MBI #3 - Codename: HF

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic upgrade there Guy! Am very interested in a Ti version of that combo ;)

Kuan, I have no idea what you're experiencing with your off position. But I can say this, I have personally destroyed the switch mechanism in an HF (unintentionally of course!) and I don't see how it could be possible for the off to shift, the way the switch is made I just can't see it happening. I'm sure Guy will be able to figure that problem out, but from my experience with it there's just got to be another issue. Perhaps a bit of metal from machining was left inside the switch and it's gotten in the way of the action or something relatively simple like that. All the best...

Dale

Hi Dale,

Thanks.
A Ti version...
Sure, I know at least one person who wants one :D

The switch, yes I was thinking that too but you never know.

Tgwnn

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]
I have to say that the QTC + ZoomHead combo seems like it should almost be a completely different flashlight.
For a flashaholic, its almost like a too good to be true cobmo...
Full control over beam profile, flood or throw and full control over lumen count.

On paper, perhaps its not so easily apparent but a focused light, needs far less lumens to appear bright.
So if you are using the light up close, in the middle of the night (on a plane perhaps where you don't want to disturb your neighbours) very low low, with tight focus is useful. When you broaden the beam, more lumens are required to maintain a similar level or brightness.

I know most of you will already know this, but it becomes very very useful in that way.

To reach the max output on high with QTC requires a fair amount of torque when turning so my fingers are tired out from playing with it all night (and twisting every last lumen out of it). Picking up my HF, was instant relief and pleasurable to be able to get a big high again so quickly.

That was when I realized that whilst the QTC/ZoomHead combo is totally awesome, it won't be kicking my HF off my keychain just yet but if I were to add a button for instant high to the QTC tail, my HF may have to make room for a new sibling on the keychain.

An XPG2 or even smaller emitter would work very nicely with the Q/Z combo without needing to overdrive it (or over torque the tail).

As always, feedback and questions most welcomed.

I'm definitely going to give one of the QTC proto tails away and leaning towards just making it a set with the ZoomHead because together, I think you'll find they are quite mesmerising.

Tgwnn

I was thinking "Infinitely variable + zoomhead sounds AWESOME" but you took the words out of my mouth ;)

With a momentary full output button, it just sounds like you might start a revolution! (Yes, it's a pun and I leave it like that :nana:)

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm so game for a Ti zoom with infinite tail in the clockwise direction for on. With a button. Ahhhh! So exciting. Xpg2 without a doubt. Man, this is going to be incredible.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dale,

Guy has followed up with me on my switch. I did some quick measuring as guy told me, there's only 90 degrees or so separating low and high, and the other off side has more than 180 degrees. It definitely wasn't like this before. I think what you said is probably the case, some shavings some how got in the way and changed its polarity a bit.

This is just an excuse that I HAVE to get a new tail when it becomes available, either 3 mode or qtc:D

FsTop

Enlightened
I also had a QTC keychain light recently, and did not care for it. It required quite a bit of pressure to twist it, even with a very fine thread, and it became erratic rather than a smooth increase in brightness, once small amounts of wear and/or grit got between the QTC material and the metal.

IMHO it's a variable-brightness technology that sounds more attractive than it works. I sold mine.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also had a QTC keychain light recently, and did not care for it. It required quite a bit of pressure to twist it, even with a very fine thread, and it became erratic rather than a smooth increase in brightness, once small amounts of wear and/or grit got between the QTC material and the metal.

IMHO it's a variable-brightness technology that sounds more attractive than it works. I sold mine.

Depends on the setup. Simple solutions usually.

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
My only issue with QTC personally is that it seems to vary on output over time. It seems to ramp up slowly the longer its on. It could just be me getting used to the lighting conditions, etc.. But my brother said the same thing. Me and my brother checked this out with 2 Peaks and a kuku that i have. Once turned on, if you leave it completely stationary, it tends to almost double in overall brightness after about 10 to 15 minutes of being set down on a level surface. The Kuku is easy enough to adjust the light levels on though. The peaks are very finicky when it comes to even just moving the light in my hand. The light just shifts lower or higher at random with small motions. The peaks are also difficult to twist.

