Mcr17XR + Dremel Tool = KI-LE Cree Reflector

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mcr17XR doesn`t look like a good reflector for a KI-LE Cree mod but I`ll bet a Dremel can help trim it to fit OK.
grinser2.gif

IMG_3034.jpg

Since it fits in the head the diameter of the top part of the Mcr17XR is fine but the diameter of the ring below needs to be trimmed down the same as the KI`s reflector so it will fit inside the LE.
IMG_3063.jpg

Trick with not having a Lathe to trim this and using a Dremel instead is getting it round and an even amount removed all the way around. The reflector slides snugly inside the LE Can which screws into the head and trim it crooked so it slides in off center........
ohgeez.gif
We will see how well I did in a minute?
rolleye11.gif

IMG_3059.jpg

With the reflectors sitting on thier Luxeon and Cree emitters checking for the correct hieght (or length) is pretty easy to see without even measuring. But I measured anyway!
nana.gif
Just need to make sure the ring left at the top is the same thickness all the way around so it will push on the lens evenly for the Oring to seal well.
IMG_3069.jpg

Hmmm...... Picture is looking in the head off center so you can`t tell how well I did with my Dremel work and those shadows make it even harder to tell. Oooop!
redface.gif
Is it centered or not???
rolleye11.gif
We will have to wait for Sengoku to mod his KI-LE to Cree with this reflector since it is boxed and ready to ship.
grinser2.gif
Hehe!

Ray, the box needs an address so send me a PM!
smile.gif

IMG_3074.jpg

Last edited:

Sengoku

Enlightened
Very impressive work Ken!
buttrock.gif
I cant wait to start on this mod, just waiting to receive the piglet board...
party.gif

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, very nice ! What are drive-levels to the Cree Ken-man ?

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
TranquillityBase said:
Is the stock reflector difficult to remove, from the KI-B?

TB

Scott, the reflector was glued in LE but I think I already popped the reflector out in your KI-LE when I had it so it will probably slide right out.:) But are you going to use your fancy Lathe modding a Mcr27Xr reflector for a Cree in your KI-LE after I did it the hard way with a dremel, file and sanpaper by hand? :huh: Man, you could have saved me some time and made me one.:ohgeez:

Ken:laughing:

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott, the reflector was glued in LE but I think I already popped the reflector out in your KI-LE when I had it so it will probably slide right out.:) But are you going to use your fancy Lathe modding a Mcr27Xr reflector for a Cree in your KI-LE after I did it the hard way with a dremel, file and sanpaper by hand? :huh: Man, you could have saved me some time and made me one.:ohgeez:

Ken:laughing:[/QUOTE]

I meant KI-LE...:banghead:

No way...I'm not going to ruin that tiny beautiful KI-LE light...I fully destroyed my Fenix LOP SE, last night...anybody need a cell tube, and the presentation box for the LOP SE, that's all I have left of the light:rant:

TB

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
tdurand said:
I thought you were working on my crocked-out AAA tube? :naughty:

T

T, from from the sound of what happened to TB`s poor Lop, I guess you lucked out and he wasn`t working on your light last night.:grin2:

Scott, that Lop was a PITA and took a long time putting a Cree, reflector & FluPic for me. Just make yourself a Ti replacement head!:naughty:

Ken

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, this is weird!

I posted to this thread today, early this afternoon, probably about an hour after CMacc, and it's gone!

Anyway, what I said was that Kenster is proving that he is not only one of the most generous people on CPF, but also one of the most talented!

I have long considered milkyspit to be the dremel king, but Kenster, this work is right up there!

VERY impressive!

Bill

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
tdurand said:
I thought you were working on my crocked-out AAA tube? :naughty:

T
After I finish that Titanium 7-UP head we talked about...you know...the Ti head for the 7 Cree emitters, and the McR27XR reflectors...;)

TB

tdurand

Enlightened
TranquillityBase said:
After I finish that Titanium 7-UP head we talked about...you know...the Ti head for the 7 Cree emitters, and the McR27XR reflectors...;)

TB

That's right, but I thought we're doing the McR38XRs instead?

T

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster, to what height was the reflector reduced and how big is the aperture of the Cree-Reflector now ?

Great job, Cheers !

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
tdurand said:
That's right, but I thought we're doing the McR38XRs instead?

T
So much for TOP SECRET!!! Just don't breath a word about the 7-UP 45mm reflectored Ti head, with the 7, 15 watt Osram leds...

TB

tdurand

Enlightened
TranquillityBase said:
So much for TOP SECRET!!! Just don't breath a word about the 7-UP 45mm reflectored Ti head, with the 7, 15 watt Osram leds...

TB

OK, Now you're getting ridiculous....but I like where you're going. Get crackin' on that.:poke:

Sorry about this hijack Ken.

T

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's some gorgeous work, Kenster! Very impressive!

BTW, welcome to the Order of the Dremel! (hee hee!) :)

:bow:

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
Hello, kenster

I have a question about cleaning the reflective surface after reflector cutting, borring etc. How to be able to clean not scraching it?
Could you give me some advice?

Regards,
Kaspars

Last edited: