MBI #3 - Codename: HF

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Introducing.....HF Micro

ahe5ydyh.jpg

How cool would that be?!

Very cool Alex :)
I tried that too btw....
it'll work on a small 3V, but not that bright and not too much run time.

Will need some micro nukes...

tgwnn

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my HF yesterday. Thanks for the fast shipping, Guy.

Some quick shots and my first impression for those in waiting.

img2306f.jpg

From the package, this is what you'll receive. A nice tube that can be used for other stuff such as a survival canister, cyalume stick container, to store other lights or batteries etc. Trust me, you won't need this tube to put the HF back unless you intend to sell it.

img2309pn.jpg

:rolleyes: Be sure to read all the precautionary notices from the manufacturer. With great power comes great responsibilities.

img2315xw.jpg

Here's what you get:
- HF Light
- The REAL HF host packaging
- 3 x 10280 batteries (not shown above because they are contained within the host - see below)
- AAA Extender
- 2 Trits (for those who opt for temporary installation)
- Mini Clip
- 2 Extra O-rings
- Operator's Manual

img2316p.jpg

The main highlight (besides the light itself) is this packaging which acts as a host to HF and can be used as a "flashlight" by turning the head.

img2319mw.jpg

3 x 10280 batteries are stored at the bottom of the canister made accessible with what reminded me of a revolver cylinder style.

img2318cf.jpg

The head reveals the front of HF with a protective lens from the host. The fit is so well done, I don't blame anyone for mistaking this canister as the actual flashlight. The whole design is ingenious as it serves so many practical functions. I wish Guy would consider producing another one HF AAA with 3 AAAs. :naughty:

img2320o.jpg

Unscrew the knurled bezel of the canister to remove HF. My version is bead blasted neutral XM-L T5. The quality of its fit and finish is very high.

img2342sb.jpg

Here's the tail with trits inserted (yet to be installed). My serial number is 00008. Thanks, Guy, for letting us early birds choose our preferred numbers. :thumbsup:
On a side note, the clip attaching point is slightly lopsided, not sure if it's suppose to be centralised or off-centered by design.

img2347j.jpg

img2352fk.jpg

HOLY FLASHLIGHT! HOLY UI! (and with my favourite 2-mode too)

img2350n.jpg

Above is tweaked to match visual tint. The beam profile is a bit funky only when inspected upclose, anything further than a yard or a meter and it's floody perfect.

img2353a.jpg

Size comparison with some other titanium AAAs.
HF 10280 body > HF AAA > Sapphire > LF2XTi > Versati ET10 > Titaner ET20B > Univex > DQG Ti > Preon P1 > Mako

If there is any single concern I may have for this to be my EDC, that would be accidental activation during carry via suspension clip or keychain. Because the clip is firmly attached to the pocket or key ring, movement and handling might rotate the body and activate it, especially if the light was previously switched off every so slightly. Although this is highly unlikely, but I've read stranger things have happened. :duh2:

I own a substantial number of lights and no light has really got me excited for some time. But HF surprised and delighted me the moment it was announced to the moment I played with it (barring the work-in-progress period to let Guy take his time to produce this gorgeous package). I have not come across any custom or production light maker who caters to so many suggestions and provided so much at such a reasonable price. Kudos, Guy. :twothumbs

I was hoping to get another immediately after 5 minutes playing with it but it is to no surprise I found them all to be sold out. I guess I'll wait patiently for the HA grey or another batch of Ti/Copper to be produced.

Zandar

Enlightened
:bow:Zeruel, Let me be the first person (with an actual name ) to thank you for an excellent review. And to GUY, I'm really drooling ,that now for the first time we( people with actual names) can see the entire wonder of the H F. Hold on a minute,there's just one problem here, I feel an inspiration coming on. I think "light" isn't a broad enough term to encompass everything included in the package. Guy your giving us so much, for so little and with all the "surprises" included, let me humbly suggest that the term "H F Experience" is a more apt description for this whole package!

Yes, I know this proves that I'm certifiable as well. I'm hooked and I wish to add my voice to those of Climberkid and Got Lumens in requesting an official MBI Club certificate. Please consider this guy!

Happily awaiting my very own "H F Experience"

Zandar

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review there, Zeruel. I didn't read even half of it, though, because I want to keep most of the surprise for myself.

Someone posted a link to track international mail a few pages back, but I can't seem to find it... anyone? Canada post is too lame to track anything international whether it's inbound or outbound (lazy *******s...)

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My tracking number has said "dispatch from outward office of exchange" since last Thursday. I am almost glad it doesn't give me compelte step-by-steps, because I'm letting myself beleive it has just stopped updating for some reason, and could be here ANY DAY I get home. Maybe today? I know this is unlikely, but it is a fun and painful game to play.

Oh, and nice review Zeruel! Thanks for the write up.

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review indeed Zeruel! Nice pics too. Makes me look that much more forward to getting the complete package, as yet I've just got the HF Cu all by it's lonesome, well, with the 440 body and 3 Nukes. Well done!

Might I also add That's a nice collection of tiny Ti lights you've got there!

<---jealous

Dale

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a question for those out there in the know. I've found a device that boasts a capability of recharging an iPhone 4x. It's about the size of an iPhone, even looks like an iPhone. It's called Mophie and supposedly has 4000mAh capacity and charges out through a USB connection. Can't find specifics on the voltage so don't know if would actually power the HF or Torpedo directly. But, with a cottonpicker charger it has the potential to charge a Nuke 5 times! So that would be an equivalent of 8 batteries on tap for an overnight or emergency situation with no AC power. It's kind of high but not extrememly at $79.95 (I paid $140 for my 13.2V Li-ion pack for my Canon 1DsMkII with 5500mAh capacity)

Will someone please check this out and let me know if it would be feasible for use as I've described? http://www.mophie.com/juice-pack-po...rstion-2.htm?gclid=CPnjgo2Tn68CFYFeTAodZF6c4g

Thanks,

Dale

Hey Dale,

I'm in the market for one of these for my Ipad and Iphone while travelling. When I order (next few weeks), I'll test it out with the CP charger and the nukes, and let you know how it works. I am not tech savvy enough to look at th enumbera nd know if it will work. I can only try, and if something explodes, I'll report that it didn't work. If the charger goes UP and then terminates, and the light comes on, I'll report that it does work.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
:bow:Zeruel, Let me be the first person (with an actual name ) to thank you for an excellent review. And to GUY, I'm really drooling ,that now for the first time we( people with actual names) can see the entire wonder of the H F. Hold on a minute,there's just one problem here, I feel an inspiration coming on. I think "light" isn't a broad enough term to encompass everything included in the package. Guy your giving us so much, for so little and with all the "surprises" included, let me humbly suggest that the term "H F Experience" is a more apt description for this whole package!

Yes, I know this proves that I'm certifiable as well. I'm hooked and I wish to add my voice to those of Climberkid and Got Lumens in requesting an official MBI Club certificate. Please consider this guy!

Happily awaiting my very own "H F Experience"

Zandar

Thanks Zandar,

much appreciated and really, hits the nail on the head of what I'm aiming for.
We (cpf) have a very talented designer/custom maker with a 2D ;)
I do very much believe that a product is an experience though and aiming for 5D's

Design - share it early and refine it together
Determination - to conquer challenges that will undoubtedly arise
Delivery - ensuring something magical arrives at your door
Dedication - to exceeding expectations in before and after sales support
Da no name way - well, I know it starts with a T but its there to remind me that just a little bit of craziness is an essential ingredient

I'm certainly not there yet, but something to strive for (in case none of this makes sense, it may be due to a lack of sleep, your or me :D )

Nice review there, Zeruel. I didn't read even half of it, though, because I want to keep most of the surprise for myself.

Someone posted a link to track international mail a few pages back, but I can't seem to find it... anyone? Canada post is too lame to track anything international whether it's inbound or outbound (lazy *******s...)
Hi Cataract,
I think it was this: http://www.track-trace.com/

My tracking number has said "dispatch from outward office of exchange" since last Thursday. I am almost glad it doesn't give me compelte step-by-steps, because I'm letting myself beleive it has just stopped updating for some reason, and could be here ANY DAY I get home. Maybe today? I know this is unlikely, but it is a fun and painful game to play.
Oh, and nice review Zeruel! Thanks for the write up.
Hi SL1,
I have batch tracking on and seeing most of the same status! cmon planes/posties.... hurry up please.

Nice review indeed Zeruel! Nice pics too. Makes me look that much more forward to getting the complete package, as yet I've just got the HF Cu all by it's lonesome, well, with the 440 body and 3 Nukes. Well done!

Might I also add That's a nice collection of tiny Ti lights you've got there!

<---jealous

Dale
Very soon.

Hey Dale,

I'm in the market for one of these for my Ipad and Iphone while travelling. When I order (next few weeks), I'll test it out with the CP charger and the nukes, and let you know how it works. I am not tech savvy enough to look at th enumbera nd know if it will work. I can only try, and if something explodes, I'll report that it didn't work. If the charger goes UP and then terminates, and the light comes on, I'll report that it does work.
Oh yes I was checking that page.
I think it should power up the CP charger.
Might be best to ask Mr. CottonPickers if he's tried and what the minimum (milliamps) input requirement is for the chargers.

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimum? The thing is capable of supplying over 2 Amps! It'll definately run a CottonPickers charger. My main wish for this is the voltage output, can't find what the voltage output is! I'd like to make a plug in module for the HF to run on an external battery pack, or maybe the Torpedo. :) Should be relatively simple so of course it will not be! :thinking:

Thanks Smokelaw1, that feedback would be very much appreciated. If you could get a voltage out reading with a multimeter that might be nice to know too! I like nicely made gadgets. Love em actually. (Hence my infatuation with all things MBI) And this charger looks well done.

