "real" world, if the real world is also part of the Matrix...

Kind'a tricky, but I think because he can physically kill the machines at the end, it proves that Zion is also a fake, a creation of the Matrix, in which Neo can master "both" worlds... If Zion was actually truthfully real, then he may not have been able to disable those machines...

I tend to believe the Oracle may actually be the "true" human in this case, and Neo's the ultimate Virus programmed by her... Of course, once you think of it in this matter, you might get a migraine...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Just a coffee-filled rambing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Lucien

Enlightened
point - counter-point

[ QUOTE ]
arioch said:
I was not expecting Neo to be all powerful, but he did not show any powers that he did not have or acquire in the first movie (kept moving faster and becoming more adept at fighting; could take on Agents; could stop bullets; and could fly). My point was that he might have learned some new stuff between then and now. Just one or two new abilities could have been introduced (aside from his being able to revive Trinity in the end, of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Just meant to say that the movie not being what a lot of people were expecting (super-Neo) is actually good in a way: Reloaded doesn't try to out-Matrix the Matrix. As for learning new stuff, perhaps they just couldn't think of anything new to add. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (I still say the blur-of-motion effect was underused)

Re Neo being able to attack Sentinels: I'm wondering that as Smith seemingly gained something from Neo, has Neo gained something from his meeting with the Architect? Which leads to a possibility for the finale which I don't want to say for fear of it being an actual spoiler.

I have a friend who also suggested that the "real" world is also just another Matrix, and yes, that would be migraine inducing....

Not to mention a disappointment, I still remember my English teachers from way back warning us to never write "it was just a dream" stories for our 'O'-levels.

However, while that is a valid possibility,I think the "real world" here is real, The One is an inevitable by-product of the system that is the Matrix. A by-product that the machines were able to harness via the "prophecy", but still need to be wary of. Once The One appears, Zion is wiped clean and reseeded (the 23 people) and the system is reset. Further details I don't get, like what happens to all the people in the Matrix if/when it's reset, where are the 23 chosen from and wouldn't they bring knowledge of the past with them?

So the Oracle is just a program, one whose purpose is to help propagate the prophecy, just as the agents have their purpose and the French guy, whose name I can't recall, has knowledge (perhaps the Oracle too) - the whole knowledge & purpose vs. action/reaction thing. Neo is forced to act/react along the way because he lacks knowledge of what's really going on.

Smith seems to no longer be part of the system, so where does he fit in?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: point - counter-point

In the past few days I thought everyone was against me here!

I did like the first one better because it was the original, but I liked this movie for what it was. It's that strange middle ground that's not the beginning or end. It lacks the tension building mystery of realization. It's not supposed to have the culmination of an ending. It's simply story line filled in with unnecesary (but cool) fighting designed to take your ticket money.

I agree that there were parts that could have been better, but I'm not the director and I was happy to hand over my $8.50 opening night. And I didn't have to wait in line...got my tickets early in the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lucien said:
I have a friend who also suggested that the "real" world is also just another Matrix, and yes, that would be migraine inducing....

Not to mention a disappointment, I still remember my English teachers from way back warning us to never write "it was just a dream" stories for our 'O'-levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that suck as an ending...the Matrix is a "wierd dream" brought on from junkfood he was eating when he was at the computer in the first movie. You know, before he followed the rabbit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

in my best Keanu, woah!
Who would of thought that one of the members of "Wyld Stalions" could save the human race /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason

Latest posts