Ive stopped EDCing my peaks now that i have the HF. I really like the smooth on/off but i cant wait to buy one of the button tails and the zoom head.

Quick question, i know the price of copper/brass is going up unfortunately, but do you intend to do the new tails and zoom heads in brass eventually?

wyldthng

Newly Enlightened
Qtc tail and a zoom head in Ti is like a dream come true. The idea of a switch on the tail as well is awesome! Where do I sign up?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking "Infinitely variable + zoomhead sounds AWESOME" but you took the words out of my mouth ;)

With a momentary full output button, it just sounds like you might start a revolution! (Yes, it's a pun and I leave it like that :nana:)

Thanks Cataract,
at least with the momentary full output button, you may never need the revolution ;)

Yeah I'm so game for a Ti zoom with infinite tail in the clockwise direction for on. With a button. Ahhhh! So exciting. Xpg2 without a doubt. Man, this is going to be incredible.
Thanks Alex,
I'm liking it so far, the button is the only way it will stand a chance over the HF on my keychain.

Hi FsTop,
I had the same thoughts many times thinking there are better ways to achieve the same thing.
I've been looking at rotary pots, and dip switches but the challenge always seems to be handling a high current in a small package.
The QTC does excel in that department. The grit, etc, is only a result of the implementation.
If implemented correctly, I think reaching 50% of max can be done without too much force required, so adding the button for max, instinctively seems like a good idea.

My only issue with QTC personally is that it seems to vary on output over time. It seems to ramp up slowly the longer its on. It could just be me getting used to the lighting conditions, etc.. But my brother said the same thing. Me and my brother checked this out with 2 Peaks and a kuku that i have. Once turned on, if you leave it completely stationary, it tends to almost double in overall brightness after about 10 to 15 minutes of being set down on a level surface. The Kuku is easy enough to adjust the light levels on though. The peaks are very finicky when it comes to even just moving the light in my hand. The light just shifts lower or higher at random with small motions. The peaks are also difficult to twist.

Ive stopped EDCing my peaks now that i have the HF. I really like the smooth on/off but i cant wait to buy one of the button tails and the zoom head.

Quick question, i know the price of copper/brass is going up unfortunately, but do you intend to do the new tails and zoom heads in brass eventually?
Hi GrimCreaper,

I think the ramping up part again is related to the implementation, but I'll need to test that.
In so far as I've seen so far, the output is stable but if you apply firm pressure to the tail you can increase the brightness.
I'll have to give it the 15 min test, as you mentioned.
I've also read and watched some videos about how flickery some of the QTC models were and I have to say, this is smooth, as I hope you can see from the video I posted.
At very very low levels (low enough to look straight into the emitter), I can notice a little jumping in the level whilst turning the tail but I think its more to do with the added pressure I apply to the tail whilst turning, than the rotation itself.

Qtc tail and a zoom head in Ti is like a dream come true. The idea of a switch on the tail as well is awesome! Where do I sign up?

Thanks wyldthng,

You are signed up :)

No more pre-order required but I'll be posting updates as usual for feedback before making the first batch.
I just want to get that button implemented and then will pull the trigger on the first batch.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm ready to give away the prototype HF ZoomHead + QTC Tail combo.

Any suggestions on how to select the random lucky winner?

Tgwnn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
:takeit:
There, that was easy.

Oh, I mean....

Something that's not gonna clog up the thread probably. So a drawing of serial numbers sounds like the best idea. If they are all in a database.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Serial number random draw sounds like the most straightforward. Takes no input from the members who may be out of town or unable to see that there's even a drawing going on. Put all the serial numbers in and draw mine, easy enough. Sorry Alex. Nice try. :p

Dale