I am starting an MBI funds account, in order to try and be ready for NEXT! :takeit:

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimum? The thing is capable of supplying over 2 Amps! It'll definately run a CottonPickers charger. My main wish for this is the voltage output, can't find what the voltage output is! I'd like to make a plug in module for the HF to run on an external battery pack, or maybe the Torpedo. :) Should be relatively simple so of course it will not be! :thinking:

Thanks Smokelaw1, that feedback would be very much appreciated. If you could get a voltage out reading with a multimeter that might be nice to know too! I like nicely made gadgets. Love em actually. (Hence my infatuation with all things MBI) And this charger looks well done.

I am starting an MBI funds account, in order to try and be ready for NEXT! :takeit:

Dale

Hi Dale,

If you get a group of people, you might be able to negotiate for better interest rates ;)

Sitting here packing some tritted HF's and thinking,
The HF is really just something of minimal size for the purpose of connecting/holding the Nukes and the XML in a minimal size.

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Similarly that's what the T-Shirt printing company told me. If I had a few hundred extra bucks lying around I could order a batch of shirts and save money. Then they're trying to set me up in an account so people can order the shirts on my account and I'd make a little something on them. I told em I'm not doing it for a profit just helpin folks out. I got the "How sweet!" comment, and next, moving right along. lol

It's a combination of brilliance Guy, really it is. Not just simply the smallest package to tie the emitter to the power source, but the BEST emitter to the BEST power source (even if you did have to have it made yourself) point being that from top to bottom, package to delivery the entire concept is truly an experience. And one that I will proudly share with anyone remotely interested as I puff out my chest and show the TShirt with your information on it! :)

Even the little old lady at the miniscule post office in Pendleton TX was amazed at the thoughtfullness, the tiny battery that delivers such an impressive punch. Oh yeah, you've definately got something going here!

Now I want one with Ti head and tail and carbon fiber tube for the designer series! :nana::crackup:lovecpf

Dale

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Similarly that's what the T-Shirt printing company told me. If I had a few hundred extra bucks lying around I could order a batch of shirts and save money. Then they're trying to set me up in an account so people can order the shirts on my account and I'd make a little something on them. I told em I'm not doing it for a profit just helpin folks out. I got the "How sweet!" comment, and next, moving right along. lol

It's a combination of brilliance Guy, really it is. Not just simply the smallest package to tie the emitter to the power source, but the BEST emitter to the BEST power source (even if you did have to have it made yourself) point being that from top to bottom, package to delivery the entire concept is truly an experience. And one that I will proudly share with anyone remotely interested as I puff out my chest and show the TShirt with your information on it! :)

Even the little old lady at the miniscule post office in Pendleton TX was amazed at the thoughtfullness, the tiny battery that delivers such an impressive punch. Oh yeah, you've definately got something going here!

Now I want one with Ti head and tail and carbon fiber tube for the designer series! :nana::crackup:lovecpf

Dale

Hi Dale,

Nice story about the lady at the PO:)

Not sure about carbon fiber yet though it would be very cool.
What I can tell you is I have this ultra cool finish, never been done before (far as I know)...
Needs to be with the right product/concept but you'll enjoy it, for sure!

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what is the HF really for.....

well its so you never have to go through this scenario ;)

####### the skit ########
dude: so I heard you're one of those flashlight people
flashaholic: yeh, well you could say that

dude: so, you got any on you?
flashaholic: [thinking: man forgot my edc] well I only got this one on my keychain

dude: can I see it
flashaholic:[thinks: was hoping he'd ask] sure

dude: cool, its pretty small
flashaholic: yeh, kind a cool huh

dude: I bet my the flash on my sPhone is brighter though!
dude: watch this....

flashaholic: [thinks: man, since when have they been using 100lumen leds in phones?]
flashaholic: the battery must be low or something
dude: meh, think I'll just stick with the phone. It takes pictures too!

flashaholic: [thinks: I knew I shoulda got one'o'them matchbox holies!]
####### end ########

:D tgwnn

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link Guy... unfortunately they have the exact same information both post office sites offer. Looks like I'll have to endure the cold while keeping watch :knight:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a sad day for a flashaholic, guy. Even if I run out to my car for a fire call with no pants on ill always have my HF on my keys!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link Guy... unfortunately they have the exact same information both post office sites offer. Looks like I'll have to endure the cold while keeping watch :knight:
Hi Cataract,

If I get some spare time, thinking of making my own tracking system.

I missed that other mail that you sent me with the corrected number but I have it now. Thank You! I feel better now. Back to checking that mail box. LOL!

Calvin
Hi Machinist Man,
Glad its sorted out and sorry for the typo.

That's a sad day for a flashaholic, guy. Even if I run out to my car for a fire call with no pants on ill always have my HF on my keys!
Hi Alex,
I must admit I have not had anything better than the HF on my keychain (torpedo is in pocket).
What I love the most is having the big lumens when I want to summon them up, regardless of whats in my pocket.

Tgwnn