MBI #3 - Codename: HF

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news there Guy, May I suggest using a small piece of suede leather as a protective cushion to mount the tailpiece in a vise (or locking pliers) then the trit slots out easily. Suede works well, a finished piece of leather may be a bit too slick and let the tail piece slip. Just be sure you keep the suede cleaned of metal shavings to avoid scratches. ;)

Dale

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Houston, The Eagle has landed . . .
Pictures to start coming within an hour.
Reviews too!
Oh You guys and Gals are going to be blown away with Guy's attention to detail and meticulous packaging.
The semi-clear case of the HF is genious. To be honest I was shocked at how small the box was that contained the HF's.
Stay tuned . . . Comparisons of the HF's are in progress.
GL Out.

Esko

Enlightened
A shipping notice here, too. I didn't buy a charger with my light, I guess I should finally take care of that issue, too... After all, I don't want to find myself as a main character in one of Guy's "fictional" hotline stories.

I can only imagine how your wife feels about all this! I get in trouble with mine with my small projects! :)

I can imaging Guy in a beauty shop, purchasing some nail polish curing lights for trit installations while Mrs. Tgwnn is repeating: "Remember that I have only two hand, remember that I have only two hands..." :rolleyes:

When all else fails, read the manual (unknown source)

I believe that was written in the manual.

wyldthng

Newly Enlightened
Pacing, pacing. I got my shipping notice and have been tracking it with my handy app and I just may be lucky enough to have my first batch by tomorrow!!! I want to play over the weekend so I hope so....
Well done on the drilling, Guy!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a few priliminary shots ;)
GL

Now clickable to enlarge

Edit: New Beta Version of Photobucket, Me fix Sorry guys

Last edited:

Nice65

Newly Enlightened
Ahh...

well almost...
The hole enlarging is smooth.

Just that it seems I need an extra 0.1mm

Will see if I can find a 2.1mm drill bit tomorrow.
I did see some 2.3mm, 2.5mm (I have one but too big).

Then I can use the 2mm trits (all colors).

Copper and Brass is ok but Titanium....
now I see why its worthy of spacecraft material!

tgwnn

Drill slowly and use cutting fluid. Titanium will snap bits one after another if you don't.

Have a few spares too. Cobalt bits will cut better.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible! the tracking reveals that I should receive my HF, from Japan, before the spiderco's I ordered from the U.S. (and shipped 2 days earlier.) It even says 1 to 3 days to my door, although most likely 3 days as it still has to cross the mere 6000 kilometers of our very small country. I also get tracking information in the Canada post website for my HF, but nothing from any U.S deliveries until it passes customs (if I get any info at all.) Japan post seems to be the only one pushing the envelope but, then again, we're talking about Japan... unless Guy gave them a little something to move things faster...

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible! the tracking reveals that I should receive my HF, from Japan, before the spiderco's I ordered from the U.S. (and shipped 2 days earlier.) It even says 1 to 3 days to my door, although most likely 3 days as it still has to cross the mere 6000 kilometers of our very small country. I also get tracking information in the Canada post website for my HF, but nothing from any U.S deliveries until it passes customs (if I get any info at all.) Japan post seems to be the only one pushing the envelope but, then again, we're talking about Japan... unless Guy gave them a little something to move things faster...

That's incredible! Mine has been sitting in Japan for days now. :(

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Alex, it's the testing system at work...they play with it in customs till the Nukes die then regretfully send it on your way! :) Couple 2-3 days in Japan then it lands in CA and you don't hear a work till the mailman delivers it. And then you do the Snoopy dance! :)

Dale

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it says "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" on the Japan post website and it says "accepted" on the Canada post site with a mention of 1 to 3 days of delivery time. I normally don't get any info from Canada post until the package is actually IN the country. I guess Vancouver has a straight shipping line with Asia thanks to all the immigrants from China. I'm not complaining but perhaps we could use more immigrants from the U.S. and Germany :D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bit wordy but there's a section on drilling part way down the first post.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?8974-Working-with-Titanium&p=127916#post127916

Thanks very much :)
I found a combo of slow speed with plenty of torque works well.

Only found a 2.2mm bit at the HW store on the way home.
May have to go to a megastore tomorrow to get a 2.1mm as I dont want to drill out more than needed, though I imagine drilling a couple of Ti's will convert the 2.2mm drill to a 2.1mm :)

Alex,
The time is usually shown as a day ahead so looks like it left the country 1~2 days ago.

Made it back home this evening and crashed (well just found myself asleep).
Dragged myself to my feet....

I have some more packets for the PO but don't think I'm in driving shape this evening (forgive me).
Will make a trip tomorrow.

Next out are a few more brass, a few Ti Blasted, some Ti Raw.
Then I will be awaiting things to return from the workshop and the estimate is approximately 10 days from now till more things arrive.

Also had an update on Aluminum HF's.
I think I had mentioned (or maybe not?) there was a delay in that the Al Anodizing basically destroyed the threading of all the machined Aluminum HF's so they need to be redone.
Workshop told me it will be approximately 30 days till they are ready to ship.

I will summarize everything and plan to update the "Development Status" page on the MBI website tomorrow.

Also, I discovered a few people who found their shipping notices in their spam/junkmail folder.
Dont want to spur up false hopes but can't hurt to check.

Thanks for your patience during this busy time.

Tgwnn