Measuring Light Output - Best Methods

Bright_Ideas

Newly Enlightened
I was curious to know if there is an affordable yet accurate device for measuring the lumen output of flashlights. I have seen a post before that mentioned a device, but can't seem to find it. I have read about integrating spheres as well - looking for something affordable - under $1500 or so.

The goal is to measure light in lumens with a flashaholics accepted level of accuracy.

Thx.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe that if there was we would all have one and be spending far too much time shining our flashlights into it rather than using them to see things, perhaps even see things outside(!)

Al

Bright_Ideas

Newly Enlightened
How do SF and even smaller companies like nite-ops rate their lights for lumen output? Is it a best guess based off of LED manufacturer specs, drive current, reflector, etc.? It seems every manufacturer has a rated output - just curious on how they come up with it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I would hope that "companies" would send their product(s) to be tested at an accredited test lab or have the calibrated equipment to perform the testing in house.

Al

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my purposes, quickbeam's lightbox apparatus works well, at least for non-hotwire lights.

cy

Flashaholic
it's well documented Surefire has one of world's best testing facilities for light measurements.

other larger mfg like streamlight also will have simular facilities.

Little guys like ARC will send units out to testing lab for output in lumens.